The MT-07 Forum

Dyno Tuned, O2 Opt, and Air Injection System Blocked Off :D

captainbeard714

captainbeard714

Holy crap my bike is a smooth running, awesome sounding, power wheelie machine now!  Took it to R Cal Racing who is a certified Dynojet tuner.  He blocked off the air injection system and did a few little tricks elsewhere as well as custom settings on the O2 optimizer part of the Power Commander 5 system.  He then dyno tuned it to get the perfect air fuel ration and significantly increased throttle response and some over all power.  Bike is amazing now! And no more deceleration pop!  

Interesting to take note, I have the akrapovic exhaust with the dna filter and lid.  I had the exact fuel map for that setup loaded on the power commander from dynojets website and the air/fuel was still way off before he tuned it.  Happy now.  Ill try and scan the dyno results in later. 

fooschnickens

Interesting. Didn't know these bikes even had an AIS. Do you have any pictures of where it is? Is it the breather hose that goes from the airbox to the TB assembly?

Since it was dyno tuned, do you happen to have any dyno power specs/graphs?

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 doesn't have an air injection system so whatever they told you they fed you a load of crap. Go back and ask them where they blocked it off at.

fooschnickens
The FZ-07 doesn't have an air injection system so whatever they told you they fed you a load of crap. Go back and ask them where they blocked it off at.
I'm gonna have to agree. Going by the parts fiche, there's only one hose going between the airbox and the throttle body, and it appears to be for the idle control valve. 

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

There is also no Adjustment on the O2 Optimizer. It simply tricks the computer into running just a little bit richer over stock. 14.7 to 14.2 It does this by altering the voltage that is sent to the computer. At 14.7 it will send a voltage of around .45 volts the optimizer just changes this to say .4 volts to trick the computer into sending more fuel. Its a neat little box, but not adjustable.

• Premium Member

Maybe they took off the cali emissions junk and called it the "AIS"???

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

fooschnickens
Maybe, though I think the only difference is the additional evap canister under the tank. Seems like it'd be kinda hard to confuse a passive charcoal canister for an active solenoid bolted to the head... 

thomascrown

Sounds fishy. O2 optimizer is just a resistor, no SAI, and I can't imagine that particular tune being way off.

You should verify that actual changes to the tune were made. If you have afr readings from the dyno pre and post custom tune, or even the PCV custom map for us to compare to the "off the shelf" map, we could get to the bottom of this.

• Premium Member
Well maybe if they actually did that and called it AIS then they have no clue. Maybe they just added a few horse power stickers to the bike and called it good =)

• Premium Member

Hmm, the tune from DynoJet's site for your combo was actually from my bike, and it runs perfect. I've since had it tuned multiple times from someone else, and even they said the base map DynoJet made was extremely good.

Do you have the carbon or Ti Akra? Baffle in or baffle out? The map is for Ti, baffle out, just to let you know...

:)

- Paulie

• Premium Member
Screenshot_2015-06-24-00-10-26_zpsadvxwujh.png~320x480I'm thinking the so called " AIS" was the block of parts in the pic for cali only...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I personally noticed dead spots in the off the shelf map myself. so its possible they just cleaned it up a bit. at 80%-100% throttle it was fine but in the area you actually drive in had some dead spots especially after pulling the baffle. Not saying this tuner is crappy but sometimes they will tell the un educated person anything to make them happy. If the OP likes the bike as is than it was money well spent.

• Premium Member
Screenshot_2015-06-24-00-10-26_zpsadvxwujh.png~320x480I'm thinking the so called " AIS" was the block of parts in the pic for cali only...
That's just the charcoal filter canister system.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Hmm, the tune from DynoJet's site for your combo was actually from my bike, and it runs perfect. I've since had it tuned multiple times from someone else, and even they said the base map DynoJet made was extremely good. 
Do you have the carbon or Ti Akra? Baffle in or baffle out? The map is for Ti, baffle out, just to let you know...

- Paulie
Paulie,  I think Dynojet "dummed down" the off the shelf tune they posted for download.  Its possible what you had and what they posted didn't match 100%  at WOT it was fine and the AFR's were very safe but it had some drivability issues.  At least with me here in the southeast.  I know the stock map is pretty lean down low RPM's and rich up top.  I dont think the dynojet tune did enough for this lean condition down low.  its still safe but the drivablilty could have been better.  When i called and asked about your bike specifically they said they could not provide me with your exact tune and that they are not specific enough to work with everyones bike.  But rather a safe tune so people could get to a dyno tuner.  Not knocking Dynojet but they cant get into the business of offering a free specific tune to everyone who buys their PCV.  this is why they have the tuning center network.   

• Premium Member
I personally noticed dead spots in the off the shelf map myself. so its possible they just cleaned it up a bit. at 80%-100% throttle it was fine but in the area you actually drive in had some dead spots especially after pulling the baffle. Not saying this tuner is crappy but sometimes they will tell the un educated person anything to make them happy. If the OP likes the bike as is than it was money well spent.
Well, the tuner was DynoJet themselves, lol.  And you are right tho about the 80-100%, they only really tune for WOT.  Which is why I had my guy tune it throughout the entire rev range. 
Even still my experience was that both tunes ran extremely well.  You mileage may vary (and did apparently)

:D

- Paulie

• Premium Member

Just read your last post...I hear ya.

You're probably right tho, about dumming it down, as it was tuned in a specific set of conditions with 91 octane. It's very feasible they made it more viable for the masses.

- Paulie

captainbeard714

Woah lots of responses! Sorry I was riding Palomar mountain all day lol :D. The guy that did my bike has been doing motorcycles for almost 40 years. I totally trust him. Hes super cool and a few different people recommended me to him. He had a bunch of awesome bikes in the shop and gave me a whole shop and dyno tour. I have the new Map he did saved on a thumb drive from his computer. He also gave me all the dyno results. I'll try and scan them and upload them soon. He just said he did something to block off whatever system it is that adds air for emissions. He said he did it by adding a block off he custom made and that it could easily be reverted back to stock. Whatever he did worked. No more decel popping. Also, he showed me the email from Dynojet. He contacted them about the O2 optimizer and since he's a certified tuning center he said they walked him through changing some of the switches and computer settings on the Power commander for the O2 optimizer.

Anyways, the main reason I posted this was just to say I'm stoked. The guy knows what he was doing. Even with that tune from Power Commander and matching the exact modz I have it just felt off and didn't sound quite right or as quick. And he showed me the air fuel curve was way off. Now after riding all day I can tell the bike is way quicker and more responsive. Power wheelies like nothing now and pulls from 100-120 way quicker too now !!!!. Just overall feels and sounds way better. I'll post some vids tomorrow.

captainbeard714

Oh and I called it AIS cause that's what I thought it was he messed with but I could clearly be wrong I guess. Idk lol

Archived