The MT-07 Forum

I'm going to chop it.

howworkclutch

Imagine the bike without plastics. Cut the tail section off.  
A new tail section with lowered "bucket" seat grafted in. The new tail section will have a backrest with a carrying rack.

All the lights will get tossed in favor of hidden LED lighting. Lots of it. When all the lights are on it should burn retinas. When off, the lights should be invisible.

The front suspension: I have no plan yet. I need to pull the front end off and weigh it. And I need to weigh the bike at each wheel to get an idea of the weight bias. If I can get a girder front end that's lighter/ stronger I'll go that route. That'll let me install an ohlin shock at both ends of the bike, and push the castor angle out to 32 degrees.

32 degrees is the angle of late model sportsters. They can keep up with most anything on the twisty mountain roads. They require more effort in a chicane but I'm not worried about it since I know of only one truly challenging chicane in the southeastern us.

I will teach myself to work with carbon fiber for this build. Seems appropriate.

Any updates?

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

life had me in a bind for most of the year. i made this-years ride, but the bike didn't get any major mods. all my home-brewed stuff was fabricated out of the thinest materials i could get: and it all broke :)

live an learn.

i have made a few changes this past month but nothing worth talking about. not yet anyway.

i'm hoping to get the plastics off for a photoshoot soon. i'll take the pics to my buddy the fabricator and we'll spend an evening in the garage coming up with a plan.

today, i wait on ohlins to send me goodies. next pay day i gotta get the ecu mapped and those nasty brake lines have got to be swapped for better stuff. i can not stand the feel of these brakes. i surely miss that gigantic front brake i had on the buell.

anyway yeah not much movement, but all my life-problems seem to have dried-up for the moment and i can get back to scheming the ultimate sports chopper.

-HowWorkClutch

• Premium Member
howworkclutch

I posted before:

400lbs wet (without a weeks-worth of gear).
This is not going to be a problem. I'm down to 387 now.
No spokes.
No problem, by default.
Low seat.
This requires a night of whiskey with my buddy the fabricator. Currently on hold.
Mid controls with highway pegs.
Also on hold: Need to get the tail section finished first.
Insane lighting levels.
I'm still not sure how I'm going to approach this despite tons of research.
Excellent suspension.
This is supposedly being valved/sprung for me right now.
A rack for hauling a weeks worth of gear. Integrated back-rest. Lots of well-thought-out tie-downs.
Some of this is sitting on my work bench. Some of this is waiting for the new tail section.
Its got to sound bad-arsed.
This problem is solved. Completely. Everyone grins when I whack the throttle on the bike.
Its GOT to look awesome.
No movement here. Still planning.
Slim. Trim. Everything you need, nothing you dont. Super-clean styling.
No movement here. Still planning.
No wimpshields or saddle-barges.
FOR EVER!!!
Excellent cornering (for a chopper).
Well, I'm probably going to make some front-end geometry changes, but its not even worth talking about really.
140 mile range.
No worries here. I'm going 170 on a tank now. Except if said tank sees the drag strip.

New stuff to add:
Better brakes.
Hidden indicators
Paint
Keyless ignition

This isn't an instant gratification project. I have a lot of other project bikes that need love. And the damned harley is a damned money pit if ever there was one.

-HowWorkClutch

Archived