The MT-07 Forum

Gixxer front brake upgrade

scordiaboy515

scordiaboy515

Mounted up a 2008 Suzuki GSXR600 radial master cylinder, Spiegler brake lines, EBC pads, Motul RBF 600 brake fluid.....cH6na0H.jpg81AHFlB.jpgNo62rqZ.jpgQpjoWHm.jpg

• Like 6

scordiaboy515
I was thinking about something like this, does it improve the braking significantly?
   most definitely,  most true sport bikes use a radial style master cyl. with a bore size between 17.5mm - 19mm or so....give or take depending on what brand it is. 

scordiaboy515
What is the different between 17-19?
It's the diameter of the piston inside the master...the bigger the piston the more powerful but less feel....and vice versa 
  • Like 1

Guest Ralph
It's the diameter of the piston inside the master...the bigger the piston the more powerful but less feel....and vice versa
Are you sure about that?

scordiaboy515
Are you sure about that?
    (((((((((((((((:-S)))))))))))))))))) 

howlinhoss
Tommy Boy Voice "you are correct".

• 3 weeks later...
scordiaboy515
I thought the brakes were based off the r1?
  Nope, it's not a radial master like the R6/R1....just a generic off the shelf item 

A you've lost your mirror mount. What are your plans now? Bar ends?

Also, are you going to swap out the clutch perch for one without a mirror mount?

I know yours is a track bike, but does the GSX-R assembly have a brake light switch? Or would you need an in-line pressure switch?

I did this to my 2007 SV650K7 back then.
I did it mainly (or, the most apparent advantage that came to my attention after doing it) because of the better shape and feel of the front brake lever.The lever is flatter and longer for more leverage, and the feel when using the brake was very good, indeed.If it actually makes the brake stronger, that's an added bonus.

At least the stock front brakes of the FZ-07, with a change to EBC HH pads, in my opinion, are excellent to begin with.
The SV?
Not so excellent, stock.

• 6 months later...
scordiaboy515
I know yours is a track bike, but does the GSX-R assembly have a brake light switch? Or would you need an in-line pressure switch?
    Brake light switch is intact and the FZ07 connectors hook right up to it....no worries 

scordiaboy515
Also, are you going to swap out the clutch perch for one without a mirror mount?
  Nope, one mirror does the job for me.....one less item I have to remove when taking it to the track 8-)  

I need to get around to installing the R6 brake master I have sitting around. I also have the brake discs and calipers, but I am not entirely sure if they will fit or be worth it. Seems that the rotors are only marginaly smaller on the FZ, and the R6 calipers from 2000 look the same as the FZ ones, but the R6 are blue instead of silver. Anyone want to measure the piston size of the FZ, mine is in storage.

scordiaboy515
I need to get around to installing the R6 brake master I have sitting around. I also have the brake discs and calipers, but I am not entirely sure if they will fit or be worth it. Seems that the rotors are only marginaly smaller on the FZ, and the R6 calipers from 2000 look the same as the FZ ones, but the R6 are blue instead of silver. Anyone want to measure the piston size of the FZ, mine is in storage.
  Depending on the year R6, the calipers might be the mono block style which means they will not swap.  The R6 radial master is made by Brembo, nice piece...much improvement over stock FZ.  Weather street or track riding, the little FZ tops out around 125 mph....so the oem rotors and calipers work just fine.  VIR N is very fast and has some very hard braking zones, never had any brake fade issues.   

Probably not. I have that parts R6 sitting around, and hadn't gotten past the whole I want to put the R6 stuff on the FZ. So odds are they do not fit. I will let you know about the calipers though.

I'm guessing that most of the improvement you feel is from the braided brake lines. I'm sure this master cylinder is pushing a higher rate as well, and as long as that isn't too much, then you are fine. Get the rate wrong and you can end up with some really touching brakes that are hard to moderate.

ben

scordiaboy515
I'm guessing that most of the improvement you feel is from the braided brake lines. I'm sure this master cylinder is pushing a higher rate as well, and as long as that isn't too much, then you are fine. Get the rate wrong and you can end up with some really touching brakes that are hard to moderate. 
ben
.....not at all, I've done 2 track days with this set up and I'm very happy with the results 

Nope, one mirror does the job for me.....one less item I have to remove when taking it to the track 8-)
I'm with you on that. I don't track. I daily every. single. day. And have only had one right side bar end for about a year now.

• 3 months later...

Today, I installed this type of master cylinder on my FZ-07, too.
It is a brand-new item from a 2011 Suzuki GSX-R600L1, is made for Suzuki by Nissin, and looks very much like the unit shown in
scordiaboy515's first post in this thread.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I've done this modification before on my SV-650K7, so I knew what to expect and I
knew exactly why I wanted to do it:
1) To have better braking performance due to the much longer front brake lever with more leverage on the master cylinder piston.
2) The shape of the brake lever feels much better while on the brakes.

Installation was so easy, you'd think this master cylinder came designed for this bike.
Even the Suzuki front brake switch plugged into the FZ-07 wiring perfectly.
The only down side is that I lost the right-hand side mirror mount.

Out on the road, the brake works very well, is easy to control, and feels very good to my fingers.
Very much worth it to me.

• Like 1