The MT-07 Forum

Matris Rear Shock Installed

rowdy

• Premium Member

Yesterday I received the Matris shock I ordered a while back (from PJ's Parts, they have been great to work with).
I got it installed today. 
Here's a picture of the shock:
[attachment id=627" thumbnail="1]

The install was really easy once I decided how to get the bike supported and the swing arm free.
I used my PitBull jacks front and rear, and then put a pair of jack stands under the low frame mount points just in front of the pegs.
I put some old bicycle tire pieces on top of the jack stands to make sure nothing got scratched.  This allowed me to keep the rear stand engaged to the spools so I could add a little pressure to get the rear bolt lined up and easy to insert.
Here's a couple pictures of that setup:
[attachment id=629" thumbnail="1]
[attachment id=628" thumbnail="1]
and here is the shock installed:
[attachment id=630" thumbnail="1]

How does it ride???
Disclaimer:  I don't race, I've never done a track day, and I'm no suspension expert.  I've ridden a lot of bikes and I ride pretty aggressively on my mountain excursions around here.  The shock was specified for my weight and type of riding. 
The first thing I noticed was how smooth the bike seemed to ride.  It was like the bumps had mostly disappeared.   I took a nice curvy stretch of road that I knew had some rough spots and ripply asphalt, and was surprised how much better it felt and how much more confidence inspiring it was in the the turns. The old shock, in comparison either felt bouncy at one setting or too stiff and unresponsive at another.
So I give it a thumbs up.

Why can't left turners see us?

dizzid1320

Nice, thanks for pointing out a good spot for the jack stands. What did you end up going with for the front forks, or is that stock?

• Premium Member
Nice, thanks for pointing out a good spot for the jack stands. What did you end up going with for the front forks, or is that stock?
I replaced the front springs and oil with SonicSprings and PJ's 10W oil.  It feels like the front and rear are much more in sync with each other now. 

• Premium Member
I really like that shock and have talked to pjs about it. is that the 600$ one or more
It's the $600.  I figured I really didn't need the remote adjustment, and just couldn't bring myself to buy something more exotic for my riding needs. 

• Premium Member

Damn Rowdy. THose pics look good. I just tried to review a manual and used photobucket and they look like crap.

Somebodies gonna have to walk me thru this posting pics on forums thing onna these days.

Grats on the great ride. I am still listening and learning but am eager to do what you did, not a race/track worthy 3 way remote adjustable, but just something much better that is suited to my weight and usage in fronts and back.

Databyter

• Premium Member
I replaced the front springs and oil with SonicSprings and PJ's 10W oil.  It feels like the front and rear are much more in sync with each other now.
I guess I should mention that I ordered the Sonic Springs based on my weight and riding style, and after install are spot on for sag @ 32mm. 

rowdy, Does the front end seem to smooth out the bumps as well as the back end does now. I'm looking more for ride quality than track day cornering ability. I noticed that the rear shock from Nitron has a small ability to adjust the overall length of the shock for small ride height adjustments up or down. Is the Matris the same way? Thanks so much for the pictures and your feedback to us. You have been very helpful.

modmaster

• Premium Member
rowdy, Does the front end seem to smooth out the bumps as well as the back end does now. I'm looking more for ride quality than track day cornering ability. I noticed that the rear shock from Nitron has a small ability to adjust the overall length of the shock for small ride height adjustments up or down. Is the Matris the same way? Thanks so much for the pictures and your feedback to us. You have been very helpful. 
modmaster

The springs/oil change in the front definitely smoothed out the front.  The Matris does have a length adjustment on it, bit I don't know what the range of adjustment is, and since it was "custom built" to my specs, I haven't played with any of the settings.  It feels perfect now, so I really don't feel the need to play with things (yet). :) 
[edit]  I looked at the spec sheet that shipped with my shock and it lists the length as Min: 309, Max: 318:  Supplied: 310

I have the same shock, bought from the same place you did. Very impressed with the shock and its build quality, as well.

Preload, rebuond, and ride height adjustabilities for $600! Money well spent!

• 1 year later...

Hey! Hoping to find some answers about this shock and thought I would try this thread before starting a new one.

I just installed this same shock (incidentally also ordered through PJ's) and found that a) one side of the mounting fork was threaded and that b) with both spacers (the ones included with the shock) installed, there doesn't seem to be quite enough room for the stock nut to thread on to the stock bolt anymore.

I assumed that since the shock itself was threaded, the nut was somewhat redundant anyway, so I just threw some blue locktite on the end and torqued the nut on as far as I would go and called it a day. I'm wondering if you had a similar experience or if you did something different and didn't have that problem to begin with. I rode home on it and everything felt great, so I don't think there's much of a problem, but that I can't shake the feeling that I might be missing something.

Also, I am running under the assumption that the shock was preloaded according to the weight I provided when I ordered, and it feels good so far. I was glad to hear that was the case for you as well. Have you found the need to adjust it at all since? I'm a complete novice when it comes to suspension upgrades and adjustments. I'd greatly appreciate any insight you can provide.

Don't know about this shock, but I used all OE hardware when mounting an Ohlins to mine. Even if one side of the clevis in the shock is threaded, you should have enough bolt length to fill the nut - just to make sure. Think I would have put the lactate on the bolt where it threaded into the shock.

The spring installed was set to your weight. The preload was likely set to some base setting. You really should check sag as it might need some fine tuning. What's pretty good now might still be improved upon.

• Premium Member

@keeninja I don't recall having an extra washer but I do recall putting the nut on the end and just torquing it down snug.
Also, I agree with what @rick said. Mine was adjusted fine from the factory and I haven't touched it since.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
If you want the unit for ~$520 (still comes from PJ's) just order it from me.
That's a good deal! 

Archived