The MT-07 Forum

Down shifting

madcore84

Ok guys got a problem. Today two red lights in a row I try to down shift only to see my gear indicator go completely blank and didn't feel it down shift. Both times I had to tinker with it to get it back and downshift. She only has a total of 259 miles on her. Stopped by my shop and they said all was good but these are the guys who installed a tire WITH an arrow showing the direction wrong. Don't want to drive my bike to the farther shop I trust more if I can't trust that I can down shift before the light turns green. Has anyone else had this problem?

you really should be doing your downshifting as you are slowing to a stop, not after the bike is to a dead stop. That works fine in a car, but not with a sequential gearbox like on any bike. And this is especially true with a new gearbox.

I normal down shift while still moving. I was told to be in first right before I stop incase it turns green I can go and be in the correct gear

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

My bike has close to 10K on it and I've started noticing the gear indicator going blank more frequently, especially when coasting or downshifting. Sometimes stopped at a light I look at it and it's blank too. I'm wondering if it needs a trip to the shop to have them check out the switch inside the transmission. Usually I can get it to display again by rolling it a little and shifting.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member
I normal down shift while still moving. I was told to be in first right before I stop incase it turns green I can go and be in the correct gear
It is indeed good to be in first in case of an idiot headed your way but, you can definitely take off in 2nd with no problem on the FZ.  Like others have said, keep the motion and shift and you'll be aight.  I honestly think my bike shifted a lot more rough and clunky the first couple thousand miles. She shifts up/down a lot smoother these days (at 3500k miles).  

• Premium Member

If it's blank, it means it hasn't been placed gear properly. Once you get it into gear, it'll show up again.

It's happened to me once. I let off the clutch, hoping I was in neutral, and then it died. Cus I was still in gear.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Are you letting the clutch out for each gear you downshift, or downshifting through all the gears with the clutch pulled in the whole time.  That's all I got, can't say I look at the indicator often, so I wouldn't know if mine were doing that, gotta keep an eye out.

I was down shifting with the clutch pulled in. Since I didn't hear it feel it down shift I assumed it didn't change gears

It's a false neutral and sometimes you may have to slightly let out the clutch (just a few mm) and you'll hear/feel it clunk and you can continue your downshift.

p.s. make sure you have nice firm foot pressure when shifting

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

It is indeed good to be in first in case of an idiot headed your way but, you can definitely take off in 2nd with no problem on the FZ.  Like others have said, keep the motion and shift and you'll be aight.  I honestly think my bike shifted a lot more rough and clunky the first couple thousand miles. She shifts up/down a lot smoother these days (at 3500k miles).

That's a lot of miles, lol

• Global Moderator

Ive had similar issues with mine since about the 2k mark.
Its just started acting up again last week. My shifter assy, trans range sensor and something else... (cant remember til i get home and check the RO) have been replaced still acts up occasionally.

1st is definitely the gear you wish to be in when coming to a stop
I usually start to downshift to 2nd if i have the room about 150yds or so before the intersection.
then just before stopping, feather the clutch a bit while shifting to first

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
That's a lot of miles, lol
Haha I guess your are correct. 3,500 miles ;-) 

• Premium Member
It's a false neutral and sometimes you may have to slightly let out the clutch (just a few mm) and you'll hear/feel it clunk and you can continue your downshift. 
p.s. make sure you have nice firm foot pressure when shifting
I've had the problem a couple times and this's what's worked for me.  Just let the clutch out a little, until you feel something then pull it in and step on the shifter, and it's in gear. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Might want to check to make sure the pinch clamp that turns the shift shaft is not loose. If that's happened, shifting will always be a bit rough.

And all those shift linkage pivot points, the 2 Heim joints as well as the lever's pivot, do need to be cleaned and greased on occasion.

Shouldn't have to do service like this as new, but factories can get a bit stingy with grease. I just had my front axle out for the 1st time - it had been greased - but it was microscopic.

I hear what you're saying madcore84, my bike did some wonky crap with the gears when mine was new, too. On at least two occasions, if not three, (while moving) it would suddenly and without cause, jump out of a gear into a lower gear and back into the gear it came out of. I swear I never touched a thing. It startled me but I kept my composure and attributed it to 'break in' with a 'computerized bike' and kept an eye on it. It hasn't done it since the break in period. Also, I noticed if I downshifted too fast (while moving) the screen would go blank and be stuck in that gear. Manipulating the shift lever did nothing. It gave no feed back, no pressure, just nothing and the only way to correct it or 'reset it' as though I was riding a damned slow-ass dial-up computer was to leave it alone for a few seconds and it would finally catch up and right itself. It acted as if the computer couldn't think fast enough to match my quick down shifting. The fix: I stopped downshifting fast. I space my shifts out a little so the stupid thing doesn't get left behind. I started to think if I spent $600 on a top of the line video card it might help but nah! Try down shifting slower with at least a "One-thousand One" in between each shift, it worked for me. Good luck and let us know if that helped.

Beemer

Thanks for the heads up glade I'm it the ok y one who has noticed this
Geez! Now your keyboard is acting up! You're just unlucky!  ;)

Beemer

Archived