The MT-07 Forum

NEW MWR Filtercover breaks "cover"

bellissimoto

Does 2WDW have a tune for this particular air filter?

I have no idea. Give em a call or , to ge their or anyones attention, put an @ in front of their username like this, @2wheeldynoworks . Next time they login they'll get a notification

pineappleunderthesea
Does 2WDW have a tune for this particular air filter?
I had emailed them asking them if I would be OK running the MWR since my bike was tuned with the stock filter snorkel out, and they said it would be fine with the MWR filter. And to make sure the run high octane. 
But to your point, I didn't specifically ask if they had a tune for the filter....

I heard from Nels that they have the tune for the MWR filter and new lid. If you were running stock and put this setup in, you BADLY need to get some adjustment, 'cause you'll be running very lean.

pineappleunderthesea
Does this filter require replacing or can you just clean it after awhile?

You need to clean it every 10,000 miles or so. MWR has a cleaning and oil kit. (Not sure if you can use the same cleaner and oil as a K&N filter).

bellissimoto
Does this filter require replacing or can you just clean it after awhile?
You need to clean it every 10,000 miles or so. MWR has a cleaning and oil kit. (Not sure if you can use the same cleaner and oil as a K&N filter).

Of course, MWR states to use their cleaner and oil kit, but people have been successful in using oils and cleaners designed for FOAM filters (read: Not K&N paper filters, that's NOT recommended)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

• 2 weeks later...
bellissimoto

Quick heads up for the 6 of you waiting for your MWR Air Filter and Filtercover...

I just got notification this morning that our shipment left Europe today!

:)

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

• Like 1

• Premium Member
panchobullet

Finally had some time to install the cover today and did a quick comparison against DNA cover. MWR weight is about 1/4 of DNA and fits perfectly on the MWR filter allowing 100% use of filter opening versus aprox 85% DNA cover provides. Here a some pics for those of you that were about to say "pics or it didnt happen"...

18049661_10211070985424835_469988457_o.jpg

18015504_10211070985104827_1911680549_o.jpg

18015757_10211070985064826_1536195372_o.jpg

Cheers!
- Pancho

• Like 1

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Global Moderator
Finally had some time to install the cover today and did a quick comparison against DNA cover. MWR weight is about 1/4 of DNA and fits perfectly on the MWR filter allowing 100% use of filter opening versus aprox 85% DNA cover provides. Here a some pics for those of you that were about to say "pics or it didnt happen"...  
18049661_10211070985424835_469988457_o.jpg

18015504_10211070985104827_1911680549_o.jpg

18015757_10211070985064826_1536195372_o.jpg

Cheers!
- Pancho
So you're the reason @bellissimoto sponsors a new R3 team ;) 
Hmmmm.... do i want to change out the filter lid, or should i just get rid of the airbox altogether....

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Quick heads up for the 6 of you waiting for your MWR Air Filter and Filtercover... 

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

Yessss! That's awesome news to hear after what feels like forever @bellissimoto lol! Ive been waiting for mine to finally see if the new improved airflow will match my ECU tune. Give me a nice umph in power!

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• Premium Member
panchobullet
Hmmmm.... do i want to change out the filter lid, or should i just get rid of the airbox altogether....

LOL... didnt think about it!... but maybe? hehehehe... just happy to keep doing business with @pgeldz and @bellissimoto as they have been helping me get Dark-Y custom build as I wanted!... just a few more mods to go (hopefully this year) and Dark-Y project will be 100% done. Need to save a lot of cash anyway, but looking forward to use it when I have it! :-d

About getting the new lid or get rid of airbox, it really depends how much you want to spend and the look you want to go for. There is a big difference in price between the MWR lid and the hordpower air box (if that's what you are thinking), but whatever that makes you happy is the right call !

- Pancho
  • Like 2

You've never seen me cause I'm too damn fast!

• Global Moderator

LOL... didnt think about it!... but maybe? hehehehe... just happy to keep doing business with @pgeldz and @bellissimoto as they have been helping me get Dark-Y custom build as I wanted!... just a few more mods to go (hopefully this year) and Dark-Y project will be 100% done. Need to save a lot of cash anyway, but looking forward to use it when I have it! :-d 
About getting the new lid or get rid of airbox, it really depends how much you want to spend and the look you want to go for. There is a big difference in price between the MWR lid and the hordpower air box (if that's what you are thinking), but whatever that makes you happy is the right call !

- Pancho

Yeah... big difference in price
But worth it? Idk
Still want to work on some sims to see about changing the stock airbox

• Global Moderator
What is the actual performance gain of MWR filters?

@pgeldz was abgle to eek out another 1hp over the DNA filter in his bike, using the same tune
  • Like 2

- Paul

BellissiMoto.com

Good to hear - Can't wait.
  • Like 1

Just received my MWR filter combo in the mail this morning! Awesome delivery time after it came in from Europe @pgeldz @bellissimoto ! I'm going to try and install it by this weekend and give my review as I putt putt around LA. I'm hoping it'll help to correct my reflash from Graves and free up some lost power now that im running a proper air flow to fuel ratio. No more stock! Woooo lol

These look promising! (Obviously did not open the filter bag due to the oil residue being on it)

20170425_001931.jpg

• Like 3

'15 Pearl White FZ-07 | Yoshi R77 Exhaust | ECU Reflash | Mad Hornets Shorty Levers | EvoTech Rad Guard | Yamaha Comfort Saddle | TST Industries Integrated Taillight | Motodynamics Fender Eliminator | Yamaha OEM Front LED Signals | Phillips MaxVision 130+ Bulb | OES Front/Rear Axle Sliders | Driven Racing TT Rearsets | Woodcraft 1.5" Clip-Ons | Woodcraft Engine & Water Pump Crash Cover | OEM Motocage Cage | LEDGlow SMD Mini Advanced Lighting Kit | Gilles Tooling Gauge Relocation Kit |

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 2wheeler
Good question - I would really like to see some apples-to-apples dyno charts from the same bike on the same day by the same tuner showing:

Stock-vs-MWR filter only-vs-MWR filter and MWR lid

That would be the real tell

I have the MWR filter with the stock lid and no snorkel - bike runs great, but I have proven to myself that my butt dyno is highly inaccurate. Dyno charts when everything is properly set-up, speak volumes!

bellissimoto
Do these need to be oiled prior to first use, and what oil can we use? Kandn?

An oil made for foam air filters should work, but MWR recommends their own oil and cleaner...

Good question - I would really like to see some apples-to-apples dyno charts from the same bike on the same day by the same tuner showing:  
Stock-vs-MWR filter only-vs-MWR filter and MWR lid

That would be the real tell

I have the MWR filter with the stock lid and no snorkel - bike runs great, but I have proven to myself that my butt dyno is highly inaccurate. Dyno charts when everything is properly set-up, speak volumes!

This test has been done before with the DNA filter and DNA cover, on my bike, when Dyno Jet themselves developed the PCV for the FZ-07 during initial testing. Read this thread

It was good for 2-2.5 hp over stock, and since later in the thread I proved the MWR filter made even more HP, I'd say it's reasonable to assume the MWR filter and cover combo, with the MWR cover having even a bigger opening to match the filter, would make the same if not MORE than the DNA combo that was dyno tested...

Just sayin'

;)

- PaulBellissiMoto.com

Guest 2wheeler
bellissimoto
In my initial post, I said:  
"I would really like to see some apples-to-apples dyno charts from the same bike on the same day by the same tuner showing:

Stock-vs-MWR filter only-vs-MWR filter and MWR lid"

Nobody has yet to show a dyno chart with this comparison, and the one thing I learned from my MWR/snorkel experiment with Nels from 2WDW is that one can never "assume"! I thoroughly assumed that my combo had given me a noticeable increase in HP, but I actually lost 2 HP. After seeing the results of Sansnombre's experiment, I have further learned not to assume that an intake tweak is a guaranteed power gain. A lot of his results flew in the face of the logic of a neophyte too.

https://fz07.org/thread/7684/intake-simulation-adding-velocity-stack

I'm just sayin that it would be great to see a dyno chart showing a Stock-vs-MWR filter only-vs-MWR filter and MWR lid comparison which will eliminate any ambiquity on the performance of the MWR filter/lid.

I hear ya. I may have mis-read your request. Still, I talked to Nels, and you didn't loose 2 hp because of the MWR filter. Your snorkel was the issue.

- Paul

• Like 1

My dyno chart from my custom dyno tune on the FZ. I have the new MWR filter/lid combo from @bellissimoto and a Yoshimura R77 full exhaust system installed. This was tuned in Los Angeles with weather conditions of 87 degrees and 32% humidity respectively. At night when it's cooler out here, like 63 degrees, the power difference really shows. It swells up torque even harder! c26dbb2903fb9fd10b25325d3c89f1ac.jpg

• Like 2

Guest 2wheeler

Nobody has yet to show a dyno chart with this comparison, and the one thing I learned from my MWR/snorkel experiment with Nels from 2WDW is that one can never "assume"! I thoroughly assumed that my combo had given me a noticeable increase in HP, but I actually lost 2 HP.

I hear ya. I may have mis-read your request. Still, I talked to Nels, and you didn't loose 2 hp because of the MWR filter. Your snorkel was the issue. 
- Paul

Never said that I lost 2 HP from the MWR alone.... I just mentioned the MWR/snorkel combo as an example of my making a false assumption regarding performance.

I seriously don't want to get into a pissing match here. I'm just seriously interested in an apples-to-apples dyno run to see what the true effect of the MWR is. As the US importer of the MWR, it is worth your time and money to do that as it would be great advertisng for you assuming the results are favorable.

FYI, Go4Geoff's dyno chart shows less performance than 2WDW's with the Yoshi

https://fz07.org/thread/2625/fz-07-flash-dyno-charts?page=1