The MT-07 Forum

Advice FZ-07 vs FZ-09 vs Other

viciousxusmc

viciousxusmc

I know this topic has come up before.  I have google and read every post I could find across all the forums and watched all the YouTube videos and still have not come up with much a conclusion for myself.

But the combination of variables I have in making my decision are different than most riders so I figured I would ask the question for myself and see what kind of feedback I get.

So here is the deal: I have ridden before but over a decade ago, at this point you may as well call me a new rider.
My first battle was to determine cruiser vs sport because I like the more "mature" look and opinion you get for riding a sporty cruiser (Think Honda Shadow, Harley Sportster etc) vs a Crotch Rocket.  I don't much want the attention of La Policia. 

The cruiser lost for a few reasons.  First I have a bad back, currently 3 herniated disks and I live in pain every day.  I found the more upright seating on a cruiser actually will hurt me more than having my back bent and leaning forward so where other parts of my body can take the shock vs sitting straight up.

Likewise still not wanting to go full on super sport, I ended up looking into "Standard" bikes to cut the difference.
I really like the look and capabilities of the FZ07 and FZ09.

So I have been really hashing it out between these two for a while.  Cost, Capabilities, Fuel Cost, Insurance Cost, Etc.
I am pretty much at a tie, the FZ07 wins in more categories than the 09 but the majority of my riding is a 30 mile commute to/from work on the highway where the average speed of cars on a good day is 75mph sometimes in the 80's.

I have a gut feeling that I will feel the 07 is not quite adequate in that speed range, especially should I need to accelerate quickly to give myself distance or avoid trouble.  So that speed/power category is the only reason the FZ09 has a strong interest for me.  Plus I tend to keep things forever once I get them, if I am going to get one bike to keep until it dies I think a larger bike might be a better investment.

However one of the main complaints i see with both bikes is the wind issue in speeds of 70mph+ and the majority of my ride will be in those conditions, so that is where the "other" comes into play.  Something like a CBR600RR might actually be the right fit for me despite my initial avoidance to the crotch rocket idea.   Once I started to think what I really want in the bike, I discarded the idea of appearance and stereotypes and got to the facts.

I want a light, fast, easy to control, versatile motorcycle, and while I thought the full lean may mess with my back, the last time I was on one a long time ago I actually probably had more of my weight on my belly and arms not my back due to leveraging on the tank.  That nice tuck behind the wind screen may be the ticket to a comfortable 75mph cruse to work.

Now I know ultimately the decision is mine and nobody can speak on my behalf to what will be more comfortable or what I will enjoy more, but if any of you had had to weigh in on some of the same circumstances as me (cost, single bike w/o plans to upgrade, bad back, high speed daily commute, etc) I would be interested to know where your research had led you and what your ultimate decision was as well as why.

Also curious where the balancing point is between engine size and bike type for insurance.  Example FZ07 is going to be cheaper than FZ09 because the 09 is a similar bike with more power.  But if you go to say a CBR600RR where the engine is smaller but its considered sport, would that insurance cost actually meet/beat say the FZ09?  Pretty sure I can just get some online quotes to check that for myself but just another thought that is bouncing around my head. 

Anyways sorry for the long read, but I would rather give more information rather than not enough.

I am just in research phase right now getting prepared to start hunting down the bike I would want to purchase.

• Premium Member

I haven't ridden the 09, but have close to 21,XXX miles on the 07.

I primarily do 70-80 mph commutes. Was a 55 mile 1 way ordeal, now it's 35 on a different, but similar route.

To me, there's plenty of bike left at those speeds to get up and go. Maybe not 70-110 in 3/4 of a second like some bikes, but enough for me to navigate the interstate "safely".

I find the bike comfortable at speed without a headwind and a slight bit more cumbersome when dealing with strong fronts. Still it hasn't deterred me one bit, but I am the kind to make do with what I have. I suspect that you will want (or need) to add a windscreen since you have back issues, if you're easily swayed by discomfort, or find yourself in windy territories.

As for insurance, I have had great results. I'm a 27 year old male with a clean record. My annual premium is $350 and through Progressive. And it's not the bare minimum, but a step above in coverage and some perks like roadside asistance.(insurance minimums are usually not enough when you actually have to use it.)

Other things I like for the 07 are incredibly simple, low cost maintenance, which I do myself and the really good fuel economy I get. Hardly ever dips below 55 mpg.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member

I will cruise in 6th at 75, and if I need to pass someone in a hurry I can always drop a gear and go. Plenty of room in the rev range of 5th. Otherwise a twist of the throttle gives you adequate passing speed in 6th. Both bikes are naked of course, so no matter which one you went with you will want a windscreen of some sort. Plenty of info on this forum about those too.

Good luck with your choice!

The FZ07 should meet all your needs solidly, but you will always have a lingering doubt that you should've gotten the 09.

If you get the 09, you won't have the "should've/could've" but you have to live with its ugly while you daydream of prettier bikes.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

• Global Moderator

I called my insurance company with a list of bikes I was looking at and they gave me quotes over the phone. As far as power goes, I have had my bike for almost two years and over 6,000 miles and I am still more than happy with the power of it. Commuting every day at freeway speeds is a different matter. I think that would get old fast on any naked bike. Have you considered something like the Ninja 650R? I think a day of test rides is definitely in your future.

viciousxusmc

Yes I do need to go test ride as much as I can.

Try a few bikes of varying power and style.

I like Hondas so was looking at the CBR600RR and the CBR650F and the like.

If I do not want to plop down and finance a new bike some of these may be much easier to find used cheap, was looking at the SV650's before I started to look at the FZ07.

Financing means required full coverage, so if I finance a high end sport bike and then have to eat the insurance ontop of it that might not be a good idea unless I am doing it purely for the love of the bike. However I like the idea of having the FZ07 for the fun and economy of it. The 07 will definitely beat the 09 in economy. So it's looking like the winner if i like it once i take it out on the road for a test drive.

Someone correct me, but I'm fairly certain the FZ09 is much more upright ergos than the FZ07.

Engaging with people that have personality disorders on a message board is like arguing with a rock.

if i could turn back time i would get an fz-09

I love my fz07 but would love the extra power of the fz09. i am a commuter and ride 50mi a day, I've had my fz07 for a year.

Since i can't sell my fz07 for what i would want I'm souping the Shet out of it till its the best bike I've had lol.

Both bikes stock are not all that great.  It takes some money and some mods to make them rad.  When you get there though, its sick!!

For me, shopping around with different companies, on avg. the insurance for Fz07 was about 300-400 per year while the Fz09 was around 600 a year.

Also I'd like to point out you always have the option of the best of both worlds (cruiser + fz09), you have the retro/mature XSR900 (ok, maybe cruiser was the wrong word) option for an extra 1500 dollars OTD (well, you may save more money on the FZ09 depending on model year/left over bargains).

XSR900.jpg

I'm not necessarily trying to sway you past the FZ07, if the XSR700 was available here, I would recommend looking into that as well.

bigdaddybane

I was on the same boat as you, torned between FZ07 and FZ09. I decided to go with 09 based on engine size, power band and highway usability. Then I took both bikes for a test ride ... after only half an hour I found out how good and fun FZ07 really is. There is no power issue on this bike whatsoever. Although I'm not gonna win many races against SS, FZ07 is far from being underpowered. Anyway I changed my mind and went with 07 ... after about month and a half I know I made a right choice. I gotta admit I'm not a speed ticket collector, love to go fast when it's safe and FZ07 takes me there pretty quickly. On the other hand FZ09 is a torque monster and pretty darn quick bike but if speed is something that you really crave then I think SS will be your best choice.

1. I have 2 herniated lower disks
2. I HEARD the fz07 is more comfortable that the 09
3. I'm coming from an r1, the commute was killing my back
4. I commute 100 miles a day (50 each way) (I've had the bike since February, and already have almost 8k miles) and together with a krega tail bag, I have yet to have back issues. I have yet to be discouraged from any pain
5. Again, coming from an r1, a 2 year old son and getting older, the fz07 is absolutely way more fun for me that the r1.
6. The only reason I'd consider getting a 09 is for the looks, the 07 has plenty of power. Throw an exhaust on her and you will feel like you're ridding a straight beast.

Hope some of this helped.

viciousxusmc

Really awesome recommendation on the XSR700, looks like there is a XSR900 as well lol, so you still get the debate on what motor to go with.

• Premium Member
1. I have 2 herniated lower disks 2. I HEARD the fz07 is more comfortable that the 09
3. I'm coming from an r1, the commute was killing my back
4. I commute 100 miles a day (50 each way) (I've had the bike since February, and already have almost 8k miles) and together with a krega tail bag, I have yet to have back issues. I have yet to be discouraged from any pain
5. Again, coming from an r1, a 2 year old son and getting older, the fz07 is absolutely way more fun for me that the r1.
6. The only reason I'd consider getting a 09 is for the looks, the 07 has plenty of power. Throw an exhaust on her and you will feel like you're ridding a straight beast.

Hope some of this helped.

I, too, have herniated discs (with rheumatoid arthritis) and the fz07 is very comfortable. The upright position, slightly forward leaning, is perfect for my back. I'm about 5'10", slim @ 140 lbs, and this bike fits.  
Love the feel of the engine.

I know how you feel, it took me weeks to narrow my choice down to three bikes and then another few to make my final decision. I have a pinched nerve in my lower back and this bike does not mess with it. I'm 5'8" and I bend forward just slightly, a few inches when riding. On Florida highways people cruise on average between 70 and 80 mph. and I'm one of them. I usually cruise at 80/85 to make good time and if I wanted to cruise anywhere between 85 and 100 I could but even with my small windscreen it starts getting choppy around 85 due to wind blast coming over the shield and hitting the helmet. It may be windier in Fl. than where you're at (coastal breezes constantly) so that may be something to consider. I think the bike has enough cruising power for anyone, whether they desire more or not. The other day I entered the highway and when I merged @ around 70 mph. there were cars coming up on me (not right on me but too close for my liking) and I like cars that look like dots in my mirror better so I went full throttle in 4th while shifting up around 8k rpm to 6th and within seconds I was up to 103 mph. You don't have to worry about having enough cruising power with an FZ-07. 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

"I'm about 5'10", slim @ 140 lbs, and this bike fits."
---- I'm 5'8" @ 195 lbs.  :-/

[attachment id=1720" thumbnail="1]

Beemer

viciousxusmc

Also in Florida :)
Looks like the FZ-07 will have the power I need.

I'll have to see how the wind issue pans out, and maybe get a wind screen if needed.

I like the XSR700 a lot! but it looks like its not stateside (atleast not yet) but strage enough plans to bring the XSR900 over are in place.

So it might come down to a FZ-07 vs XSR900 choice, but I think the XSR700 would be the easy win for me if I find it comfortable and it was available.

If nothing else, the engine on this bike is a gem. All the pro reviews say the same thing.

Beemer

• Global Moderator
Also in Florida :) Looks like the FZ-07 will have the power I need.

I'll have to see how the wind issue pans out, and maybe get a wind screen if needed.

I like the XSR700 a lot! but it looks like its not stateside (atleast not yet) but strage enough plans to bring the XSR900 over are in place.

So it might come down to a FZ-07 vs XSR900 choice, but I think the XSR700 would be the easy win for me if I find it comfortable and it was available.
The xsr900 is here already

But with the moolah you save buyin the fz, you can afford some upgrades( exh,flash,suspension, stickers)

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Just an aside issue. If you have to pick up the 07 instead of the 09 you back is going to like you a lot more picking the up the 07. For a start the 07 is , I think THE lightest mid sized twin ( the KTM690 is lighter but it's a single) on the market and the weight is relatively low. The 09 is heavier AND a bit top heavy which makes it harder to pick up if it is having a little lie down.
Number 2: Both bikes have crap suspension and aweful seats. Your back will not like this...at all. You will need to change at least the rear suspension on both bikes. Fixing the seat on the 07 is easy. Seat concepts do a foam and cover recocer that works brilliantly. Just did mine and worth the money. On that note a KTM690 Duke has a seat that is ( for some people) "the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on on a motorcycle". How do I know this? My girlfriend has one. We have an intercom. She continually reminds me of exactly the fact ad nauseum... BTW she is 80kg(180lbs) so not a lightweight and has been riding motorcycles for 40 years...

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• 2 weeks later...

The XSR900 is already here. I would say with your commute and back to stick to the FZ's. The reason I say this that the FZ looks good with a few of the windscreens on the market. The XSR styling isn't going to lend itself to a windscreen which you're probably going to need with the speed of your commute. My windscreen comes in for my 07 today and I can't wait to slap it on for comfort over 70mph. The 07 has PLENTY of power up through about 85mph in my opinion. Above that acceleration starts to slow, though it could be different for you as I am a 315lb large rider and my upper body acts like a parachute.

Sometime I wonder if I should have gone with the 09 but being a new rider I know that there's no way I'm maxing out the potential on the 07. It really pulls hard and sounds fantastic with an exhaust.

• Global Moderator

I agree. There really is no bad choice in that group. Yamaha is consistently hitting it out of the park these days.

• Premium Member

I posted this when I first got the bike...my comparisons from different bikes I was considering.  Maybe it can help you...

:)

- Paulie

Archived