The MT-07 Forum

SC Project Full exhaust system

Akkati

Hello my fellow riders!
I have an FZ07 2015.
I have recently placed the order for an SC Project exhaust and am expecting it to be delivered in a few days.
Link:- http://www.scproject-shop.com/yamaha_mt_07_2_1_conic_e.htm

I am still new so might not be using the rights terms to explain. [Plz excuse me for this.]

What I would like to know is if I really need to install a fuel injection kit to go with the exhaust?
Coz I dont know if it is a necessary upgrade or whether it can be avoided.

Would appreciate it if someone can guide me on this.

Enjoy speed but ride safe!

Found this thru Google while searching on the subject:-
" Most if not all here haven't got the control unit. The general feeling is that the built in ECU will do it's thing so that the correct mixture is delivered. However, the only way to be sure is a dyno graph with and without the unit, and unfortunately SC have not/will not publish one (despite my constant inquiries before I bought mine).

If it helps I cannot detect any loss of performance after fitting it. In fact I'm very pleased with the exhaust, the bike feels a bit more responsive and sounds ace. It's worth noting the weight difference between the OEM exhaust and the SC Project, it feels leagues apart. I was shocked at how much the OEM unit weighed when I took it off the bike! "

Any suggestions?

AlbatrossCafe
Found this thru Google while searching on the subject:- " Most if not all here haven't got the control unit. The general feeling is that the built in ECU will do it's thing so that the correct mixture is delivered. However, the only way to be sure is a dyno graph with and without the unit, and unfortunately SC have not/will not publish one (despite my constant inquiries before I bought mine).

If it helps I cannot detect any loss of performance after fitting it. In fact I'm very pleased with the exhaust, the bike feels a bit more responsive and sounds ace. It's worth noting the weight difference between the OEM exhaust and the SC Project, it feels leagues apart. I was shocked at how much the OEM unit weighed when I took it off the bike! "

Any suggestions?

The "fuel injection kit" you are referring to is an aftermarket "fuel controller" such as a Power Commander or the EJK kit. These basically hook into your system somewhere between the ECU unit and your fuel injectors. What it does is control the fuel-air mixture to create the optimum ratio for performance. Your new exhausts lets in a LOT more air flow than the stock one, so it will usually attempt to add a little bit more fuel to make the mixture not so lean. This is why you have the oxygen sensor in your exhaust. 
Modern bike's ECU units are usually decent at adjusting for this on their own. Especially on a bike with a smaller engine like the FZ-07, you will be fine with out any fuel controller. Like you said, one of the main benefits of the SC Project over the stock is the weight savings.

Do you notice any exhaust popping when decelerating? Do you stall randomly? Do you plan on removing the baffle for your exhaust to make it louder?

If your answer was "Yes", to any of the above, then it may be worth it for you to get a fuel controller (or another option, an ECU reflash), as it will help alleviate these above problems. Otherwise, if you are happy with how your bike performs now, you will be fine and you will save yourself $400!

Thanks for the advice albatrosscafe! I guess I'll save my money or maybe use it for some other mod! ;)

As pointed out above , the stock ECU will adjust the fuel injected to maintain the air/fuel ratio ( AFR) to keep it where the factory decides will get it through the emissions checks.
The problem is that that ratio is very lean and you get lower power and, believe it or not, lower fuel economy because it is so lean. The ECU reflash or Power commander ( or other fuel controller) readjusts to final mixture to closer to optimum power burn mix and gives more power. The ecu reflash does other things as well.
The biggest boost you get for you bike (unless racing or track work) is the considerable loss of weight an aftermarket system gives. This improves handling and gives a small increase in acceleration.
If you don't need the extra power spend your money on suspension or good tyres ( std tyres are pretty good actually if a little harsh). A good rear shock and fork upgrade will give you a much more satisfying change to you bike. For the price of a a power commander and dyno tune plus a little more, you can get front AND rear suspension upgrade. Much better spent money.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

Finally!
So my mom called and she just recvd the Exhaust system. [Now I cant wait to reach home from work.. and mom said that she has a lot of questions for me when I reach home! I wonder why?! ]

Is there anything on the website like an instructional post showing on how I can fit the exhaust on the bike?
I've tried searching but haven't found anything until now!

Can someone help?

AlbatrossCafe
Finally! So my mom called and she just recvd the Exhaust system. [Now I cant wait to reach home from work.. and mom said that she has a lot of questions for me when I reach home! I wonder why?! ]

Is there anything on the website like an instructional post showing on how I can fit the exhaust on the bike?

Can someone help?
The exhaust I bought had instructions for removing the old exhaust and installing the new one. Does the kit not have any instructions with it? 

Finally! So my mom called and she just recvd the Exhaust system. [Now I cant wait to reach home from work.. and mom said that she has a lot of questions for me when I reach home! I wonder why?! ]

Can someone help?
The exhaust I bought had instructions for removing the old exhaust and installing the new one. Does the kit not have any instructions with it? 

Nope albatross. It did not have an instruction sheet with it. Just a sheet of paper showing the drawing of the exhaust and the sequence of parts showing which screws and springs goes where. I tried to change it myself but didn't have the tools to do it. So went to a local mechanic and got it done.
I must say, it is an amazing exhaust. Am really satisfied with the purchase. Build quality, sound and looks are beyond expectations.
I just feel like riding and riding and riding.. :-)

One problem I did run into was while installing the baffle.
I rode the bike from the garage to my home without the baffle and it was amazing.
When I tried to install the baffle back again, I had a bit of a trouble to align the screw to the hole of the baffle. In my attempt at doing so, the screw went inside the middle of the carbon-fiber casing and the metallic exhaust pipe. [Picture it like a circle within a circle; outer shell made of carbon fibre and inner one of metal]
I magically started thinking like MacGyver and finally after 45 mins of trying, got the screw out and screwed the baffle in place.

Now am wondering if it is such a difficult task, or maybe I will get used to it once I keep doing it over and over again.

• 1 year later...

Ahhh this just happened to me dropping the baffle screw in the exhaust) but I am not about to try to fish that out. I plan to leave the baffle out, and dont hear anything rattling so I guess itll be ok for me.

• Premium Member
Ahhh this just happened to me dropping the baffle screw in the exhaust) but I am not about to try to fish that out. I plan to leave the baffle out, and dont hear anything rattling so I guess itll be ok for me.
Screw is probably ferromagnetic. Use a magnet as a simply way to get it out.

Archived