The MT-07 Forum

Stolen bike

she3pdog

Well, my precious FZ-07 was stolen from my place yesterday. I'm pretty bent out of shape about it, but I'm trying to remain positive. I had full coverage on it, so it was covered for theft and whatnot. I thought about just going and buying another one, but I think I may move to a different bike. I'll be test riding a lot of stuff in the coming weeks to see what I may want, but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions? I liked the bike a lot, but sometimes felt it was small. Any improvement in comfort would be great too. I'd like to keep comparable torque though because that is what really made the bike fun to ride.

dizzid1320

Oh man, I'm really sorry to hear it was stolen. That's heartbreaking.

As far as finding a replacement, what kind of budget are you working with? There are lots of options for more torque and comfort, but not really at a comparable cost.

Well, I'm getting a check for the kbb value+accessories for the theft, so something that is around the same price as the FZ-07, but I'm definitely dipping into the used market as well this time around.

1290 superduke

Man, that bike has been on my mind for a while now. I'm definitely going to try to find a place that will let me test ride one. I'm not sure if I'm willing to fork over that kind of money, but I'll find out.

thomascrown

You can get a new 2014 for 15k. A lot of money, but also lots of bike. It is an fz07 on steroids.

That seriously sucks ???.. where was it taken from?  Was it secured in any way?  

Well, my precious FZ-07 was stolen from my place yesterday.

rotaryryan24
Well, my precious FZ-07 was stolen from my place yesterday. I'm pretty bent out of shape about it, but I'm trying to remain positive. I had full coverage on it, so it was covered for theft and whatnot. I thought about just going and buying another one, but I think I may move to a different bike. I'll be test riding a lot of stuff in the coming weeks to see what I may want, but in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions? I liked the bike a lot, but sometimes felt it was small. Any improvement in comfort would be great too. I'd like to keep comparable torque though because that is what really made the bike fun to ride.

dude that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for you bike.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

That sucks, man. For your sake, I hope they never find it. Nothing like riding around on a bike that you know was molested by some clown with no conscience. Last I checked, a brand new one is insured at $6400, at least that's what State Farm told me when I bought mine out the door for $7700. So if that happened to me, I'd be out a fair bit of money, even with full theft coverage.

How about a Monster 1100? Or a Moto Guzzi?

Hrmph...

Thieves, when caught, should have their hands cut off after trial as punishment.

What is your budget like? That opens up alot of options.

If you're looking for comfort im going to assume you probably want to stick with something that is relatively upright instead of a sport bike? Give us some feedback so that we can vicariously shop with you! :)

truthiness

My condolences for your loss.

Have you considered the Kawi Z1000?

Or...bigger...more torque...more comfort... Suzuki V-Strom 1000?

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm definitely wanting to stick with the upright naked bikes. I just like the way they look and feel. All the talk about the super Duke yesterday got me looking at the older 990s, and I can snag one of those for roundabouts 5k in my area. Seems pretty appealing, but I've never rode one, so I may hate it.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Sorry She3p,

Hope it's a quick turn around on the claim so you can start riding again soon.

Ya, me too. Has anyone else had to deal with insurance with a theft like this? I don't know what to expect as far as how long their investigation will take and whatnot. I have Progressive.

thomascrown

You're gonna have to take some measures after you get another bike. These assholes will likely come again.

Sorry about your bike. The FJ 09 is pretty sweet but a little more expensive than the FZ 07. Can't say how comfortable it is. Should be some reviews on that somewhere. I'll look around.

Beemer

Well, I got on a superduke 990 today, and while it is a gorgeous, roomy bike, I don't think it is for me. While the extra inch or so of height doesn't bother me, the width of the seat makes it feel uncomfortably tall. I know that may not be the hardest thing to fix or get used to, but it's still a point against it for me. I also wasn't the biggest fan of the foot controls. The FZ-07 that I customized to my liking has set a high mark for me, maybe.

• Premium Member
Mine feels kinda smallish too even though I am not that big at 5'8". I feel the best balance and handling is when I am up front hugging the tank, but then the bars are too close and I gotta move my feet off the controls and just on the pegs to really get the balance I like. 
But my solution will likely be after market bars, and maybe a "rear set", in quotes because I didn't even know what that meant a month ago and now I am considering them.

I find the bike comfortable, but want to stretch out a tiny bit more and put more weight forward.

Any bike may feel a little small or big just because you haven't customized it, so don't dismiss it just because it isn't a perfect fit if you love everything else about it, you can change a lot!

That being said, you may indeed find something that fits you better if you look around.

I REALLY liked the FJ-09 although I didn't really care for the FZ-09 (I might like it better now that I have actually rode for a while and know what to look for). It sits higher, is more sport touring, comes with a bigger tank, a windscreen, grip guards etc.. Kinda nice and I was thinking hmm.. bike [HASH]2?

Databyter

Databyter

Maybe get a cheap bikes to kick around on until you see if the FJ-07 is going to be a thing?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I'm so sorry to hear your bike got stolen! That totally sux!

Our friend had his Hypermotard stolen three weeks ago and practically right out from under him.

The police did recover it a few days later but I don't know any details about the insurance.

Hope you find a bike that you like soon.

Illegitimi non carborundum

recurveshooter

This is the second one of these I've read. (I remember a woman posting about her husband's bike being stolen from in front of his office window while it was locked and had an alarm!)

What I'd like to see is more info concerning what happened. Where do you live? City, suburban, or rural? Was it locked? With what? To what? Was there an alarm? Was it covered? Some of this information could be helpful in the decisions we make concerning keeping our bikes safe.

I hope we don't see too many more of these posted here, but sharing information about what happened could be helpful. Thanks - recurveshooter

p.s. - My bike has a rotor lock on the rear wheel, a u-lock through the front wheel, the fork locked to the left, and a cable AND an On-Guard "The Beast" chain securing it to a lamp post..... and I'm still worried. (It takes me 10 minutes to lock it or unlock it - HA!)

• Global Moderator

Keep in mind that of you choose a Ducati, Husky, Guzzi or anything else European, you might be disappointed with the maintenance schedule and costs involved.

• Premium Member
speedingtickets

I am moving to Honda and getting a CBR1000RR with Combined-ABS, it does 0-60 in 2.5 from the factory, FZ-07 is 3.4. My FZ-07 is modified for very high speed so I know I am ready for a 1000 but if your not check out the CBR600RR, it does 0-60 in 2.8. A lot of these numbers change slightly year to year but you get the idea. (C-ABS) If you slam on the front brakes or rear brakes only, both wheels slow to a stop equally. In a panic situation this feature can save your life, cutting braking distance almost in half. I am also a fan of steering dampers and these bikes come standard with an electronic one, no twin engine vibration either. My radar detector went off today and I jammed on the front brakes of my FZ-07 like a dummy and almost went flying, it was not even a cop, never mind a what could have happened in a real situation if someone stopped or pulled out in front of me. They are worth a look. Cyclecruza on youtube swears by these bikes and I think he had an FZ-07 or 09. 

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
I am moving to Honda and getting a CBR1000RR with Combined-ABS, it does 0-60 in 2.5 from the factory, FZ-07 is 3.4. My FZ-07 is modified for very high speed so I know I am ready for a 1000 but if your not check out the CBR600RR, it does 0-60 in 2.8. A lot of these numbers change slightly year to year but you get the idea. (C-ABS) If you slam on the front brakes or rear brakes only, both wheels slow to a stop equally. In a panic situation this feature can save your life, cutting braking distance almost in half. I am also a fan of steering dampers and these bikes come standard with an electronic one, no twin engine vibration either. My radar detector went off today and I jammed on the front brakes of my FZ-07 like a dummy and almost went flying, it was not even a cop, never mind a what could have happened in a real situation if someone stopped or pulled out in front of me. They are worth a look. Cyclecruza on youtube swears by these bikes and I think he had an FZ-07 or 09. 

Yikes. Have fun with that insurance bill. I hope it's worth it.

Archived