The MT-07 Forum

Break-In Overheating.

databyter

• Premium Member

I bought my bike new (FZ-07) and rode it home from the dealer with only a few miles on it. I was really tired after working a very long shift and days of trying to buy a bike and get financing and insurance and work overtime shifts at the same time.

I only paint the background because I feel like I made some mistakes I wouldn't have if I was working on all thrusters mentally.

At any rate here's the crux of it. Here I am trying to be real careful, keep it under 5 K, new rider etc.. and the first thing I do is decide to take surface streets since I am a new rider, new bike, and I really didn't feel like fighting the freeway, so I got into a situation where I was on a small coastal road and got stuck behind a very very long freight train.

I didn't think about it right away but at a certain point I started worrying about the engine getting so hot since I was just idling at a standstill. And the engine felt hot, then I felt the fan kick in (and until then I didn't even realize it HAD a fan). I realized that I was at about 15 miles and the engine was probably very very hot for the fan to kick in like that. Probably the worst thing to do right? even the manual says to avoid any situation or condition where the engine gets hot in the breakin period.

In my tired state, I mean really tuckered out I wasn't sure if I should even shut the motor off (Now I'm sure that would have been the best thing since the parts wouldn't be moving against each other). My logic in keeping it on was that the fan was engaged, and that should keep it cool enough, and maybe that's true in general, but for breakin, that's still pretty damn hot when that thing kicks in. I mean, that night was the ONLY time in 600 miles that I ever felt or heard the fan come on while stopped.

So I was basically there idling with the fan running for 20-25 minutes or so. Probably no big deal although not ideal..right?

THoughts?

Also in general with a water cooled motor can you just idle indefinitly because of the fan? Does it work well enough to prevent overheating?

Databyter

Databyter

• Premium Member

I would have shut the bike off via the red thumb switch on the throttle housing after a few mins if I was stuck at a rail road crossing for 25 mins..the bike has a built over temp sensor that will automatically shut the bike off if it gets that hot like 240° or something... It's normal to see under 175° when cruising along and up to 205° when in heavy traffic by Michigan standards...the fans do a pretty decent job but I find there is no need to let the bike idle for more than 5 mins...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Guest Ralph

I very much doubt you will have caused any problems
mine came on within 5 miles of leaving the dealer but
since it's got a few miles on the clock does not seem to come on
I would check the coolant level in the tank but other than that not worry about it.

• Premium Member

I might have turned it off if I was at a stand still but because you didn't you don't have anything to be concerned about. I've been stuck in traffic several times stop and go and that is the worst IMO but thank the Yamalord they are liquid cooled.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

+1 Don't worry, Be happy! The engine can handle it.

Why can't left turners see us?

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I hit 220 degrees in gridlock on the regular but the fan cools it down to 212 or so. It sucks but what can you do? I can't shut the bike off because I am creeping along at 2-3 miles an hour.

I've been stuck in traffic jams, stop and go situations too, with various bikes, where you cannot shut off the engine. Doesn't seem to do harm but they do get hot. This is really worrisome on an air cooled engine.

Keep the coolant topped off(both our 07s needed a top up after being ridden the first time) and use good motor oil. A good oil can save your engine in a real overheat situation. Low quality oil may vaporize or burn off at high temps while the good stuff will keep lubing long enough to hopefully save your motor.

I would've shut it off for two reasons ... hot legs and save gas. If the bike is hot the fan will kick on even after you shut it off so why not shut it off. I know you didn't know that, just saying for future reference.

Beemer

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the tips and reassurance. Yea, I shoulda shut it down, I was just sorta zombie that day. And I really am not worried about it in general, I am worried about it because it was so early in the break-in period and I hope it won't affect my power, milage, valves etc. But I guess it serves no purpose to worry about something that is a done deal. Even if it did cause a bit of undue wear of the less good kind, I still have a nice bike, and as the guy above said, the motor can take it. Now I won't have to worry about it being perfect anymore :)

Databyter

bmwpowere36m3

If you didn't get a RED idiot light on the dash or coolant puking out the radiator expansion tank overflow… then you likely didn't overheat it. However, idling for long periods on a new bike that is being broken-in is bad from a break-in perspective (mostly piston rings). Basically don't make it a habit till the engine is fully broken-in at 1k+ miles. You can also view the temp from the dash… anything higher than 220-230*F and I would shut it down.

recurveshooter

We've been having some hot weather in Colorado with temps between 90 and 100. When I'm cruising at 65 on the highway the gauge says between 178 and 184 but when I stop at a light or something it shoots up to 200/220. The fan seems to turn on in the mid 220's and keeps things under control until I can start moving again. I'm pretty sure this is all normal and ain't worried about it a lick. I don't think you should either. ;-)

recurveshooter

Data,

I think the bigger issue here is that you're riding a bike while mentally exhausted and not all there...

Im not your mom or your dad or your nanny or a democrat but i really do think you should better evaluate yourself prior to hopping on a potentially dangerous machine that requires more concentration than a car.

• Premium Member
Data, 
I think the bigger issue here is that you're riding a bike while mentally exhausted and not all there...

Im not your mom or your dad or your nanny or a democrat but i really do think you should better evaluate yourself prior to hopping on a potentially dangerous machine that requires more concentration than a car.
Yeah, I think he might needs to go to concentration camp  

(joke stole form southpark) sorry could not help myself

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
Data, 

Good point but I really didn't have a heckuva lot of choice after trying to jump thru financing/purchasing hurdles while commuting 2 hours each way by bus for several days. I had no other way to get home that night and nowhere to sleep where I was.
The reason I was zoning out on the breakin and temp was that I was 100% focussed on safety.
Databyter

Databyter

Archived