The MT-07 Forum

So About That Disk Lock.....

Guest 2wheeler

Guest 2wheeler

When I bought a Xena disk lock for my previous bike the people at the dealership told me to buy a reminder cable because people forget they have it on their bike, try to ride off, and trash their disk brake. I thought what freaking idiot would do that!!!

Well.... I would be one of those freaking idiots - sorta

I never really used it until I got the FZ. So yesterday I was at an event, and came out to leave. Fortunately I started out very slowly, and all I got was a clunk sound and obviously I didn't go anywhere. Needless to say, my first thought was "You f...ing idiot!". The good news was that I didn't hurt anything. They make those cable reminders for a reason, and I guess I was not exempt. The bad news is that I ACTUALLY bought one when I bought the lock. Obviously the reminder cable is going to be added to my carry gear in the future.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Or you can get one of these. I haven't purchased a disk lock yet but when I do I will have the cable or ignition key stop sign thingy.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I have the XENA (XX10-SS) Disc-Lock Alarm and they go off as soon as I move the handle bars. I have been using this for more than a year now and it always went off every time the sensor is triggered. The first battery lasted at least 7 months before I replaced it.

http://www.amazon.com/XX10-SS-Disc-Lock-Alarm-Motorcycle-Stainless/dp/B005CCC2P2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450125986&sr=8-1&keywords=xena+motorcycle+lock

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
A good rule of thumb is to put the lock up against the caliper that way there is very minimal movement if u do in fact forget it.
Make sure it is close to the caliper for the direction you will get out of the parking spot. If you are going forward out of the spot put it behind the caliper. If you are backing out of a parking spot put it in front of the caliper/fork tube.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

Yep. Its easy to forget. I've slightly damaged a bike too. Sure pisses one off. Thankfully, I was moving the bike by hand so the impact was minor. Up until I did that, all I did was make sure the stop switch was off for a reminder.

CABLE and the stop switch on "off" all the time now.

I picked up a cheap "lock alarm" brand disk lock a few weeks ago. I haven't used it yet but it seems to work well in testing. Takes a fair amount to get it to trigger so false alarms should be rare or non existent.

Archived