The MT-07 Forum

Helmet Lock

enupe

That's actually pretty awesome, I'll look into it when my wallet has money in it. But I'm always freaked out about people fucking with my helmet anyway.

twowheeladdict

Cool ideas as long as you have a budget helmet. High end, or fancy paint jobs will lure a thief who might just cut the strap.

I use a 3 foot cable, because I don't leave the helmet and not leave the jacket. Cable goes through the sleeves and the chin bar of the helmet. Better protection.

2015 FZ-07

Fearedbynone

i was on sato's email list for when this was released. i love it. looks factory, works really well with 2 helmets.

Dave

• Premium Member

@fearedbynone I have already placed my order for it. It's a nice little addition for security purposes and is indiscrete on the bike. Plus I am all about additions looking factory like.

• Premium Member

From the pic at the site you posted, the lock appears to just secure the "buckle"... perhaps. If correct, that wouldn't stop much. One quick slice with a pocket box-cutter and the helmet is gone. That done, all it takes is for the new "owner" to replace the strap. The bike locks can be strung through the eye-opening, which is a completely different thing to "cut" loose. At least, then they have to have a pair of semi-decent bolt-cutters.

The cable lock does fit through the chin guard. I use my lock at work and I'm in a secured garage. It's only intended to thwart the casual would be thief and my helmet is not worth mega bucks.

• Global Moderator
From the pic at the site you posted, the lock appears to just secure the "buckle"... perhaps. If correct, that wouldn't stop much. One quick slice with a pocket box-cutter and the helmet is gone. That done, all it takes is for the new "owner" to replace the strap. The bike locks can be strung through the eye-opening, which is a completely different thing to "cut" loose. At least, then they have to have a pair of semi-decent bolt-cutters.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the way to decommission an old helmet is to cut off the straps. I cannot remember where I saw that but I did a quick search and could not find any helmet straps available for sale. If you cut the strap to steal the helmet I think you will just end up with an expensive paperweight. 

yamahazaki
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the way to decommission an old helmet is to cut off the straps. I cannot remember where I saw that but I did a quick search and could not find any helmet straps available for sale. If you cut the strap to steal the helmet I think you will just end up with an expensive paperweight. 
Helmets make terrible paperweights.  Very bulky.  Unruly.  Takes up too much space on a desk.

• Premium Member

Come on, guys, are you serious?

Do you not think that SOMEone could not come up with a way to fab/replace straps... seriously? Consider this scenario... (if you cannot think of any other)... an expensive helmet is stolen to be resold. Straps from an inexpensive helmet (it probably stolen, too) are cut "out" of that helmet and epoxied into the expensive one. The mark looks over the helmet and pays a cut-rate for an otherwise "great helmet" at a great price. Does it matter to the thief that the straps will pull out in a crash, and truth be known perhaps in no other situation? Do you really think the only ones to steal things are personal "collectors?"

• Global Moderator

I think it more likely the thief would steal it, realize it has no value and toss it in a dumpster. That still sucks for the owner and is why I do not leave my helmet with my bike.

Maybe this is just me, but I would more use this to transport a second helmet and keep it on the bike when I'm not really worried about it being stolen. If I am somewhere where I am worried it will be stolen I carry my helmet with me. No matter how inconvenient it is. At least in New York state you need a helmet to ride your bike and if a thief wants your stuff, it doesn't matter how much you lock it up, they will find a way to get it. So I will lock my jacket up in a questionable area, but I always carry my helmet if I have doubts because even if everything else gets stolen, I can still ride home if I have my helmet.

• 2 years later...
AlbatrossCafe

That helmet lock would be a great solution if it used the original key. Also if it was not SEVENTY FIVE dollars. I hate the OEM helmet lock situation. It is so bad. Worst thing about this bike by far.

Archived