The MT-07 Forum

Good Deal On Service Manual

databyter

• Premium Member
http://www.service-shop-repair-manual.com/2015-2016-yamaha-fz-07-fz7-part-lit-11616-28-07-service-shop-repair-manual/

I just bought one. Looks like the real deal to me, and quite heavy and thick so it must have a lot of goodies inside.

35 bucks is pretty decent since I have seen it for 3 times that much elsewhere.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member

Let me know once you receive, I will buy it after I know it's legit ;)

That looks 'hand bound' to me. Ie. someone scanned the factory manual or got their hands on the original PDF or publishing document and ran it off at Kinkos (they have policies against this sort of thing) or another commercial printer. The content is no doubt legit, but I am pretty sure the guy offering the service isn't doing so legally or lives in a jurisdiction that doesn't honor US or international copyright law.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member
That looks 'hand bound' to me. Ie. someone scanned the factory manual or got their hands on the original PDF or publishing document and ran it off at Kinkos (they have policies against this sort of thing) or another commercial printer. The content is no doubt legit, but I am pretty sure the guy offering the service isn't doing so legally or lives in a jurisdiction that doesn't honor US or international copyright law.
Good eye.  I feel better knowing I paid full price for mine now :)

• Premium Member
Let me know once you receive, I will buy it after I know it's legit ;)
You bet. So far it seems very legit. Plus I paid for it with Paypal so I'm protected either way. They sent me confirmation on purchase, and on shipping status so far which seems pretty solid. I did register on the page, as opposed to buying as a guest, but I assume the emails and updates are part of any purchase, and a really good sign that these guys feed a lot of shops around the country. THere are tons of other manuals as well. 
I'll post my results when I get the manual, with pics.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
Interesting I didn't notice the heavy duty binding. 
Then again, that's a lot of trouble to go thru to sell a pirated document. Most text books that this is done to are sold in 3 hole folders or similar.

Lets wait till I get it and see. These are SHOP manuals, not bookcase trophies. I have seen legit service manuals with heavy duty binding built to last in a shop environment. The description specifically says there are genuine, but of course that means nothing.

I would hesitate to report them, as someone said they have, until I do the review upon receipt. I do some nice pics, and we can see what the writing that seems to be stamped into the binding says.

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member
How was yours bound?

Databyter

• Premium Member

Zoomed in on the binding stamp. It just says "secure Bind". I can't call it.

Databyter

• Premium Member
How was yours bound?
Uh like a normal book. With glue.

• Premium Member
How was yours bound?
Uh like a normal book. With glue.
This would appear to be somewhat suspect then, given the price and the binding. I'm witholding judgement until I recieve shipment, but I'll let you guys know what I get. Maybe the pic is an original binding with a shop friendly re-enforcement. Maybe not. 

Databyter

Even if it's a printed PDF version, 35 is a fair price.
I agree that the price is what it SHOULD cost from official channels. I mean, who buys a shop manual if they don't own the bike? Frankly it should come with the toolkit. But if the document is pirated (IMO better than even odds) then a DCMA notice should be served and the provider sued.
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

paulibiker

Why should we "police" this? Seriously, isn't there people that do this?

Come on, seller has a website & you're protected by Paypal. It's not like you're buying it from a guy named "Bubba" who lives in a van down by the river.......

I wasn't advcating for 'police' but rather weighing your personal morals (assuming it does prove to be shady) and whether you wanted to support such a business. The DCMA would be Yamaha's business and their sole purview. If it's not worth the legal bill...

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

OK, second time is a charm I hope. I deleted my first attempt.

I got the manual and had some issues with posting pics that I resized because they are somewhat distorted. Trying it again.

The manual came in a USPS flat rate document box. It was wrapped with multiple layers of a packing wrap, and then the manual itself was shrink wrapped. It appeared the shrink wrap had been done quite some time ago and the manual stored because the back cover had a hole in the wrap from wear but no damage to the book.

This is the shrink wrapped manual with some of the packing wrap I already removed in the frame.

20150701_174911.jpg

Hmm.. still seems a bit distorted, if you grap the URL http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h424/Databyter/20150701_174911.jpg you can view it on photobucket directly and navigate all the pics from there and it looks a bit better but still nowhere the quality of my original shots.

These picks show the shrink wrap and binding, with one including a hand to show thickness.

20150701_175221.jpg20150701_174937.jpg20150701_175004.jpg20150701_175013.jpg

This is after completely unwrapping it. The binding incorporates a hard clear cover and a solid rear cover. It does not appear to be glued like the other FZ-07 members service manual, but rather pressed into a hardcover version.

20150701_175153.jpg20150701_175205.jpg

Here is an inside view.

Better%20Res..jpg
Wierd, I added a full res inside view when I saw how distorted the downsized one was on my original post. Then I deleted and put in the full one, then I uploaded the full res versions of ALL the pics, but some are still showing the low res, so either photobucket, or my own computer is using the cache of the low res of the same name. Hopefully you guys are seeing the better version. On my computer only some of the high res are showing high res.

Anyway, here's the deal. It seems quality to me. I don't care if you guys buy it or not or have issues with it's source. I'm pretty happy with my purchase and it's your call.

This may just be the hard copy shop version, an authorized reprint, or whatever for wholesale distribution to service shops, or not. I have no idea. I'm just glad I didn't have to shell out 80 bucks to a Company I just bought a 7 grand bike from.

Databyter

• 1 month later...
What's the verdict, or you haven't received it yet?  I am also looking to purchase a high-quality service manual...

• Premium Member
What's the verdict, or you haven't received it yet?  I am also looking to purchase a high-quality service manual...
It's great. Used it a few times for myself and a few times for others. Still like new. As others have mentioned it may be a one off, but I really don't care one way or the other.. It is well done. 
After spending many thousands of dollars on the bike, I don't care to get bit on the price of a more comprehensive manual for it. This one hits the spot.

Databyter

• 2 months later...

After seeing this thread, I ordered one for myself (and one for my Street Triple also). They're well put together, and the FZ-07 manual looks genuine. The Triumph manual had photocopy spots from the 3-hole punch and a few specks here and there.

It's a good deal and worth getting, but they're definitely not genuine. Most definitely reprints, albeit good ones.

gpInRgP.jpg

Archived