The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 to Wr250R?

jbone

Seriously considering selling the FZ and picking up a WR250R and giving it a motard facelift. I started off on MX years ago and have been missing that flickability and handling factor. I just don't want to regret selling the FZ since they are different beasts and I do love it. Unfortunately I cannot have both. Thoughts? By chance has anyone sold their FZ for the WR or vise versa and regretted it?

What are the conditions you ride in? For city riding, the WR should be competent enough, but for highway riding I presume it will have its work cut out. So perhaps a DRZ400SM would be better for that? Anyway, I can easily understand the attraction of small, nimble bikes with pothole absorbing suspension.

Unfortunately I cannot have both. Thoughts?
rubbish. you're not trying hard enough. :) 

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I would go the DRZ400sm and clean it up ( lots to do but much available to do it both hardware and information). The 440 full piston/bore kit is worth the money. Reliable and fun, except for the float valve needle which leak often, and fill you crankcase with fue.... Worth changing to a more reliable carby preferably a flat slide non CV. Large tanks available aftermarket ( stock is a peanut).
The WR450 IS a better bike but titanium valves make it constant work. The DRZ400SM also has 17" wheels front and back so good tyres available. I put Bridgestone s21's on one. 400-450 is considerably better on the highway than a 250 and pretty mauch the same physical size.
You will miss the 07. It is one of those bikes you will wish you hadn't sold.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

What are the conditions you ride in? For city riding, the WR should be competent enough, but for highway riding I presume it will have its work cut out. So perhaps a DRZ400SM would be better for that? Anyway, I can easily understand the attraction of small, nimble bikes with pothole absorbing suspension.
My riding is about 60/40 country/city. Country roads are usually a bit rough though.  

I have a 2007 DRZ400sm with 1170 original miles. It will be going on the market this week as soon as I button it up. All I have done to it isto remove the damn CA smog crap mod. Its bone stock, has new sliders. If you are in the Putrid Sound area of WA state lemme know

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

I've commuted 30 minutes each way at 60+mph on my DRZ-SM but my ass hurt after 20 even with (because?) of the high, foam seat so I'd tool down the road on the pegs. Drivers freak out. The FZ07 et. al. comfortably do 80mph without a sweat and good for hours of riding at a stretch. You can make the WR250 work I'm sure with big-block tires. The WR250 comes in SM guise still?

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I feel that if you can give up your 689cc of power and torque and be satisfied with 249cc, instead, then go for it.
You will transition to making time by not slowing down, not with power and torque, so it's a different riding experience.
Both ways can be very fun, so ponder it over.

I ride a 2015 FZ07 today, but I used to ride both a 2008 WR250R and a 2008 WR250X (the motard version).
Heck, I also owned a 2009 Suzuki DR-Z400SM with a couple thousand dollars worth of the popular mods for those bikes.
Believe it or not, I preferred the WR250X over the DR-Z400SM.
The DR-Z wasn't all that great on the freeway with it's 5-speed transmission that sorely needed a 6th gear for that stuff.
Back roads were fine.

The WR250X and WR250R are little revers on the street that love to scream all over the place with lots of full throttle (when possible), and it is right at home on the curviest, bumpiest back roads where regular street bikes slow way down.
Feels fun doing that in sport riding mode.
Just realize you'll be dropping down to about 27-ish rear wheel horsepower.

Which do I prefer having owned both?
The FZ07.
It's a very well-balanced bike as far as size, weight, agility, and power goes.
Great combination of traits.

• Global Moderator

I came from a WR250X when buying my FZ07 and all I can say is as much as I loved the WR, the FZ is so much more in every way. I definitely do not miss the horrible dash, tiny tank and 2x4 seat and lack of power. It might be more flickable then a FZ, but our bikes are still lightweights compared top what else is out there. I would never trade back although I wouldn't mind having a WR250R/X as a second bike. They are great little bikes.

I have a 2007 DRZ400sm with 1170 original miles. It will be going on the market this week as soon as I button it up. All I have done to it isto remove the damn CA smog crap mod. Its bone stock, has new sliders. If you are in the Putrid Sound area of WA state lemme know
I'm in Michigan, so that won't work. Thanks for reaching out though!

I would love a super motard except for the fact I want to be able to ride for hours at a time and my last street & trail bikes seat (XT350) was very uncomfortable after the first hour of riding because it's seat is so narrow. The edge of the seat always pressed into the underside of the legs/butt, causing severe aching. Since most seats are like that on any dirt bike I wouldn't recommend one if you want to ride a lot, unless your butt is very narrow and matches that type of seat.

Beemer

Our DRZ400SM had a lowered wider Seat Concepts seatpad/cover on it. HUGE improvement. Good one the highway. I am a big fan of SC seats.
The biggest problem was the small tank. couldn't even get from the NEXT town to home on a full tank (200km). We put a safari tank on it (19litres). It is better on the road geared UP ( +1 front, -1 back) . YZetc is pretty much on the money about stock gearing. Same as i reckon the 07 needs, as on the DRZ it improved the vibration at 100kph, got better fuel economy , improved top speed and made first usable on the road.
The problem with 21" front wheels is getting a decent road tyre for them. 19" isn't much better, though the crop of big adventure bikes with 19's has improved that.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Pirelli used to make the MT75 for 21 in front wheels. Unfortunately, not anymore. The MT75 cut my braking distance from 54 to 46 metres from 100 kph on my Vulcan 800A over the stock Bridgestone. A whole different world.

• Premium Member

Just decide what YOU want to do... as best you can; DO it and don't look back!!! And, ALL the best!!!

I owned a WR250X 2010. Great commuter bike and a blast on unpaved roads. Demo ride The DRZ400SM before purchase. The Suzuk is a pain on highways. The FZ07 is also fun on unpaved roads. I have Avon Trailrider. Sure the WR250 was more fun on forest roads. But the FZ07, for me, is a better do it all bike.

I sold the WR because the taste of doing some short road trips came back.

The main thing for you is, i guess, find what kind of riding you want to do.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

Archived