Sign in to follow this  
GaiusDJesse

I crashed my FZ-07 (video)

GaiusDJesse
Accident happens at 2:42. My friend picks the camera up at 11:05.
My accident on April 1st 2015. I lost all memory of this starting from around 1:00.[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicjDdBGZGA]
  • Like 6

Cruizin
Holy freakin crap, I am happy and shocked that you are alive. God has a plan for you, I'm not all super religious or anything but an angel was sitting on your shoulders on April 1st. Are you ok?
  • Like 1

Cruizin
It's hard not to look at obstacles but when we do, we go right towards them and it's so important to just look where you need to go and lean hard. I know, too late for that info but wanted to post this for other new riders who see this. Look away and lean, avoid the brake.
  • Like 5

GaiusDJesse
Yes, my brother told me the same thing, that I have some kind of purpose for living. Everyone tells me I'm lucky to be alive. It's just been hard to believe that because it's been very stressful especially because my girlfriend of two years decided to break with me now when I needed her most. Physically i'm okay though, I will be walking again. I'm supposed to be taking occupational therapy already.

I agree with you and I hope this video does serve some purpose to make others aware, especially new riders.
  • Like 5

Cruizin
Veteran riders ned to see it too as we often get comfortable and overconfident. Sorry to hear about your GF. I don't know her, but to hell with her man. She obviously wasn't the one for you and for her to leave you now means there is nothing to second guess.

Life throws us learning curves man, sometimes big freaking ones. And while they seem completely shetty while they are happening, years later you often look back thankful because they tend to teach us alot about ourselves and often cause positive changes in our lives.

I hope that you recover physically and mentally and keep your chin up. And keep coming back here, you are still one of us. Let us know if you ever get back up on two wheels.
  • Like 4

pantheraleo
Hard to see that. Very hard. It is simply incredible you survived, and that you are doing 'okay' physically. I thought "target fixation" when I watched it before reading any comments.

Hey, its nearly gotten me a few times so I'm trying to remain super vigilant about it. Thanks for sharing this, keep us updated on your recovery, brother!

roadrunner
Glad your still alive. So many questions about the accident.
1. That a 2 lane road??? Where are the lane markers if so?? Or is it one way?
2. Was the truck stationary or moving? If so how fast?
3. If not moving, might have it been better to drop/slide the bike under the truck instead of a direct hit?
4. Was this your first time up there?
5. Is this is a new bike? Tires properly broken in already?
6. What kind of helmet were you using?

I know you don't remember a lot, but whatever you can remember helps, and maybe others who see this can notice things better than I. Seems like the downward angle of the road and the speed made it very hard to lean even if you'd tried, theres nolane markers anyway, so how is one supposed to know the outside inside outside turn path to go??

All I know for sure is this is exactly why I don't go fast or even remotely fast on mountain roads. I've already had an accident on the freeway due to bad road conditions, thank god I survived that too, so my biggest fear is road conditions. You just never know what's around the next corner. Could be oily, could be potholes, wet, Sandy, dirty, muddy, bumpy, could be traffic, could be an animal, anything. And there's no space to bail, usually either cliff, wall, or impact with machine. Everything is just a million times more dangerous up there. I still go cause the scenery is nice, but I'm not rushing and any blind corner I take with as much control as I can, regardless of how much I gotta slow down(of course slowing down safely too, don't wanna get rear ended). I know I'm not a racer and its not a race track and Im not gonna pretend. Ive already nearly paid the ultimate price for riding outside of proper conditions for the situation, so im doing everything i can to avoid or minimize the risk. Thats why sometimes i wont even ride. I remember that being one of tips in the rider course, occasionally the best option is dont ride. You cant avoid everything, but it certainly doesnt help to take unnecessary risks. may never go to glendora now, seriously still don't get why there's no lane markers??

In any case, I wish you a fast recovery, and hopefully there isn't much permanent damage. If you do decide to ride again, let me know. But just remember, safety is huge to me, so I won't go fast just to keep up. Hopefully your buddy takes less risks too, kinda seems like it could have easily been him too. Or even a car, that truck took up like 3/4s of the road! Makes no sense. Glad your alive man, really really glad your alive

roadrunner
Just noticed at the 1:08 mark there's a sign that says 30mph... When you entered the turn you were going nearly twice that speed. Those signs are there to prevent this type of stuff. Gonna pay even more attention to those things from now on

Thanks for posting the video. Learning a lot from it
  • Like 2

thomascrown
Just noticed at the 1:08 mark there's a sign that says 30mph... When you entered the turn you were going nearly twice that speed. Those signs are there to prevent this type of stuff. Gonna pay even more attention to those things from now on 
It wasn't just speed alone, but a complete lack of lane discipline.  Every time you cross the imaginary yellow line, you're training your mind to think it's okay.  It's absolutely not okay ever to cross into the opposing lane, even if there is no traffic.  When you take lines with the expectation that you're corner exit will be the opposing lane, you're setting yourself up for disaster,because sooner or later, a car will show up at the most inopportune time.  

Glad OP is alive, may you have a speedy recovery.  
  • Like 2

grahamfz07
Wow, im glad you survived that one. I hope you have a speedy recovery, i can only imagine the physical and mental stress that a crash like that may cause.

pantheraleo
It wasn't just speed alone, but a complete lack of lane discipline.  Every time you cross the imaginary yellow line, you're training your mind to think it's okay.  It's absolutely not okay ever to cross into the opposing lane, even if there is no traffic.  When you take lines with the expectation that you're corner exit will be the opposing lane, you're setting yourself up for disaster,because sooner or later, a car will show up at the most inopportune time.   
Glad OP is alive, may you have a speedy recovery.  
I actually thought it was a one-way road when I was watching it, until the truck showed up. I was thinking, "what a cool track they've set up for riding out there". The absence of lane markings makes it tough to stay in your 'lane'. Maybe I would have identified that potential issue, but maybe not. It looks to be a tricky stretch of road, and we all have lapses in focus and prudence, yes?

My only point is this: I have entered turns well over posted speeds many times.

It took excess speed AND (I believe) target fixation OR use of the front brake straightening the bike up. It looks like the bike was fighting the turn, so I wonder if the rider was on the front brake hard while he was trying to turn.

His memory loss likely means we may never know for sure.
  • Like 1

nlsquare
holy heck... you didn't crashed your bike... you nearly died! Glad to see you're still with us man.

PearlWhiteFZ
The bike can be replaced and bones can heal, so that being said thank GOD!!!! You made it out alive. I can just imgaine how scare your friend was.....as I got goosebumps hoping to hear you were talking to the first responders. Speedy recovery and stay safe.

Lucius
I've watched more than my share of crash videos, but I have never been so shocked. I am happy you are alive. Glad you had people with you that were so quick to help out. Take it easy out there and stay safe.
  • Like 1

bmwpowere36m3
Wow.... Glad the OP is doing okay and hopefully his experience can be a learning experience.

When he gets on the road from the pull-off there's a sign indicating two-way traffic. There doesn't have to be a painted line.... Many backroads around me are not marked with lines and even less have any sign indicating its a two-way. I always operate under the assumption a road is two-way, unless there's a sign indicating its one (pretty rare).

Mistake wasn't really speed, though it contributed. It was crossing the imagery "line". Had he stayed in his lane, he would have avoided the truck and very likely made the turn at his speed. Target fixation played a factor too, but it's something that's hard to NOT do for a lot of riders/drivers in panic situations. Riders should focus on variables more easily controlled: keeping alert, keeping eyes forward and looking way down the road, speed, lane control, emergency braking and emergency swerving.

Instinctively we fix on a target, steer toward it (because we go where we look) and brake. Many times it's much better to stay on the gas and swerve around a "problem". Now if the truck happened to be in his "lane", around a "blind" corner, that's a different story.
  • Like 2