The MT-07 Forum

I don't have a paddock stand

yamahappy74

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I've got 500 miles on this thing and its in need of an oil change and a chain adjustment. Trouble is, I don't have a paddock stand or even a garage to work in.

Any ideas as to a quick, cheap solution so I can perform this maintenance myself? I'll be damned if I'm letting the shop soak me for it. I did it all on my R6, I can do it on this one.

How did you do it on the R6 without a stand?

If you have a jack stand you might be able to Jack up the bike from the engine then put a pipe through the swing arm pivot and rest the pipe on jacket ands on both sides

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

From my perspective... Reinvest the money you save from not having someone else do it and buy a rear stand.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

You don't need the backend off the ground to adjust the chain or change the oil.

But you can put a small jack under the kickstand side of the swingarm. Jack it up slowly with one arm while pulling the bike over with the other. Stick a chunk of wood under the opposite side swingarm. Block the front wheel or the bike can/will roll off the side stand before you start jacking. This is what I do for cleaning and lubing the chain and it works fine. I have a tiny floor jack I bought years ago for something like 20 bucks on sale.

Would be nice to jack it up from the center of the bike but the muffler is there and I'm not into jacking on the muffler.

bmwpowere36m3
How did you do it on the R6 without a stand? 
If you have a jack stand you might be able to Jack up the bike from the engine then put a pipe through the swing arm pivot and rest the pipe on jacket ands on both sides
+1

How'd you work on the R6?  I doubt a jack will fit under the engine if you still have the stock exhaust… maybe near the front, but that'd raise the front and not rear.  My first oil change I did with the bike on the side stand… no problem.  I checked the oil level by getting on my knees, looking down at the sight glass and pushing/holding the bike vertical with one hand.  Don't worry the oil level doesn't have to be super spot on… as long as you see oil in the sight glass you'll be fine.

Chain slack can also be checked with the bike on the side stand (or it should be).  To adjust it, I guess it could be done on the side stand as well… though I would prefer not to.

Check with local riding clubs, some of them have spots to wrench on bikes. Also, for me, I live in a condo, and the road to it is on a hill, I just ride down to the bottom and park my truck on the side of the road (it's in the complex, not a public road), and do the work right behind the truck

• Premium Member

I changed the oil and adjusted the chain from the side stand and neither task was a problem. Combined they probably took less than an hour. The oil change is super easy - if you were prepared (tools and supplies) that one could likely be done in 10-15 minutes. If I did not have a garage or parking lot where I could do it, I would probably just phone a friend who has a driveway.

• Premium Member

I do all oil changes and chain adjustment using no paddock stand...I use a motion pro chain alignment tool to double check the chain alignment...all this can be done in 45 mins if one was just moseying along...just a lil FYI... The stock oil filter from the factory was put on by the Hulk so you will need to use some oil filter wrenches and you can reinstall the new oil filter by just giving the filter a good hard twist using just your hands once it stops spinning onto the oil filter housing...and the hash marks on the swing arm for aligning the rear tire are not the same but good enough to get an okay alignment...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

I haven't had my R6 since 2004 and I got rid of almost all of my stuff at the time because I really wasn't expecting to get another bike any time soon. Fast forward to 2014 and I got another bike, but my life is so much different now. No more house and so, no garage.

Thanks for the tips, all. I'd love to have a paddock stand, and I'll pick one up at some point, but for now, I have to work with what I've got, which is really just a lot of tools.

• Premium Member

I have a jack that fits just under my exhaust and I can pick up the back end off the ground while the kick stand is still in contact with the ground. That is a big reason I don't want to change my stock exhaust lol. If I go further than that I'll just get a bike lift so I can work on it.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

bmwpowere36m3

You can get a cheap paddock stand at HF or Cyclegear for $30-60... I wouldn't mess around with jacks under the engine and relying on the kickstand to support the bike. All it'll take is one spill... to justify the cost of the stand. If your not getting a stand, then just do your best with the bike resting on the side stand.

bmwpowere36m3
I have a jack that fits just under my exhaust and I can pick up the back end off the ground while the kick stand is still in contact with the ground. That is a big reason I don't want to change my stock exhaust lol. If I go further than that I'll just get a bike lift so I can work on it.
Looking at exhaust like Yoshi and Akra... I have to assume you'll gain more clearance to the underside of the engine. The muffler sits along side the swingarm vs. the stock muffler "box" right under the engine.

• Premium Member
Looking at exhaust like Yoshi and Akra... I have to assume you'll gain more clearance to the underside of the engine. The muffler sits along side the swingarm vs. the stock muffler "box" right under the engine.

I guess my main point is I don't use a stand and I'm able to do all my maintenance. 

• Premium Member
You can get a cheap paddock stand at HF or Cyclegear for $30-60... I wouldn't mess around with jacks under the engine and relying on the kickstand to support the bike. All it'll take is one spill... to justify the cost of the stand. If your not getting a stand, then just do your best with the bike resting on the side stand.
didn't see this at first. 
I'll just say I feel 100% safe with how I work on my bike

Archived