The MT-07 Forum

Scissor jack under the oil pan?

dizzid1320

Has anyone tried this yet?  First, I'm not sure that the oil pan is a good balance point front/rear.  Second, I don't know if the oil pan is strong enough to support the full weight for a few hours of work.  I'd like to get away with storing just a single, small jack if I can.  My swingarm stand takes up way too much space.

bmwpowere36m3

Balance point... As in pick up both wheels? Terrible idea! If I was going to lift either end up via the oil pan, I'd place a 2x4 between the jack and oil pan to spread the load.

• Premium Member

I would say no that's a bad idea, but it's only a mistake you're likely to make once :)

• Premium Member

You can use a heavy rod thru the axle bolt and rest the heavy rod on the Jack stand pads lil " v" shape...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I've seen guys lift heavier bikes by the exhaust cans which means all the weight was on ultimately placed at the cylinder heads. So I'd guess the bottom of the motor is strong enough. But I'd also guess this is asking for trouble as there's not much of a foot print and it's pretty far forward

I just lifted the arse end of mine to replace the shock. I used a scissors jack under the motor with a board in between just to stabilize (after the pict was taken), but all the heavy lifting was done with a tow strap and a 1 ton chain hoist with the front secured 

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f216/rashapir/IMG_1411_zpsnont3sri.jpg

Thanks for everyone's input. And, just to clarify, I didn't mean the tiny POS scissor jack that comes in a car's spare tire well... LOL.

I'm looking into a rear shock swap for the pretty Nitron unit.  The ceiling/strap method I think would be ideal but I don't have anything like that.  Perhaps I will just price out the labor for a shop to do it.

This is what I was considering, specifically made for motorcycles, though typically associated with Harley's and the like:

61ybtpZbtzL._SL1500_.jpg

If you just use that lift, the front might come off the ground before the back. If you can hold the front secure the way I've done this, you might get away with it.

Break those bolts holding the shock free before it's up in the air. Use 6 pt sockets. It'll only take 30 secs to swap the shock out and get the bolts back in (44Nm front and 40Nm back) . Tighten the hardware with it back on terra firma. The hardest part of that job is removing those 2 screw in plastic fasteners holding the hugger in place.

I have a buddy who built a frame out of threaded iron pipe - like you would find for natural gas inside the house. The bottoms were a T and then there was a cross piece over the top of the verticals. It's wide enough to straddle over top of the bike. He then just uses ratchet straps to hoist the bike up. Pretty cheap set-up.

I have a pict somewhere at home, I can post later

Now, if it would only stop raining so I can give that Ohlins now on mine a good test ride.

Now that I know it's not your typical pos car scissor jack I would say just don't bump it and get it balanced well.

Beemer

thomascrown

You can run a steel rod through the swing arm pivot and hold it up with jack stands as well. Probably a bit more stable that way.

The silver plug, just in front of the top rearset mounting bolt - is that a cover for the swingarm pivot axle?

• Premium Member
You can run a steel rod through the swing arm pivot and hold it up with jack stands as well. Probably a bit more stable that way.
Any suggestions on a rod that diameter?  I'm trying to rig something up to install my Matris fork.  I pulled the covers off and was surprised by the small ID of the pivot arm axle. 

Why can't left turners see us?

The silver plug, just in front of the top rearset mounting bolt - is that a cover for the swingarm pivot axle?
That piece is just decoration. If you remove the 2 screws at the top, the bottom will pop off  
But the swingarm pivot is a solid piece - no way to slide anything thru it

Any suggestions on a rod that diameter?  I'm trying to rig something up to install my Matris fork.  I pulled the covers off and was surprised by the small ID of the pivot arm axle. 

Not sure how the swingarm pivot will help. It's small cause it's solid and let's face it, the bike is light and doesn't make a lot of power Anyway, you cannot remove that long bolt w/o supporting the weight of the bike something exactly like in my pict earlier - chicken/egg  
Do you have frame sliders? If so, you could put jack stands under those on either side and use a scissors jack under the motor. Dare to be bold. 

The proper way to do this is to have a front stand that will support from the hole in the bottom of the steerer tube/stem. You'd still need to have the back on a swingarm stand anyway.

If you are really brave, use a spool stand on the rear axle and just raise the front with a scissors jack.  

Sorry, but if yer gonna do your own work - and I applaud anyone and everyone who does -  you just can't have too many tools.  

dizzid1320
Sorry, but if yer gonna do your own work - and I applaud anyone and everyone who does -  you just can't have too many tools.  
Can you please explain that to my fiance?  I'd rather someone else get "the glare" while I buy more tools.

• Premium Member

Not sure how the swingarm pivot will help. It's small cause it's solid and let's face it, the bike is light and doesn't make a lot of power Anyway, you cannot remove that long bolt w/o supporting the weight of the bike something exactly like in my pict earlier - chicken/egg  
Do you have frame sliders? If so, you could put jack stands under those on either side and use a scissors jack under the motor. Dare to be bold. 

The proper way to do this is to have a front stand that will support from the hole in the bottom of the steerer tube/stem. You'd still need to have the back on a swingarm stand anyway.

If you are really brave, use a spool stand on the rear axle and just raise the front with a scissors jack.  

I figured it out.  Matris Shock Installed thread. 

Why can't left turners see us?

Archived