The MT-07 Forum

Speedometer is Accurate!

phyciocc

• Premium Member

Hello everyone:
If anyone saw this before, I apologize, but this really surprised me.

My summer teaching gig evaporated into thin air (darn, that money would've come in handy...), so I have unexpected free time.

Today I finally installed my Ram Mount cell phone holder on a brake reservoir Ram Mount 1" ball and went for a ride.
I have a full fledged GPS app on the phone so finally I was able to determine that my speedometer, to my utter surprise, is spot on!

In all the bikes I have had, all speedos were wildly optimistic, indicating between 5% and 10% higher that true speed.
The Fz07 speed is in perfect agreement with the GPS. Now I know why the cop that pulled me over for doing 69 in a 55 told me to cool it. I was really doing 69 in a 55!
With my old Yamaha Tourer, 69 meant maybe 62...
Marco
Physics Prof. Be aware :o:)

• Premium Member

That is truly different from any other bike I've owned, and good to know.
I thought I had a 5% to 7% overhead! I haven't been pulled over yet. ...YET!

Why can't left turners see us?

Electronic speedos are frequently very accurate. Think my FZ is off by 2mph at all speeds. My aprilia reads high by 1 mph.

Mine reads 4 to 5 kms over at 60 kmh according to those speed monitoring signs at construction speed zones.

I'll have to check mine against the radar signs. Every vehicle I've owned have a speedo that reads high on purpose. My GLI has a speedometer that's about 4% high yet the mileage is spot on and my speed warning will tell me my actual speed. My Gs500 was 10% high.

Ditto what @yamahaha said. Mine is ~7% higher using the neighbourhood radar signs. Small sample size so far I know, but maybe there's a slight bias with Cdn bikes. Does the U.S. version allow mph/kph toggling or is that only a feature on the MT-07? Maybe someone can do an experiment...

Ditto what @yamahaha said. Mine is ~7% higher using the neighbourhood radar signs. Small sample size so far I know, but maybe there's a slight bias with Cdn bikes. Does the U.S. version allow mph/kph toggling or is that only a feature on the MT-07? Maybe someone can do an experiment...

in the U.S. Speedometers cant be more than -3% of actual in EU it must never indicate a speed lower than actual. This means that manufacturers introduce a higher bias on the indicated speed vs actual calculated speed just so they don't get digned with fines and lawsuits. Your mileage or average speed display will usually be the most accurate.
I wouldn't put too much trust in phone gps apps either- they aren't the most accurate.

Interesting thing that I've thought about is that.. if your speedometer is reading faster than you are traveling, then your odometer is racking up more miles than you are traveling. If I was a conspiracy theorist I would probably say something along the lines of "this is by design, to devalue your vehicle more quickly."

I ride mine with a Garmin GPS and all the times I've checked (around 9-10 times) between 35-75mph are all exactly spot on.

• Premium Member

Since speed is a factor of distance covered over time, and time itself may actually be an illusion, one cannot categorically attest to the speedometer's accuracy or lack thereof.

"No matter where you go, there you are."

Since speed is a factor of distance covered over time, and time itself may actually be an illusion, one cannot categorically attest to the speedometer's accuracy or lack thereof. 
if time is an illusion, then it stands that "no matter where you go, there you were" might also apply. 

Yea mine is right in as well. I was happy to see that after finding out how far my gsxr 750 was. I knew my gsxr was off but didn't know how much by. I saw a cop on the side of the road radariing people. I stopped and asked him if he can tag me so see where I was at. I was 14% over. on older bikes is super important to get speedo healers to accuretly see how many miles you have.

Moved my GPS to a place where I could see the speed a bit better - My speedo read less the 1 mph lower than the indicated GPS speed.

Does anyone know where the sensor is? Is it in the gearbox? It's sure not on either wheel. .

I wouldn't put too much accuracy into your gps reading either. The only way to know your true speed is with a calibrated radar or lidar gun.

recurveshooter

Comparing my speedo to the "YOUR SPEED IS..." signs, it's within 1 mph up to 45. My Ducati was 15mph off at 70 HAHAHAHA!!!!

recurveshooter

if time is an illusion, then it stands that "no matter where you go, there you were" might also apply. 
lol! I think Doc Brown would agree.

Beemer

I wouldn't put too much accuracy into your gps reading either. The only way to know your true speed is with a calibrated radar or lidar gun.

I now have four sources agree mine is approx 1 mph off.

Neighborhood signs. 1 MPH on two different signs.
GPS. 1 MPH off at Any speed up to 100 MPH (that's the speed I stopped testing at).
And now I was pulled over and have it on video!he said he got me at 79 and in the video my speedo reads 80.

I think when four sources show the SAME results, it should be reliable :)

GPS. 1 MPH off at Any speed up to 100 MPH (that's the speed I stopped testing at).
And now I was pulled over and have it on video!he said he got me at 79 and in the video my speedo reads 80.

Now that's dedication lmao

Now that's dedication lmao
Think I would have stopped at the 1st 3! 

• Premium Member

My Garmin is right on with the FZ at Interstate speeds. Btw, it's the same Garmin we use at Bonneville and there it is on the money with the SCTA timing equipment... at least to 225mph.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup! It reads accurate! Cop pulled me over in a 40 kph (25 mph) zone ... I was going 60 kph. Turned out to be my lucky day! I knew the cop and he let me go. Lesson learned!

I checked mine on day one on the ride home against my wife's car. Dead on 65. I also checked it against GPS and then odometer against known distance. All three check out.

It's nice to not have to install a speedo healer to correct factory inaccuracy.

Archived