The MT-07 Forum

Full Electrical Loss

DTX

Riding around this afternoon and the bike had complete electrical loss.. screen went blank, engine died, etc. Turned the ignition to cutoff and turned the key off and on and nothing came up.

Pulled over and got off the bike and a ear piercing screech/whine was coming from the battery box. Whining noise turned off about 3 minutes later. Checked all the connections and fuses under the seat and it all was solid and no blown fuses. Workin on getting it home to work on it and try and figure it out.

Anyone else have a complete electrical loss like this? And did you figure out what it was?

Joyner

Wow, never heard that pull tha battery and take a very close look at it as well as the wireing harness around it. what year bike, how old is the battery

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator

Someone had the start switch stuck in the start position. This would drain your battery and make wierd noises. Could that have been the problem?

No known issues or concerns before this incident? Does it normally start strong? Maybe your battery cables or harness are grounding out somewhere, or you've got a loose connection.

Wow, never heard that pull tha battery and take a very close look at it as well as the wireing harness around it. what year bike, how old is the battery

It's a 2015. Just bought it 2 months ago so I'm unsure on the batteries life. Just pulled the battery and it looks brand new. All connections are looking good. Next to check to make sure it's not grounding out anywhere.

Joyner

No known issues or concerns before this incident? Does it normally start strong? Maybe your battery cables or harness are grounding out somewhere, or you've got a loose connection.

Ran great, started strong everytime. One time the screen blanked out completely mid ride.. powered her down and back up and screen came back no problem. First time for full loss and unable to recover any electricals.

Joyner

You have something cooking or rubbing, pull the entire area apart and scrutinize the wireing

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

@r1limited
Pulling it apart now. Oh the joys of wire checking.
Still trying to figure out what the heck the high pitch whining noise coming from under the seat was

@i28
No unfortunately.. didn't buy the bike from a dealer.

Joyner

• Global Moderator

I still like my idea that the starter switch was stuck in the start position. Are you sure that was not the problem?

@mjh937
Checked the switch and its not stuck. I'll put it apart to make sure. 
Even when switch is off, when i turn the key to on its still dead/blank screen.

Joyner

• Global Moderator
@mjh937 Checked the switch and its not stuck. I'll put it apart to make sure. 
Even when switch is off, when i turn the key to on its still dead/blank screen.
Drat, I thought I was on to something.   Good luck and let us know what you find.  

@r1limited Pulling it apart now. Oh the joys of wire checking.
Still trying to figure out what the heck the high pitch whining noise coming from under the seat was

@i28
No unfortunately.. didn't buy the bike from a dealer.
I get it and understand, that noise could be a cooking battery and it is releasing gases or it could be a bent gas vent and the tank is getting sucked out of pressure.  Not sure if that would cause electrical to shut down, but hey its all electronics.  As for the hissing sqeal you heard, man that bothers me, heard a battery do that just before it exploded. 

Figured it out. The negative from the battery cooked into the positive on the fuse box from the bozo who did an awful job running the wires putting the battery in last time.
Heat wrapped the positive and taped the crap out of the negative. Fried the battery when it shorted, which is where the noise was coming from.
Pulled a battery out of my dads 1200GS and she started back up like a charm.
Thanks for all the quick responses on the fix.

Joyner

• Premium Member

@DTX Glad you were able to resolve the issue and that it will be an easy fix. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

There was a recall on the battery cable. I do not know if yours was done but that may have been the problem.

• Premium Member

Those bozos I tell ya. Good to hear you got it sorted, without the battery exploding of course.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

The recall was for a different length of battery cable the org one could be routed
in a way that caused it to short mine a 2014 mod was one recalled although It did
not cause a problem on mine.

I rerouted it all myself last night and shouldn't have any more problems.. made sure that wouldn't happen again.

@Mr.Puss
Super glad the battery didn't flame out. That would have made for a real bad day haha

Joyner

Figured it out. The negative from the battery cooked into the positive on the fuse box from the bozo who did an awful job running the wires putting the battery in last time. Heat wrapped the positive and taped the crap out of the negative. Fried the battery when it shorted, which is where the noise was coming from.
Pulled a battery out of my dads 1200GS and she started back up like a charm.
Thanks for all the quick responses on the fix.
Boom What I say

DropMIC.jpg

Was my first thought, grounded out. I had a car act similarly when a wires insulation got rubbed off after rubbing on metal and it finally exposed the wire inside. It did happen to be right at the battery so I got lucky in finding it quickly. Hopefully, you find whatever is causing it quickly, too! GL! 

Beemer

The negative from the battery cooked into the positive on the fuse box from the bozo 
Pity you don't have pics and the home address of the retard in question.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

@r1limited you called it man

Here is where the wires cooked together... the previous owner had the positive from the battery under the fuse box guard wrapped around the negative >.<
Heat wrapped the positive to the fuse box, and taped up the negative to the battery.

IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

Joyner

Archived