The MT-07 Forum

Blooded My BIke.

databyter

• Premium Member

Today I dropped the Fizzle on a steep driveway. I was about to head out and the transition between the steep of the driveway and the steep of the road made kind of a long reach. Longer than I expected apparently when I put my foot down at a very low speed (I was stopping and slightly turning after coasting down the steep driveway, to check for traffic).

I basically put my foot down and nothing was there and I wasn't prepared for that.

The good news is I went down really slow, fighting it all the way, and my right leg and foot acted as frame sliders. The hardest part was getting my leg out from under the bike since I didn't have a heck of a lot of leverage to lift the bike off me.

Nevertheless I did it fairly quickly (look around, no, nobody saw me doing my falling act) and then immediately lifted the bike which had autostopped.

Damage? Very light.

Scratched outer bar end (looks like it might be an easily replaceable part?). I put some black sharpie on it and you can't see the scratch unless you are studiously looking for it.

Then my outer ball on the brake lever had a scraped edge, but I've already bought new aftermarket levers, just waiting for the brake to arrive, clutch already here.

Then I think one of my weebles wobble but they don't fall down lights had a very very light scratch which seemed to disappear when I rubbed it.

The engine cover was protected by my crushed leg :)

The muffler is the only thing that I really can't think of how to restore, it has some relatively light but noticable scratching at the rear, wider end. I can't paint it, and the end cap looks riveted so I doubt I can just replace that part. I can't polish it out because the anodizing would still contrast.. And I had no intention of going aftermarket in deference to my early morning commuting and my neighbors, not to mention I just have to be different and NOT be a fan of loud bikes, at least for me.

Can anybody think of a solution to cosmetically cover or repair that? I suppose I could buy another muffler from somebody that upgraded and has the stock laying around, but it isn't THAT big of a scratch that I am willing to pay for yet, besides, I might drop it again, I am learning what NOT to do the hard way.

I was paying more attention to other things than I was to going down that driveway. It never occurred to me I was at the slightest risk. I've been taking great pride on the fact that I haven't dropped it, although everybody has said I will eventually lol.

Guess I got cocky, and fate offered me a quick fix for my arrogance.

Now it's broken in tho, it's mine :)

I celebrated by adjusting the free play on my rear brake which was really low for me and kinda squishy, and also made my clutch a bit closer to the grip even though I'm gonna replace it in the next few days with another lever. I like the way it rides now.

I posted much of this in the "what did you do" to your Fizzle thread, hope that doesn't break site dupe post rules.

But this IS what I did to my FZ-07 today. I blooded the bitch. Now she's mine!

DISCLAIMER: I just realized my last comment could be taken the wrong way. I have the highest respect for the females of our species, the "blooded" reference is not a reference to women.

Databyter

Read more: http://fz07.org/thread/127/yamaha-fz-07-today?page=195#ixzz3f51quEme

Databyter

• Premium Member
phicurious86

DISCLAIMER: I just realized my last comment could be taken the wrong way. I have the highest respect for the females of our species, the "blooded" reference is not a reference to women.

Databyter

Too late. We all know you're a misogynist now. Not sure about fixing the cosmetics on the muffler. If it's just the tip you might try sanding the scratches out and then painting the entire tip a color that compliments your bike color scheme.

• Premium Member

Databyter

Too late. We all know you're a misogynist now.

Not sure about fixing the cosmetics on the muffler. If it's just the tip you might try sanding the scratches out and then painting the entire tip a color that compliments your bike color scheme.
Another member msg'd me a link to the parts blowup diagram, and apparently the outer shell of the muffler that got scratched can be removed seperately (If I can get to the bolts without taking the whole damn thing apart), so painting is definitely an option.  
I wasn't really sure you COULD paint something that gets that hot, but apparently you can. The stock appears to be some kind of coating or plating (anodizing?), which I could also redo or customize. The replacement part for that part alone is only 160 bucks base price, so that would be plan B.

It looks like I can repair this with a little elbow grease and either some creativity, or cash.

Databyter

Databyter

Archived