The MT-07 Forum

For the wife???

jake

• Premium Member
http://www.vmsgrandrapids.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=1235768&p=1&make=honda&vc=cruiser&s=Year&d=D&i=%2Fimglib%2Ftrimsdb%2F2267141-0-6592811.png&t=new&vt=motorcycle%20%2F%20scooter&fr=xNewInventory

I'm thinking this would be a great fist bike for her. DCT would take out the clutch and I cant say thats a bad thing. All are cars are manuals and I love going threw the gears and so does the wife but she is concerned about learning how to use it and to be honest I'm a little concerned too.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

an fz07 would be a great first bike for her, as many of our female forum members have proven.

plus that honda looks like arse

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member

(thankfully) I'm not your wife, so I cannot presume anything about what may or may not be appropriate for her. Many people on this forum have chosen our bike as their first, but that doesn't mean it is the right choice for everyone, necessarily.

If I were forced to recommend anything, I would recommend purchasing a relatively inexpensive used bike until she gains more experience and learns what she likes and doesn't like.

Yup, A smaller, lighter used bike is the way I would go for anyone. If there comes a time that she needs to ride your bike for some reason, she would be able to after learning how.

an fz07 would be a great first bike for her, as many of our female forum members have proven. 
plus that honda looks like arse
We don't always see eye to eye, but we do on this one.  I agree 100%.   
I would value a clutch more over no clutch.  That's half the fun and honestly she should just learn it anyway otherwise she'll get pigeon-holed into clutchless bikes forever, limiting her potential for new bikes after that one.  

Life is good on 2 wheels!

• Premium Member
howworkclutch
(thankfully) I'm not your wife, so I cannot presume anything about what may or may not be appropriate for her. Many people on this forum have chosen our bike as their first, but that doesn't mean it is the right choice for everyone, necessarily. 
If I were forced to recommend anything, I would recommend purchasing a relatively inexpensive used bike until she gains more experience and learns what she likes and doesn't like.
i like this.

and, maybe it would be a good idea to let her pick her bike.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

This is one of many bikes I was considering buying. A friend has it with DCT and let me ride it. I thought it was fine but the ugly exhaust killed it for me. There is a ton of storage in what looks like the gas tank; that is really nice. For a cruiser style bike it can be ridden pretty aggressively.

If your wife is comfortable with a manual transmission car there should be no problem transferring that skill to a bike but she should probably start on a smaller bike to see if she likes riding first.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

I told her the other day they they made bikes with automatic transmissions on them .... and she said that is what she would want.

I just have to get her on the FZ I know. I don't want to force it but I might just have to.I have the buell so if she liked the FZ then I would not even have to get another bike.

99% of all bikes require you to activate a clutch. You are severely limiting her options by getting her a DCT. Since you say all your cars are manuals, your wife should be able to use a clutch, so your post makes little sense :)
In fact, a sequential gearbox in a motorcycle is significantly easier than a manual car gearbox. Gearchanges on a bike is just up and down, compared to a stick. Take her to an empty parking lot and have her practice on your bike and she'll be fine.

Honestly I don't get why so many Americans are afraid of clutches. In Europe 99% of the cars are manual and women drive them with no problem. Automatic transmissions are mostly used by taxies and disabled people (not a joke btw).

• Premium Member
99% of all bikes require you to activate a clutch. You are severely limiting her options by getting her a DCT. Since you say all your cars are manuals, your wife should be able to use a clutch, so your post makes little sense :) In fact, a sequential gearbox in a motorcycle is significantly easier than a manual car gearbox. Gearchanges on a bike is just up and down, compared to a stick. Take her to an empty parking lot and have her practice on your bike and she'll be fine.

Honestly I don't get why so many Americans are afraid of clutches. In Europe 99% of the cars are manual and women drive them with no problem. Automatic transmissions are mostly used by taxies and disabled people (not a joke btw).
I will say I don't think afraid I'd say more like lazy, but when your road to work is more like a parking lot a auto is the way to go.... My left legs is already 2x the size of my right lol. I mean to be honest if all I had to do was push a button that said go to work and I could sleep the whole way I would ;)  But on my down time on a road with the twisties that is a different story. 

At least have her try a proper clutchless bike, such as a BMW with "pro shift assistant" which is clutchless up AND downshifts, you still activate with your foot like usual. I drove a S1000XR and the gear changes are fast and instant and freaking awesome, like a formula one car. It also has technical stuff like ABS pro (some gyroscopic stuff with lean angle, front+rear brake wizardry etc) which increases safety so she'll be fine (this video makes it look pretty impressive especially at around the 3 minute mark where he slams on the breaks while in full lean:

). And cruise control for the commute. 
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html?content=http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/bike/adventure/s1000xr/s1000xr_overview.html¬rack=1

Although, a 1000cc might be a bit much for a first bike lol... Perhaps a smaller/cheaper BMW with pro shift assistant would be more suitable.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Why not just have her take a basic motorcycle safety course?  The one downside from her perspective would be the bikes have a clutch for shifting. However, the bikes are small and she could always get an automatic for her bike after taking the class. Plus she learned on a MSF bike instead of your bike.

• Premium Member
I told her the other day they they made bikes with automatic transmissions on them .... and she said that is what she would want.  

So based on this statement from your wife - it sounds like a done deal!! I would suggest going with what she wants (and what she may have implied she is agreeing to) so she can get started with riding. She may or may not stick with that specific bike long term, but it will likely get her into it.   

• Premium Member

Just have her take the MSF course. She will find out then and there if she's uncomfortable and you'll only be out $250 or whatever it costs. Then buy a rebel or ninja for a couple grand. The road is a bit more intimidating than a parking lot, she may not like that. You can then resell the starter bike for most of what you paid for it and upgrade or opt out.

My humble opinion however, is that clutch skills are not the most important to proficient riding on the road. A whole slew of other skills like braking, situational awareness, reaction time, throttle control and reducing your negative reflexes are as, if not more important.

Not always, but stalling your bike at a light, in crawling traffic or a parking lot won't put you in as much harm as most scenarios not involving the clutch.

Everything went braap.

@massman, please note that technical googads like ABS do not repeal the laws of physics. The rider clearly straightened up his bike before applying maximum braking.

@jake, it is absolutely *imperative* that your wife take a professional riding instruction course (MSF, RidersEdge, or other sanctioned outfit) and pass well, not squeak by. Also, did she get her dream car as her first car? Of course not. Same rules apply to bikes. Get a cheap, light bike and remove all gratuitous plastic. Ride every couple days in traffic (even just 30 minutes and have her lead!) and roads for a solid 6 weeks. By then her comfort level (unlike men, women have a much stronger need for 'comfort') will be vastly increased and she'll have a decent amount of experience in handling situations.

Successful completion of a training course only certifies you to ride a 250cc bike in a controlled setting in a parking lot. It means squat with regard to your fitness to operate at road speeds among traffic and subject to the hazards therein.

I've taught MSF and commercial for 8 years in VA and IL and easily 1/2 of the class has been women.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

I'm a firm believer that a beginner should have a light bike without too much power because when they start out riding they go slow a lot and a heavy bike that starts to lean (and any bike is going to) a wee too much will get dropped by someone without the strength to stop it from falling further and if they do, then lift it back to upright. A lighter bike is just easier to maneuver in the city anyway. There are some people that do ok with the FZ 07 as a first bike but I personally don't recommend it. It has a lot of low end torque and if a beginner accidentally gives it a bit too much gas and lets the clutch out too fast the bike can get away from a newb in a hurry. I would recommend a Honda CB500F as a beginner bike. It has less torque, less power (but enough to cruise the highway) and is more manageable for a beginner at 420 lbs. The Honda CTX700N weighs 478.4. (save $$$ also)

Beemer

There are lots of good starter bikes in the used market. You want low CoG and ~30HP and standard ergonomics. There are zillions of ninja 250, ninja 500, GS500e out there.

I started on a cb750 because I didn't know any better and it was CHEAP ($1500). My first year of riding I did 30,000 miles. Yes you read that right. My second bike was a GS500e. I learned far more and enjoyed myself even more on that bike.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

There are lots of good starter bikes in the used market. You want low CoG and ~30HP and standard ergonomics. There are zillions of ninja 250, ninja 500, GS500e out there. 
I started on a cb750 because I didn't know any better and it was CHEAP ($1500). My first year of riding I did 30,000 miles. Yes you read that right. My second bike was a GS500e. I learned far more and enjoyed myself even more on that bike.

I absolutely agree and one in particular that I think would make a good starter bike that can do highway speeds, has low seat height and is not too powerful or torquey is the Kawasaki 500 Vulcan.

Beemer

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

Any of the new 300s out there would be perfect as a starter bike. Or even a Triumph Thruxton or Bonneville.

Gotta love an MSF instructor calling safety features like ABS "technical googads".

Gotta love an MSF instructor calling safety features like ABS "technical googads".
I was simply making the point that ABS is a helpful technology but that I deal with a disturbingly large number of people who think it'll save their bacon each and every time. Mastering non-assisted technique is vastly more important and you'll know what to do when the computer isn't there or is misbehaving. ABS is a crutch. A nice, and useful crutch, don't get me wrong, but it is no replacement for a properly trained rider who practices.

Most Americans barely put 3000 miles/yr on their bikes. Aside from General Aviation pilots, nobody in their right mind would consider this sufficient to maintain competency. 
bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

The wife was supposed to take the course with me but that didn't work out.

Archived