The MT-07 Forum

FZ07 Engine Brake questions

roosterxp

this bike runs so lean stock( 14.7:1 on cruise and 0 fuel on decel) that making it richer makes it use less fuel. I now get about an extra 20km out of a tank with it running at 13.5afr ( ie correct afr) across the revs via a reflash. More power AND better fuel economy. My Subaru reacted the same way.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

I didn't have any problems rev matching with the Gladius or VTR250. It maybe the auditory cue missing on the CB500 and FZ. They're both quiet bikes.I'll have to keep working on it.

Richer running will increase consumption. And in my experience, richer mixture will increase engine braking, not decrease it. If you have access to an old carbie bike or now how to tune an FI engine, try to adjust it really lean on the idle circuit and then really rich. If you set it rich enough, revs will drop rapidly enough after you rev it to stall the engine. If it is lean enough, revs will barely drop at all.
Normally you'd be right. However on deceleration, it makes a huge difference to add a little fuel, vs running without any at all.

Richer running will increase consumption. And in my experience, richer mixture will increase engine braking, not decrease it. If you have access to an old carbie bike or now how to tune an FI engine, try to adjust it really lean on the idle circuit and then really rich. If you set it rich enough, revs will drop rapidly enough after you rev it to stall the engine. If it is lean enough, revs will barely drop at all.
Normally you'd be right. However on deceleration, it makes a huge difference to add a little fuel, vs running without any at all.
This question is for noobs. If a person has problems with popping on decel will adding fuel make it pop more? 

Beemer

This question is for noobs. If a person has problems with popping on decel will adding fuel make it pop more?

It depends on how the bike was set up before.

Usually it's assumed that a popping exhaust on decel, that the bike runs much too lean.

Popping exhaust just means unburned fuel entering the exhaust, and the unburned fuel in the exhaust, can be both from too lean, or too rich.

digitalsteve
this bike runs so lean stock( 14.7:1 on cruise and 0 fuel on decel) that making it richer makes it use less fuel. I now get about an extra 20km out of a tank with it running at 13.5afr ( ie correct afr) across the revs via a reflash. More power AND better fuel economy. My Subaru reacted the same way.
Did you flash it yourself @gregjet? Same with the Subaru?
The fuel economy on my Liberty wagon is shitful.

Archived