The MT-07 Forum

Stubborn baffle removal

fooschnickens

fooschnickens

I'm going to be getting the bike tuned soon so I wanted to pull the baffles out of my Ixil beforehand in preparation because I wagered they would be a bit sticky. Boy was I right. I tried several things with what I had available to me: penetrant around the edge of the baffle, riding around a bit to warm things up, tapping the baffle further IN to dislodge it (still wouldn't budge) and trying to pull it out with some channel locks. I guess Ixil made their tolerances just a bit too tight in regards to the ID of the muffler exit and the OD of the baffle.

I've found one other method that may work that involves fishing some paracord with nuts down into the baffle and then pulling it out by jamming the nuts in the far end and tugging on the cord. Barring that I may take a piece of scrap flat metal stock and cut a notch in it to hook the far end and pull it out that way.

Anyone have any other methods for popping these things out? I'll have the muffler off the bike while doing this, don't want to damage an exhaust hangar or, at worst, the head.

I used pliers. One came out pretty easy. The other one took like 20 minutes. Wiggle and pull at the same time. It sounds amazing with the out. Worth it but man what a pain.

captainbeard714

A little WD-40 and a big pair of channel locks wrapped in a bunch of electrical tape did the trick for me.

Jeeze... Mine fall right out, lol. You have removed the set screws holding them in right? /ducks.

fooschnickens
Jeeze... Mine fall right out, lol. You have removed the set screws holding them in right? /ducks.
You're lucky I have nothing nearby to throw! That was the first thing I did. I actually rode around for 50 miles with the screws out and the baffles didn't so much as budge a fraction of a millimeter. I stopped several times and tried to wiggle them out with my pliers but they held fast. I have the muffler propped up in the garage to let the oil really get down in there. I set it up last night and oiled it again this morning. After dinner I'm going to take another crack at it. 

You're lucky I have nothing nearby to throw! That was the first thing I did. I actually rode around for 50 miles with the screws out and the baffles didn't so much as budge a fraction of a millimeter. I stopped several times and tried to wiggle them out with my pliers but they held fast. I have the muffler propped up in the garage to let the oil really get down in there. I set it up last night and oiled it again this morning. After dinner I'm going to take another crack at it.
LOL! 
Yeah i know, total dick move on my part but i had to ask!

I would probably suggest instead of a penetrating oil you use something that has a carbon cutting component to it, like brake cleaner but i have concerns about what that may do to the exhaust packing.  Anyone have any insight into this?

fooschnickens

I had considered that as well and tried some throttle body cleaner first to try and break up any deposits in there. I also tried some Hoppes [HASH]9 before moving to actual penetrating oil.

I tried again to pop them out a few minutes ago and I noted that the either the baffles or the inside of the muffler exits are slightly out of round. There's one section where the baffle does sit flush with the wall of the muffler. I was able to actually give them a tap and push one a bit further in, so they at least aren't completely frozen in place. I'm going to have to come up with some method to extract them with the same amount of force. My channel locks slip off the metal so I'm going to have to make some kind of hook to snatch them out. I have a couple paint can openers that I may be able to sacrifice to fashion something useable.

fooschnickens
Slide hammer?
I've been trying to rig up my own, but I may just have to break down and get one which is a dangerous proposition. I rarely leave harbor freight with only the thing I intended to purchase...

or maybe this is the Universe' way of telling you to leave well enough alone. ;-)

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

have you tried freeze-off? its a penetrating lubricant that's also really cold.

Maybe if you take it for a spin to get it warmed up, and then hit those baffles with the freeze-off it might work.

Mine came out like butter, didn't need to use anything.

Archived