The MT-07 Forum

New from FL

RapidFZ

I just picked up my first motorcycle last week.  I am 35 years old and I have always wanted to buy a motorcycle but it seemed like life was always getting in the way and I kept on putting it off.  I signed up for the MSF class which I will be attending at the end of July as that was when it would fit in my schedule.  I had no intention of purchasing a bike until after I passed the MSF class and got my licence.

I went to a couple of dealerships with no clue as to what style of bike I wanted.  I just wanted to sit on some bikes to get an idea of what I wanted.  All of my closest friends have motorcycles ranging from Harleys to liter bikes.  When I went to the yamaha/suzuki dealership I loved the look and feel of the suzuki gsx-s 750.  The salesman said that he would recommend the FZ-09 instead but they didn't have any in stock but he could order one for me.  I told him that I didn't have a licence yet and he said that it doesn't matter.  I went home to do some research on the suzuki and soon realized that in my opinion the FZ-09 was a better value.  

I called the salesman the next day to buy the FZ-09 he asked what color I wanted and told me he would get back to me to let me know how long it would take to get the bike in.  In the hour that he took to call me back I realized that it probably was a bad idea to get the 09 as my first bike as I am still a beginner.  I went back into the dealership on my lunch break and ended up with my brand new Rapid Red FZ-07 which I have read was the fastest color. :D  The dealer delivered it to my house when I got home from work.

I am still not sure if this is going to be a great bike for me in the long run as I am a pretty big guy at 6'3" 240lbs but I feel as if I fit on it ok.

I have already purchased all of my gear and thanks to this site I have created quite the list of modifications that I want to purchase.  I just ordered the yoshimura ss exhaust and I will be ordering all of my other goodies by the time that I will legally be able to ride this thing.

Sorry about the long winded post but I am pretty excited to finally be able to ride a motorcycle.

brUsOkZ.jpg

Welcome to the site bud!

Where about in Florida are you located?

As far as this being the "perfect" bike for you, meh, you will enjoy it and when you dont, you will move on IF you want to. The bike will get you where you want to go, period, end of story.

Welcome to the site bud! 
Where about in Florida are you located?

As far as this being the "perfect" bike for you, meh, you will enjoy it and when you dont, you will move on IF you want to. The bike will get you where you want to go, period, end of story.
I am on the Space Coast,  Brevard County.

• Premium Member

Congrats on the purchase! The first 1000 miles are the best - have fun!

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I would say that so long as you're enjoying yourself, that's all that matters. This bike may feel small, but it's got it where it counts. Watch the torque in first and second; careful with the clutch. That front wheel really wants to come up under hard acceleration. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more fun bike to start on. Enjoy!

Welcome and congrats on your 1st bike! What city are you from? I don't see you on the member map.

Beemer

I would say that so long as you're enjoying yourself, that's all that matters. This bike may feel small, but it's got it where it counts. Watch the torque in first and second; careful with the clutch. That front wheel really wants to come up under hard acceleration. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more fun bike to start on. Enjoy!
I hope that I didn't come off as if I don't like the bike.  I think that the bike is excellent.  It is plenty fast for me and it looks and sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust.  I just hope that I don't look to big and goofy on the thing, that's all.

Welcome and congrats on your 1st bike! What city are you from? I don't see you on the member map. 
Thanks.  I live in Port St John.

• Premium Member
yamahappy74
I hope that I didn't come off as if I don't like the bike.  I think that the bike is excellent.  It is plenty fast for me and it looks and sounds great with an aftermarket exhaust.  I just hope that I don't look to big and goofy on the thing, that's all.
Not at all, man. I just know that a sub 400lb bike feels kinda small, even to me at 150lbs. At 240lbs, I imagine it feels much smaller, but this thing really has a pair on it, lol. It doesn't go terribly fast on the top, but it gets there in a hurry, and that's where most of the fun is; getting there. 

• Global Moderator

Congrats @rapidfz. Great first bike. I remember I was super excited when I bought my first motorcycle long ago. I used to go to the barn at night just to take a look at it and touch it or to sit on it. Like @rmdet says, those first miles are very special and will have a fundamental influence on the rest of your life.
Be careful out there. A motorcycle can be overwhelming at times. Acceleration and speed is intoxicating and the 07 has more then enough potential. It is not the power of the bike that is a danger because you have control over it, it is the other road users that are unpredictable. Your perspective on traffic is totally different and you will be amazed how bad drivers are at operating their vehicles. Ride as if they are out to kill you.
Good thing you didn't buy a white one, that would be too much for you I am sure ;)

Thanks.  I live in Port St John.
Aaaah, you're east coast, I'm Tampa Bay area. If you've heard of any good twisty roads in my area let me know ... I'm dying here!

Beemer

• Premium Member
LOL I suspect if you normally look "big and goofy" you're going to look that way regardless of which bike you ride :) 
Seriously if the bike fits you ergonomically, and you enjoy it, who really cares what you look like on it?

Congratulations on finally getting a motorcycle! Make sure life doesn't get in the way too much and you take time for yourself and ride the thing. BTW, I like a long winded post. I like to know the background of the rider. When I read "Just bought the FZ. Love it" I think, that's it?

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome RapidFZ! Good lookin' bike! And, yes, it is the fastest! Thanks for joining.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Archived