Sign in to follow this  
Cruizin

Leather work boots are not enough. Don't believe me?

Cruizin
Ask this guy from Boise who went down today.
He can't walk for two months and will surely lose his Job.

280c774b7a0d074fff15bb699d9f534a.jpg
  • Like 1

grahamfz07
Wow, makes me wonder if my low cut icon boots are good enough

Cruizin
I go with well armored riding boots, even when hot out. Especially after my friend posted that.
  • Like 2

grahamfz07
Yeah, i think that pic just made up my mind, been sitting on the fence for a bit on picking up some sidis.

so1102
I go with well armored riding boots, even when hot out. Especially after my friend posted that.
Do you know what kind of boots he was actually wearing (presumably not something specific to motorcycles)?   
I don't wear "heavily" armored boots, but mine do have ankle protection in them (and I would not be able to ride in the Phoenix heat at all if I could not wear gear with plenty of venting -- I sweat like a hooker in church as it is already). 

I wear these (firstgear mesh lo) -- went with the lo cut boots, which fit like hightops, because I have 19" calves and it is hard to find a tall boot that will fit around them:
 firstgear_mesh_lo_boots_detail.jpg
  • Like 1

yamahaha
What does the rest of him look like? You gonna have some serious marks elsewhere if you burn through a decent pair of work boots. I would like to see a pic of his boots.

Cruizin
What does the rest of him look like? You gonna have some serious marks elsewhere if you burn through a decent pair of work boots. I would like to see a pic of his boots.

He is in the hospital, haven't seen him yet. He was wearing Wolverines, which are tougher than alot of these new "Summer" riding shoes that are getting popular now days.

Burtacus
I hate to admit my lack of intelligence, but I really can't tell exactly what that is a photo of. Doesn't look remotely close to a foot. Got any details?

yamahaha

He was wearing Wolverines
That's what I wear sometimes. Dam. 

That is one ugly injury.

I wish that fellow a speedy recovery.

Cruizin
I hate to admit my lack of intelligence, but I really can't tell exactly what that is a photo of. Doesn't look remotely close to a foot. Got any details?

It is a broken foot and ankle just after the first round of surgery. this photo reminds me that sweaty feet are better than this and heavily armored riding boots are worn by racers for a reason.

NICKY NEON
I wish you experience riders would post some kind of riding gear you would recommend for us new riders then just trying guessing.
im ordered a gmax 54 modual helmet, i also have a tourmaster jett 2 jacket and icon riding gloves. but now i need riding jeans can someone recommend a good pair of Kevlar jean, no baggy jeans. would also like to know if the knee and hip pads are necessary. im looking at sliders new jeans and finn moto?
now i guess my work boots aren't good, need help there to  

sorkyah
Damn, and here i was hoping my Bates gx8's would withstand a decent beating

wickedtwister
@nick I think the most important thing to do is look at the level of danger in your riding and pair that with the necessary armor to protect you in the case of going down. I personally commute in steel toe work boots and a mesh jacket and my helmet of course but I have a 3 mile ride, speed limit 35 or under, and it is uncommon for me to even see another car on the way to work. If I hit the twisties I'll step up to my leather jacket and armored riding pants I don't yet have a dedicated armored boot but after seeing posts like this and close calls from effing cagers who are too damn busy texting instead of driving I need to find one.

As far as my jackets are concerned I have the CE rated back protectors in everything I own. The ones that they come with stock are really just a space holder.

In my experience gear must fit well and be comfortable so you are more willing to wear it. I bought a nice leather jacket that fit great in the store off the bike but as soon as I jumped on the bike its just not comfortable. So I sold it and bought one that was. I wish they had bigger motorcycle gear stores here in the states. In Germany they have massive stores that are dedicated to everything motorcycle. One in particular is about the size of the biggest Harley dealership I have even seen but 3 freaking stories of gear and accessories. In all of these stores they have bikes to sit on to try and see how the gear fits in a riding position. Needless to say in a recent trip my girlfriend and I both came back with complete new riding gear. Luckily the euro exchange rate was awesome!

Cruizin
I'm working up a list of Good riding boots and will put it up, complete with links in a couple of days. In the meantime, you can also call revzilla, tell them your first concern is foot safety and their experts will ask you a couple of questions and make recommendations.