Sign in to follow this  
ornery

How's Your Posture?

ornery
One of the reasons I opted for the FZ-07 was the upright riding position. I now find myself riding 90% of the time with my left hand in my lap and... slouching! When I catch myself slouching, I straighten up for about a minute, then unconsciously begin to slouch again.  Terrible habit! I don't think I'll be able to break it.  I slouch at my desk at work, too. 
The way I ride makes me think I ought to just move on to a cruiser.  I do appreciate the nimbleness of this "standard" bike, and if I'm seated correctly, there's no doubt I'd be better prepared for, and able to execute an evasive maneuver.  But, I rarely sit right, so why fight it?
I wonder if I can bring the bars a little closer, and if that would even help my situation?
  • Like 1

yamahappy74
Stop riding one handed. I mean, for posture reasons. I do the same thing and notice that I slouch as well, but honestly, I bought a naked over a rocket because I don't think my back and wrists can handle that aggressive posture for long periods anymore. Saying that made me feel really old...

n2shotokai
Ditto, looking for some bar risers that will bring the bars closer to me. Rode about 400 miles last weekend and by the end I sitting sideways, one hand on the bars to get my back straight up and down.

hobbs
I keep a slight arch in my lower back. If I keep my spine totally straight I find the ride to be pretty jarring and fatigue sets on quick. A slight arch absorbs a lot of the impact, but I do kind of wish the bars were higher and more towards me. I think things would start to look weird then though.
  • Like 1

magsz18
More core strength.

A forward lean is different than a slouch. A slouch generally means you arent engaging your core muscles to hold your torso upright.

A sport bike is more accommodating of a slouch than an upright bike.

I find myself slouching too unless i consciously engage my core.

ornery
Has anyone tried the Rox risers?Rox 2" riser
I may be the first. That price seems reasonable, thanks! 

yamahaha
I'm terrible for slouching. My posture has been bad for years and a neck injury did not help. The key is exercise and stretching. I'm slowly straightening out. Poor posture catches up with you when you age so beware.
  • Like 1

connellyt
There several ways to raise the handlebars, but most require you to re- position the instrument panel.  I have for sale a set of risers that accept the instrument panel and the bars will be raised about 1 inch.  Drop me a line at connellyt@sisqtel.neet

connellyt
that should read connellyt@sisqtel.net  Also for sale PUIG tinted wind screen.

kamalv
Back protector. Getting a decent back protector will stiffen up your whole spinal column, so that your posture might be okay even while not engaging core muscles as you should lol. While I do a bit of forward lean, not sure if I was really slouching before. But my rides are only an hour. Also, I stretch in the mornings specifically to limber out the back.

so1102
I just slide forward in the seat and grip the tank with my legs and that allows me to sit more upright, straighten my back, and really loosens my hands up too. (Tecspec grip pads FTW)
  • Like 2

n2shotokai
Has anyone tried the Rox risers?Rox 2" riser
I may be the first. That price seems reasonable, thanks!
I am wondering if the cables are long enough? 

ornery
[em]I am wondering if the cables are long enough?[/em][em]
[/em]Yeah, me too, and now connellyt brings up re-positioning the instrument panel.  It just can't be easy, can it?
I'll unbolt it and see how much slack is in the cables.  The instrument panel is another matter... Sheesh.

n2shotokai
[em]I am wondering if the cables are long enough?[/em][em] [/em]Yeah, me too, and now connellyt brings up re-positioning the instrument panel.  It just can't be easy, can it?
I'll unbolt it and see how much slack is in the cables.  The instrument panel is another matter... Sheesh.

There are the extenders for the panel, but I was thinking of just making something simple.