The MT-07 Forum

Purchase or not to purchase

rucasree

Hey guys!
So I sold my ninja 300 a couple of months ago and I'm looking for a new bike. I been on this website stalking and looking around. Recently I found a fz07 in my area (redding,CA middle of nowhere) with a pretty decent price.
Buttttt, my drivers license has been revoked due to medical reasons, won't be able to drive/ride till May-ish

Anywhoo what do you guys think jump the gun or just wait?

Here is the ad:
http://redding.craigslist.org/mcy/5331422607.html

Thanks guys!

Welcome!

Really up to you for a stock bike...

I live in Northern Nevada and I'd probably sell you mine by the time you get your license back for less than that lol!

It is a clean bike though.

• Global Moderator

It looks like a nice bike, but it seems expensive for a used bike with 2,000 miles. I would pay $5,500 max, but that is just me.

AlbatrossCafe

Definitely don't buy for this price. MSRP is $6990. Yes, there are 'dealer fees' and whatnot but often times for an almost year and a half old model you can get the bike at MSRP + tax if you pay with cash up front. It might be harder with the FZ-07 (since it is such a hot seller) but my dad has bought both of his new dual sports this way.

This guy is trying to tell you "don't be fooled by dealer price" but he is basically selling you a used bike for only $500 less than what you could probably find new (albeit probably not in that color. Red & white 2015 schemes were less popular than the liquid graphite). The dude is trying to recoup his loss but at some point he's just gonna have to suck it up and realize that hes gonna be out $3000 from his new purchase.

That being said, it looks like a clean, gently used bike and if you think you want the windscreen, bag, and USB port I would try to talk him down to $5500. I wouldn't pay more than that for now. You have until May to figure out which is a LOT of time. It is a buyer's market nowadays. I spent over 2 months trying to sell my last bike (2014 Yamaha Raider) for a ridiculously low price on craigslist and didn't even get one hit on it. There will be other FZ's at least a thousand less than this from now until May that will be in similar condition.

EDIT: lol MJH also recommended the $5500 price point while I was typing out my post. Couldn't agree more!

If it were the bike of my dreams and I knew for fact I would be getting my license I would be all over it like a cheap suit. Only 2k miles :D , nice looking and 'begging' to be yours. I would check Kelly's price and if it says it's worth $6,500 I would still come at him a little lower than that. Haggle a little over wear & tear on tires or something, be creative (ha!) but definitely not let it get away from me over a few hundred less. It does look like a nice bike, even if it's not red.  ;)

Beemer

Listen to what pattonme has to say, he's experienced and can sniff out a deal.

[attachment id=1123" thumbnail="1]  P-)

Beemer

I'd say wait regardless. You have half a year until you can legally ride again and if you buy anything now it will just sit and depreciate. Prices will be lower in 6 months for the same bike and you have the chance of seeing something else which you may like more

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

Yeah a little on the high end I paid 7100 OTD for mine so for that price get a new one with the year warranty. I looked at trade in for mine one day 5500 is all I could get.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

The prices mentioned here are bueno. I'll add that mine (2015, blurple, 900 miles, w/ top case rack) was bought for $5600 down from $6000 from a CL seller.

Personally I would wait until I had my license back. Like others have mentioned the bike will just sit around doing nothing for you until you get your license back. The urge to ride without a license may get the best of you. I know it would for me. Can you afford being pulled over while riding with no license, financially, driving record wise, and physically (you mentioned medial reasons)?

Also you may want to think about your financial situation. As in can I afford to go X amount of months without $5500-$6000 in my bank? What if there is an emergency where I need this amount of money?

These are few questions that run through my mind when making a big purchase like this.

There are a lot of fine points made here that didn't come up right away in my mind but remember, prices are not usually written in stone. After more thought on it though, I would wait until I got my license as well as someone else mentioned and you may find something else you like better or simply get a better deal down the road (with warranty) as mentioned. It's hard to say no when you have the "Bike Fever" isn't it.

Beemer

Too much for that amount of mileage. You can find something better and cheaper before you get you licence back. If you get one a couple of months before you get it back , pull the ecu out and get it reflashed. That will take a few weeks and stop you riding for a while. Before the ecu comes back get a rear shock and fork upgrade , that should take the rest and when you can ride again the bike will be ready to fine tune the handling. Check the tyre age as well. By then they will be getting close to their hardening date.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Archived