The MT-07 Forum

Just Made My Night

chuckles

@bellissimoto just made my night, I finally received shipping notification for my Bitubo forks and shock!!! The wait was killing me but I'm sure it will be well worth it.  :)  Ill post my initial impressions next weekend after install.

• Premium Member

Nice! I'm following your example with Bellissimoto and Bitubo. Looking forward to your report.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

I'll be sure to take pictures of the install and maybe do a mini write up. They are comming on the 20th and I am really tempted to take a half day at work to install them haha

• Premium Member

Congrats @chuckles. Mine will be arriving the day after yours. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Install is done, it took about 4 beers to complete and one trip to the hardware store. I took a bunch of pictures so I'll work on a write up over the next few days. I set sag already to 23mm on the front and 25mm on the rear. From my brief ride through town, it is a huge improvement.

• Global Moderator

I am looking forward to your write up. Suspension is about all I have left to do on my bike.

• Premium Member

@chuckles Glad it went smooth for you. Since mine will arrive tomorrow I'm curious, what did you need from the hardware store?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

@chuckles Glad it went smooth for you. Since mine will arrive tomorrow I'm curious, what did you need from the hardware store?
I didn't check to see if the pvc I had laying around fit over the tubes to knock the fork seals in. Turns out that std pvc sizes don't work for our forks so i ended up using electrical tape. If you aren't doing the bushings then you don't have to worry about it. But since you are going in there I would highly recommend replacing the OE bushings with the correct ones from forks by matt. I have 12k on the stock forks and one of the lower bushings had all of the teflon worn off already and the other wasn't far behind.

• Premium Member

Thanks @chuckles. I've got the proper seal slider. Yep, I've got replacement bushings from Matt since I'll be in there anyway. :)

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks @chuckles. I've got the proper seal slider. Yep, I've got replacement bushings from Matt since I'll be in there anyway. :)

No problem, the seal driver was one thing I over looked but luckily the electrical tape worked like a charm. Let me know if you have any questions during install. The directions are a little sparse and getting the forks apart was a pain.

• Premium Member
Thanks @chuckles . I've got the proper seal slider. Yep, I've got replacement bushings from Matt since I'll be in there anyway. :)
@dewman , and @chuckles , Im right behind you cats in receiving this same set-up....I have no clue as to what I need here and it sounds like Im in need of extra bits and pieces....I see I should get new bushings from Matt here and are there extra bits that I should acquire? A handy suggestion but the hell if I'm using tape. :D 
Much thanks!

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

haha pick up the lower fork bushings and seals from matt, then order a 41mm fork seal driver off amazon and get a 28mm shallow socket if you don't already have one. also make sure you have an impact gun and ratchet strap for the lower bolt on the forks. And for the record the tape worked just fine :)

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0262.jpg

• Premium Member
haha pick up the lower fork bushings and seals from matt, then order a 41mm fork seal driver off amazon and get a 28mm shallow socket if you don't already have one. also make sure you have an impact gun and ratchet strap for the lower bolt on the forks. And for the record the tape worked just fine :) 

Great, thanks very much for the tips @chuckles. Im sure tape is fine, call me picky. Ill order up these bits from Matt and amazon, although I'll need to seek out a real man with an impact gun. HA. 

• Premium Member

I order this from Amazon. It's over kill for a single use but anytime I need to service the front end I'll use it.  There are cheaper alternatives for sure.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
Thanks @chuckles . I've got the proper seal slider. Yep, I've got replacement bushings from Matt since I'll be in there anyway. :)
No problem, the seal driver was one thing I over looked but luckily the electrical tape worked like a charm. Let me know if you have any questions during install. The directions are a little sparse and getting the forks apart was a pain.
Sorry @chuckles I think Ive misunderstood your previous post....this tape only used as an alternative the seal slider...got it.  Can you tell I'm new at this? :/ 

• Premium Member

At Matt's suggestion I also ordered new crush washers for the damper rod bolts from him as well. Though he said I'd probably be fine re-using the stock ones. They were cheap insurance.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Sorry @chuckles I think Ive misunderstood your previous post....this tape only used as an alternative the seal slider...got it.  Can you tell I'm new at this? :/
Oh the tape was because I was too impatient to wait on a seal driver, I figured if I screwed up the seals with the tape method I would have to wait for new ones anyways and just order the proper seal driver at the same time. 
I ordered new crush washers for the forks from Matt as well but it came with a smaller copper washer and a silver(aluminum?) washer for each fork. I had a guess at which order they went but I decided to reuse the old ones instead of bothering Matt. So far the seals and crush washer are doing fine.

One other tool I used was a marinade injector syringe that had ml measurements on it. This way I could get exactly 170ml of fork oil, again I used this instead of the bike specific ones because it was cheaper and I didn't have to wait for it to show up. Sadly, there are no real motorcycle shops within 40min of me so I had to make due.

Started my install last night . Got everything apart pretty easy. Took the forks to work to put the impact on them. No problems there. Got home and finished up except I forgot to bring a 28mm from work. So close.

• Premium Member

This thread must have been a premonition of sorts because my shipment of the same just arrived today!   8-) 8-)   Awaiting a message from Matt for word on if he has the extra parts. (bushings etc.)

Is an 'impact' a necessity for this job? I'm a condo dweller without a garage space for such things but it might be likely I can make arrangements for access to one.

This thread must have been a premonition of sorts because my shipment of the same just arrived today!   8-) 8-)   Awaiting a message from Matt for word on if he has the extra parts. (bushings etc.)  
Is an 'impact' a necessity for this job? I'm a condo dweller without a garage space for such things but it might be likely I can make arrangements for access to one.

The impact was required for me, I also had to compress the fork a good ways with a ratchet strap. I used my 1/2" impact gun and 60gal air compressor. Since you're condo bound you can borrow or buy a 3/8" drive or 1/2" drive cordless one. If you don't really have a use for one after just head down to a local auto repair shop and offer to buy them pizza if they let you pull the bolts out in the shop. Look for a non chain shop the techs and service manager are typically more friendly there and bribing them with pizza typically gets you pretty far :)

Archived