The MT-07 Forum

Cheap Helmet Lock Idea

jbone

For those who don't like carrying their helmet with them wherever they go; or those who hate the Yamaha helmet lock system, I have a possible solution for you. Use a cable gun lock like this lock . If anyone has ever bought a handgun, it should have come with one. Basically, loop the cable around the front of your helmet and run it through the opening of your passenger foot peg and lock it up. You could also run it through the D ring of your helmet too I suppose. I let the helmet rest on the foot peg, but you could also just let it hang down. The lock is small, cheap and fits perfectly in your trunk. I found it way more convenient and secure than the cheesed*ck one Yamaha created (I still appreciate the effort). If you removed your passenger foot pegs, you should be able to secure it to the frame. Hope this helps!

Damn I didn't even think of that. I have like 20 of those things sitting in a drawer somewhere. I'll have to give that a shot!

Damn I didn't even think of that. I have like 20 of those things sitting in a drawer somewhere. I'll have to give that a shot!

Good luck finding the keys ::)

I just use a regular padlock though the D-ring of my helmet and the slot just above the passenger peg. If you get a padlock for a boat trailer they often are rubber coated and have a weatherproof cap over the key hole too. The lock fits easily under the seat or in your pocket when not in use. Sure someone could cut the strap, but then they just stole a worthless helmet! Been doing this for a couple years now with no issues.

Good luck finding the keys ::)
The keys get stuck in the lock and it all gets thrown in a drawer. Knew I kept those things around for something!

Well, we cant buy guns here but we can at least buy locks for them...
of course you can you can get one of these... aim for the eyes the eyes I say.lol

Potato-Gun-1.jpg?itok=vXDt35XU

Well, we cant buy guns here but we can at least buy locks for them...
of course you can you can get one of these... aim for the eyes the eyes I say.lol

No lock! ?

Potato-Gun-1.jpg?itok=vXDt35XU

Just do it! 

"Keys get stuck in the lock". Hmmm The "sorry officer I locked my helmat to the bike and the key stuck. Can I just ride home without a helmet" defence is unlikely to work.
Basic idea is a really good one though. Suspect a better quality device would last years ( without stuck keys). May check it out myself.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

"Keys get stuck in the lock". Hmmm The "sorry officer I locked my helmat to the bike and the key stuck. Can I just ride home without a helmet" defence is unlikely to work. Basic idea is a really good one though. Suspect a better quality device would last years ( without stuck keys). May check it out myself.
My state , generally speaking, doesn't require helmets. So I guess that excuse would work just fine! 

jbone, my entire country does ( OK it isn't actually MY country, but it is where I was born).

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Great idea ! I found my old lock that came with a Marlin 22 that I bought a couple years ago. I have to say that I thought of this a couple days ago before I seen this post by jbone. Great minds ( FZ-07 owners ) think alike . 

Archived