The MT-07 Forum

Galfer Performance Braking System upgrades!!

Hey Guys,

I just received my bike back from the folks at Galfer Performance Braking Systems! After speaking with them at COTA during the MotoGP weekend, I was told that they were looking for a bike to do some R&D on. Well, I just happen to be semi-local to them so I let them take the bike to do whatever they wanted.

The bike was measured for front and rear braided lines in a couple of different configurations. I also had them install front and rear Wave rotors along with sintered pads to go with them! 

They weren't sure how their GP kit would turn out on the FZ, but the results were great! This kit splits the lines at the master cylinder rather than running one line down and across the front fender to the right side caliper. In my opinion, it looks bitchin and performs just as well. 

From what I understand, they can also provide a kit that replicates the OEM setup. 

This is the first bike that I've ever had for street use, and I've never ridden with braided lines or upgraded rotors and pads. My initial feeling was that the breaks are much more responsive than the OEM setup. I haven't had a chance to go for a long ride yet, but I'm told that brake fade will be of no concern with this setup. I don't plan on tracking this setup so I won't be able to provide any kind of feedback on that sort of abuse. 

Here are a handful of pictures. Enjoy!

This is the stock setup. One line down to the left side caliper and another over the top of the front fender.
19059946_1487312501289230_3208308050686711568_n.jpg

Here is the GP kit setup. It is split just after the master and routed down to each caliper.
19113625_1487312294622584_2584038610792768049_n.jpg

19059397_1487312357955911_4323244889635692449_n.jpg

19113590_1487312354622578_5579990461531284329_n.jpg

19146237_1487312307955916_8027381660071198595_n.jpg

19059225_1487312351289245_8948174083333791561_n.jpg

upload link direct

small point, but aren't brake lines normally routed between the fork legs and not outside them? Looks nice though.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

small point, but aren't brake lines normally routed between the fork legs and not outside them? Looks nice though.
Agreed, it just seems odd to route them from the back to the front (with the lines hanging out the sides) just to route them to the back again. It's a cleaner look to keep them routed behind like how they are from the factory but the way they are isn't really bad and either way they work. Your bike, your choice. I really like the kit, though. How much was it? Have a link? 

Beemer

ducttapewd40

That looks like it's about guaranteed to rub and put wear spots on the inner fork tubes. Maybe it's the angle but it looks like pretty bad routing that could have been easily done better.

there's no way a chromed steel stanchion is going to be threatened by vinyl coated lines. Maybe it's just we're all used to seeing it done one way so this example looks wrong. One could make the case that the lines being outboard significantly increases the chance of them getting caught on something. But to be honest, if you're going to snag something within a few inches of the forks and at anything faster than walking speed there are other, bigger problems with your imminent bodily/bike integrity.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

ducttapewd40

Ok, I didn't realize they had the coating on them so it's not near what I thought it was. I'll still maintain that's a pretty poor routing choice regardless though. I don't like to be the guy that criticizes stuff online, but that would drive me nuts if my bike came back like that.

Thanks. I thought the same thing. I suppose its a bit unconventional, but upon a closer look, lines on the GP bikes are routed in a similar fashion. Not sure if that's why they call this the "GP kit" or if it serves a greater purpose. Loving them so far. 

Ok, I didn't realize they had the coating on them so it's not near what I thought it was. I'll still maintain that's a pretty poor routing choice regardless though. I don't like to be the guy that criticizes stuff online, but that would drive me nuts if my bike came back like that.
If its good enough for a GP bike, its good enough for me. lol The look doesn't bother me at all.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

May be great, but GP or not I couldn't live with the front routing.

just occurred to me why they might have routed it that way - race bike fenders don't have those loops/guides to secure the lines. And thus the lines would very much rub and wear into the thin fiberglass and more importantly tarnish the lovely sponsor decal and paint job.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

Archived