Sign in to follow this  
mrcribbs

Wheel Cleaner?

mrcribbs
What's a good and safe wheel cleaner for removing chain lube? I don't want to mess my blue wheels up... 

renegade
I use Motul chain cleaner and a grunge brush. Cleaner runs about $8 and brush is about $13.

dizzid1320
I use Chemical Guys Citrus Gel Wheel Cleaner, and cut it 1/3 with water. Obviously, cut it less if you need more degreasing power. You could use chain cleaner (or any other solvent) but it could possibly damage your finish. Plus, it's way more expensive than a gallon of the CG stuff if you consider how long a gallon lasts when you cut it at even 1/2.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Sticky_Gel_Citrus_Wheel_Rim_Cleaner_Gel_1_Gal_p/cld_105c.htm
  • Like 1

hobbs
Purple Power works good for me. No signs of damage, or on any of the cars I've used it on for years. Gets the tire cleaned up too.

mrcribbs
Purple Power works good for me. No signs of damage, or on any of the cars I've used it on for years. Gets the tire cleaned up too.
Diluted? I also use purple power on some things but it's very strong and I was worried about ruining the wheel finish. 

bmwpowere36m3
WD-40, simple green or any degreaser diluted, soap (dawn) and water.
  • Like 2

Guest Ralph
Bathroom Mousse but try in a out of the way area first.

thomascrown
Goo gone diluted a good bit by soapy water.

yamahappy74
I use McGuires car wash and a rag. Works great

cassecou
WD-40 does wonders.
  • Like 1

scordiaboy515
WD-40, simple green or any degreaser diluted, soap (dawn) and water.
   Yep.....WD-40 on a paper towel will do the job.  Simple Green is great for dissolving brake dust and road grime on the wheels and engine.   

Allan
I literally just go to Dollar General and buy the tire and wheel cleaner and bought a brush from Pep Boys and it works amazingly on my Blue Wheels.

kakusaizou
I actually did extensive research on this topic and eventually just said screw it and took whatever we had sitting in the garage. I used a bottle of Eagle One aluminium wheel cleaner. Since it is ph neutral I went ahead and used it. Worked great, it dissolved all of the grimey-waxy lube flung with a bit of agitation and simply washed away.