The MT-07 Forum

First real ride

roadrunner

My gear finally came in.. So first things first, ride around the neighborhood. I LOVE THIS BIKE!!!! So much torque!!! Handling is easy, its light. It's so much fun.

There a few thing that are a little annoying, but i think they can be easily fixed. First, seems I have reach halfway to Jupiter to pull the clutch in, and then release halfway to Saturn to engage. But I think this can be fixed with just rotating the bar/controls right?

The other thing is I do kinda wish the seating position was a little more leaning over the front end. But that might have to to with the handlebar position too. Plus I'm used to that style a little more. And this is o ly my first ride, so who knows.

Some things I gotta get used to include the instant torque. Still used to getting the rpms up before fully releasing the clutch, not necessary with this bike. Though I'm still a little hesitant to release it too fast. Gotta practice.

Thing not related to the bike: I'm wearing some icon knee armor, but it feels a little awkward, almost like its affecting me reaching the ground flat with my feet. Not sure if I just gotta get used to it or adjust the armor.

Also I'm wearing almost all hi-viz gear, and man what a difference!!! Could be a combo of the gear and this awesome looking bikez but I definitely see pretty much every body taking notice of me while I ride. I might look a little silly. But as long as I'm being looked at, the purpose is fulfilled lol. I'm gonna go home now. If you guys have any further tips, please help out.

And pictures!(once I get home)
IMG_20150616_193154_zps9tl7ektu.jpg~original
IMG_20150616_193216_zpspadbl7b6.jpg~original

Cool! Do you also have pics of your gear?
I was going to take a picture of myself but I couldn't find a good spot to place my phone. Here's some generic pictures: 
icon_sanctuary_jacket_zoom.jpg
FlyIlluminatorBackpack.JPG
icon_overlord_resistance_hi_viz_gloves_hi_viz_yellow_black_zoom.jpg
41BxpFl8DlL._SY355_.jpg

And I also have the icon knee armor. Still waiting on some fly boots/shoes and my other scorpion hi-viz helmet

Very nice. Which Icon jacket is that? I love the yellow/black combo and the high viz as well.

• Premium Member

Nice bike! Good color choice too ;) Welcome to the forums BTW.

As for the riding position, yeah this bike is really upright -- more of a standard than a sportbike. That can be changed with different handlebars and possibly different rearsets (to move the pegs further back and up), and most people end up putting on adjustable clutch and brake levers to get the clutch closer. As far as flatfooting it, I know I can't (I have a 30" inseam) -- it would be easier if the pegs weren't in the way, but it's not like I am falling over at stoplights so NBD.

Nice bike and gear!

I'm a little confused... You said it's your first bike, but you keep referring back to what you are used to? Are you coming from a dirt bike? Just trying to get a reference point as to what you mean when you say what you are used to.

Ditto on what s01102 said... Rotating the controls will certainly help get the levers into a more ergonomic position and be more comfortable for you, but it will not help much with the throw of the clutch lever. Like was mentioned, adjustable levers will help with that. You can also adjust the cable a bit, but that won't change the neutral position of the lever any.

As for riding position, yeah it's very upright. Again, like s01102 said, the bike is more of a standard than a sport bike. That said, there are some good options out there for new bars/clip-ons and rearsets to help customize the position.

Life is good on 2 wheels!

@zapps the jacket is icon sanctuary. It's pretty good even in hot weather, best when moving. I'm guessing it's pretty good in cold weather with the liner attached.

@so1102 is there any adjustable levers you recommend?

@aeisan its my first ride on this bike(not counting the demo test). I've had 2 street bikes before. Is there is any adjustable levers you recommend?

And thanks everyone for the tips!

• Premium Member
@zapps the jacket is icon sanctuary. It's pretty good even in hot weather, best when moving. I'm guessing it's pretty good in cold weather with the liner attached. 

@aeisan its my first ride on this bike(not counting the demo test). I've had 2 street bikes before. Is there is any adjustable levers you recommend?

Many options out there, just depends upon your budget.  Many people have gone with cheaper ones made in China from EBay, but I went with CRG levers (standard length) personally (I got mine direct from them).  I recommend searching for "levers" on the forum search page.

CRG roll-a-click all the way.  Old ones or new ones - both are great.  I've put CRG levers on all of my bikes and have never had a single regret.  I prefer shorties, but that's a personal preference.  Don't listen to the guys that say the full levers offer more leverage; while technically correct, CRG levers already have really good lever mechanisms and even the shorties are super easy to pull with only 2 fingers.  Heck, I often brake with just 1 finger in slow situations.   
For this bike I decided to not go with the RC2's because I didn't like the red adjuster switch on the black levers with the color scheme I'm going for, so I found some gen 1 roll-a-clicks that are all black.  I love them.  

• Premium Member

These are the exact ones I installed: http://www.crg-direct.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BLACK They are CRG RC Spectrum levers in black (with the red clicker). Obviously older tech but still very good, and only $74 ea

(The FZ-07 isn't listed as far as fitment but I went with the FZ1 '06-'12 and they were a perfect match).

NOTE: if you choose to go with these (or any aftermarket levers) make sure you don't forget to transfer the little internal bushing from the old clutch lever, as most aftermarket levers do not include that part.

NOTE: if you choose to go with these (or any aftermarket levers) make sure you don't forget to transfer the little internal bushing from the old clutch lever, as most aftermarket levers do not include that part.
I've seen a few folks on here forget that, happens all the time.  Good tip! 

@nicky neon its making a big difference! I just wish there was a more streamlined jacket with leather and the hi-viz color. This jacket is kinda poofy and sucks in windy or high speed riding. Even worse with this riding position. But outside that it's great.

These are the shoes I got:
fly_racing_m21_riding_shoes_zoom.jpg

Glad you are liking the bike! Before you go switching out handlebars, cruise around with the upright setup for a bit. You may like the way that it is far less stressful on your back and neck, and the superior visibility not only for you but also of you when riding.

Archived