The MT-07 Forum

Need help with Aka Ti baffle removal

wooosaaaw

Hey Everyone,

So i found this video: 

and decided to give it a try today. I used a 3/4" square wooden rod about 24" long and a rubber mallet. I used WD40 to lube the seal and saw it seep through to the other side. 
I found that the wooden rod mostly sat in the crease between the baffle and the exhaust and after about an hour of trying to hammer it out i just about gave up. I noticed that you can try to get the wooden rod above or below the baffle tube but i had no success either way. I was only able to get it to move about 1mm.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong here.

I got mine out using this method. I didn't use a piece of wood though. I used a really weird metal tube thing with a flat head. It looked like a giant nail. If I remember, I'll post a picture of what I used. I just had my friend hold it while I shoved the "nail" into the end of the exhaust and pounded it with a rubber mallet. It came out in about 15 seconds of pounding using this method.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Remove the screw holding it in haha. I ran the bike up to full temp got exhaust nice and hot and used co2 to freeze the db killer, got a pair of vice grips and a hammer and it slid out. It's definitely a interference fit. Heat expands the exhaust side while cold shrinks the db killer. I did some baffle modification to see if I could get a good in-between sound. (Quick answer is no not without machining and new one.) I froze the baffle overnight and got the bike warm. It slid right together after doing this. I could even twist it for about 15 seconds until the baffle expanded to "fit" the exhaust.

I finally got it! A pair of Channel Lock Pliers and a hammer is what it took. I had to clamp onto the baffle and hammer the pliers outward. It mangled the tip of the baffle but i plan on cutting them down as well as cutting the inside so i can put it back in.

HOLY SHIT ITS LOUD!

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I intended to do the same thing but we'll its hard to go back to the baffle after hearing the glorious thunder that is the exhaust without the baffle.

I intended to do the same thing but we'll its hard to go back to the baffle after hearing the glorious thunder that is the exhaust without the baffle.
I ended up cutting off the internal pipes complete off and shortened the external ones (only because i mangled them) and it is still pretty loud but not ear damaging loud. A good balance. 
On a side note, i noticed Akrapovic is making a new sound insert pictured [/url]here

For the CBR650 you can buy a 4 baffle design similar to ours or the one from the link above which is a single large baffle. I imagine the single large baffle is much louder. Hopefully they will sell this to fit the fz-07

Archived