The MT-07 Forum

Electronic cruise control? Anyone tried?

phyciocc

• Premium Member

When I was riding my Burgman 650, I saw posted a lengthy "how to" for installing a true electronic cruise control. Being technically minded (I usually don't burn myself with a soldering iron :) ), I thought I would try it out. It never happened, but I still have all the bits and pieces necessary. The other day, perusing the Fj-09.org site, I saw someone installing the same electronic cruise control I have on a FJ09. The nice thing about the Fz07 is how the throttle cable attachment is readily accessible. I think this will be my winter project. The Franken- FJ07 :).

Marco

I am a crazy Physics Prof. Beware :o:)

• Premium Member

Hello Stefano:
First and foremost reason: that would be no fun. No lights, no switches, no drilling, folding, spindling or mutilating. No electronics to tinker with.
Second, I already have it :)

Also a throttle lock does not a cruise control make. I want to be able to set a speed, and have that maintained whether going up hill or down hill. A throttle lock will not do that.
Marco

I see what you mean,I didn't even know they made hard wired cruise control for bikes.Well have fun with it.Regarding the Omni cruise does it work as advertised and have ever used cramp buster which one is better?

• Premium Member

Throttle lock do work, in general. They do just that, prevent the throttle from moving from a set point. The one I have is very similar to the picture you showed. The cramp buster, if memory serves, allows you to straighten your fingers and control the throttle with the palm of your hand. The best throttle lock in the market is the Brakeaway cruise control. It locks the throttle but can be released by touching the brakes or the throttle itself.
It is NOT inexpensive, however.
Marco

• Global Moderator

How much did the parts cost? If you do it please concider making a how-to. This is definitely something I might do.

• Premium Member

The part list is far from complete. As of right now, I have the Rostra Universal Cruise Control kit ( part # 250-1223), Link here and the control switch part [HASH]250-3592 link here.
I suspect more hardware will be needed, and lots of patience..
Wish me luck!
Marco

• Premium Member

The control switch needs to be made waterproof. There is thread in the FJ-09.org site that show a possible solution, using silicone.
The throttle actuator(a black box) should reside out of the way, possibly under the passenger seat? That too can be made waterproof by careful application of automotive silicone.
It won't be easy, but I think is worth a shot.
Marco

I would love any kind of throttle lock for when my hands go numb but I've seen the type that releases when you hit the brake and yes, they are expensive but safer than just a throttle lock. A true cruise control as mentioned would be welcome but I'm afraid the price won't be. Right now I just press down on the top center of the throttle with my palm and that holds the throttle in place to hold a speed as I stretch and wiggle my fingers. That helps but it's not 100% effective in preventing or getting rid of the "numb hand". Let us know more when you can, I'm still interested.

Beemer

Beware of hte Cruise control made in Aus.( I can't remember it brand) that claims to be electronic. It is an old style Electro-mechanical device of questionable reliability. Bought one for my BMW F800R. It worked(ish) when it was working but was prone to drift and spent most of it's life erroring and not working. It was safe enough as it just kept turning off the cruise control.
It used the engine vacuum as the old style car ones did , with some sort of smoother and took the speed tach signal from an added magnet/reed switch on the front wheel. Considering there already was a tach signal from the ABS AND the speedo, I thought it was a bit crude. Finally got rid of it after another long ride where it refused to work.
We need a proper full electronic cruise control ( a GPS one could be nice) that actuated the actual butterfly direct ( on the MT/FZ09 you could manipulate the actual electronic butterfly.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

• Premium Member
Beware of hte Cruise control made in Aus.( I can't remember it brand) that claims to be electronic. It is an old style Electro-mechanical device of questionable reliability. Bought one for my BMW F800R. It worked(ish) when it was working but was prone to drift and spent most of it's life erroring and not working. It was safe enough as it just kept turning off the cruise control. It used the engine vacuum as the old style car ones did , with some sort of smoother and took the speed tach signal from an added magnet/reed switch on the front wheel. Considering there already was a tach signal from the ABS AND the speedo, I thought it was a bit crude. Finally got rid of it after another long ride where it refused to work.
We need a proper full electronic cruise control ( a GPS one could be nice) that actuated the actual butterfly direct ( on the MT/FZ09 you could manipulate the actual electronic butterfly.

The one I have is from Rostra and is electro-mechanical. It takes the signal from the tach, or speedo or both and actuates a cable that moves the throttle, thus maintaining the speed. There is no vacuum at all.
Further, it can monitor clutch and brakes as well, disengaging if one of those are activated.
The trick will be to find which wires carry the speed and/or tach signals. The brakes should be easy but if one has the LED signals, more car will be needed.
Also the mounting of the actuator and the actuator cable will be an exercise in tight space maneuvering.
Marco

Thanks I will have a look at it. That's what I wanted in the first place.
Led lights shouldn't be a problem if you use a current sensor or op switching to the brake light rather than direct switch it.
Just had a look . Can I assume that the black lump is some sort of electrical solenoid that is fine controlled by a processor? Do you have a circuit diagram? I have a copy of the workshop manual if you don't want to ferret around to find the wiring but I suspect you are used to that.

It's a good price . I will consider this carefully. At least plenty of room to put it on the Yammy right where the throttle bodies are. Cable could be quite short and actuate almost directly on the left side from under the fake tank covers. Could even put it right beside the ECU on the right and tap the speed signal from there ( actually maybe the clutch and brake signals as well).

• Premium Member

Hello Gregjet:
There is a lot on info out there about the Rostra Cruise control. The item does come with a manual, but you can find it on line.
Got toThis Link for the manuals.

Also useful is this complete installation "how to" for the Burgman 650. It has a lot of very useful informations, including some wiring schematics.
How To for Burgman 650
If you have a service manual in electronic form, I would not mind a copy.
Thanks!
Marco

I would love to send you a copy but my ISP won't let it through as it is 23MB . I can only send <2MB. If I remember I will go find a cheap SD card and tx a copy. I'll get you actual address and send it to you if you want. I can't remember what I paid for it but it wasn't much and I suspect you could get a legal copy in the US for even cheaper if that's where you live.

• Premium Member

Hello Gregjet:
Thank you for the kind offer, but it is not needed. And you are right. I can get a copy for few dollars and a actual printed copy for about $40 so that is what I will do.
Thanks!
Marco

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, pegasus46 said:

When you figure out what wires to tap into I would certainly order one. Hope you are successful.

This thread was over two years old. The expense of electronic cruise control is too high, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Cruizin said:

This thread was over two years old. The expense of electronic cruise control is too high, unfortunately. 

I ordered one from you just several months before you started this site for my FZ-09. I installed it myself and it worked great. I can get the same components for $221.00 and would willing pay that if I just new what wires to tap into. They are probably the same color on the FZ-07 but I want to be sure before I start cutting and soldering.

• Premium Member

the FZ-07 does not have the electronic throttle servo motor thats found in the FZ/FJ-09s... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

44 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

the FZ-07 does not have the electronic throttle servo motor thats found in the FZ/FJ-09s... 

It does not matter as long as I can find the proper wire that contains the speed signal.

The servo motor on the cruise control just attaches to the throttle (luckily it is even exposed to be able to make the attachment on the fz-07)

I'm also curious about the speed signal-wire. Not sure if there is a wire?
To the cockpit the speed is transmitted via CAN-Bus but I don't know where the actual speed sensor is.
Must be inside the engine I guess?

10 hours ago, Cruizin said:

BUt tech has changed, I went in for a implant to have my write rist set up with blu toof too my brain.  The problem now is my right lobe is out of sync with the left and so my left rist tries to twist the cluth and my right is trying to scratch me butt.  Damn chinese knock offs

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Archived