The MT-07 Forum

Tar Snakes...

jbone

Tar snakes seemed to just explode this year in my area and I feel like I'm going to get bit real soon. How many people have gone down in turns because of these rotten things? I tip-toe around them in my turns and I still feel like I'm going down for a half-second. Tips or pointers ?

My rear always kicks out on fresher tar snakes but it hooks back up. Just like on painted lines in the rain.

ducttapewd40

I finally bought a dirt bike a few years ago and have since become much more comfortable with losing traction after sliding that thing around in the sand. I've slid on gravel and oil many times since I've been riding and found panic is probably your worst enemy in that moment. Practice and familiarity are your friend.

It might not be the most practical thing to go buy a dirt bike or try sliding your FZ around on purpose, but I've definitely become a better rider because of it.

• Premium Member

I hate tar snakes, I was tipping in the other day as cautiously as can be, with tar snakes at different sections or the corner. There was no clear line and the front goes, comes back, again and again. The back stepping out doesn't bother me so much as the front. I just baby the bike when they are plentiful.

• Global Moderator

I close my eyes and use the Force. It never works out well so don't do that :)

Making sure your suspension is set up properly will really help with tar snakes and any other bumps or obstacles. I've gone over them at significant lean angles and speeds on mountain roads and other than the medium-jostle I experience it's not too unsettling. Granted, I've upgraded my suspension with pattonme's fork cartridge kit and a matris rear shock, but just setting sag and preload properly on the stock setup will help immensely.

• Premium Member

"Tar snakes" I'm older than rocks and I've never heard that before, hehehe. Cute. (Btw, it did conjure some interesting imagery of a moment or two... especially "exploding" ones.)

• Premium Member
"Tar snakes" I'm older than rocks and I've never heard that before, hehehe. Cute. (Btw, it did conjure some interesting imagery of a moment or two... especially "exploding" ones.)
I had to google the term myself. So you're not alone.  :D 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

All good points to consider. It's just a different kind of feeling to me I guess. Loose gravel, dirt, etc, I'm more comfy with. It'll just take some getting used to I suppose.

Archived