The MT-07 Forum

Question for ASV lever owners

ShiftHer

I just installed a set of ASV (long) levers on my bike. The clutch side is very snug, but the brake side is very loose feeling. I got the ASV levers because I had cheapo levers before and they were quite loose. I'm disappointed to feel this looseness on the pricey ASV lever, so I'm wondering if maybe I installed it wrong or something. Is there a bushing that's supposed to go on the brake side? It's almost like it needs one to fill up the extra space, but none of the bushings that came with would fit, and the screw kind of looks like it has a built in bushing.

• Premium Member

I have no experience with ASV levers... but My generic levers came with some very thin washers to use as shims if needed. Perhaps you could find some thin enough washer(s) to take up the sloppiness you're feeling... This is of course assuming you're talking about slop where the bolt used to mount it to the brake master cylinder, not within the lever itself.

Good luck solving your problem.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

My AVS levers fit nicely.   I did not need any washers.   I too replaced cheap Chinese levers and have been very happy with the AVS levers.  

• Like 2

I have no experience with ASV levers... but My generic levers came with some very thin washers to use as shims if needed. Perhaps you could find some thin enough washer(s) to take up the sloppiness you're feeling... This is of course assuming you're talking about slop where the bolt used to mount it to the brake master cylinder, not within the lever itself. 
Good luck solving your problem.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Any idea what size washers I would be looking for? (I'm not very mechanically inclined, so explicit instructions are helpful lol) 
The nut on the end of the bolt is 10mm I believe, but not sure if that's inner size or outer. 

ninjaiceberg

I have the ASV levers. I believe you can just tighten the screw a bit so it's not as loose.

Hmm, just got back from an hour-long test ride with the ASV levers. Honestly, I'm really not happy with them. The brake lever is so loose, and the clutch lever has like zero friction zone. I know there's an adjustment period with everything to get used to it, but after riding for an hour and fiddling with the locknut thing, I feel like the engagement point for the clutch is just way too far in. I adjusted the nut on the engine case all the way up, and I set the lock nut to almost all the way in, and it still didn't feel right to me.

So, I ended up taking them off when I got home and put the stock levers on to have a reference point and the stock levers fit snug as a bug in a rug (better than my cheapo levers, too). Guess I'll have to end up selling these levers as I can't return them since I've "used" them. Really disappointed.

• 4 years later...
On 6/18/2017 at 10:19 PM, ShiftHer said:

Hmm, just got back from an hour-long test ride with the ASV levers. Honestly, I'm really not happy with them. The brake lever is so loose, and the clutch lever has like zero friction zone. I know there's an adjustment period with everything to get used to it, but after riding for an hour and fiddling with the locknut thing, I feel like the engagement point for the clutch is just way too far in. I adjusted the nut on the engine case all the way up, and I set the lock nut to almost all the way in, and it still didn't feel right to me.

So, I ended up taking them off when I got home and put the stock levers on to have a reference point and the stock levers fit snug as a bug in a rug (better than my cheapo levers, too). Guess I'll have to end up selling these levers as I can't return them since I've "used" them. Really disappointed.

If they're faulty, that's not you're fault. Those levers aren't cheap! Contact whoever you bought them from and tell them that they levers are loose and rattly in the perches. If they don't offer replacements they'll likely offer a refund, or tell them which you prefer.

Your brake lever may have accidentally gotten machined wrong. Not a huge sin on their part, mistakes happen, but no reason for you to eat that.