The MT-07 Forum

Roll Call, who else here rides dirtbikes?

Cruizin

Sound off. Who else rides dirt bikes? Motocross? Dual sport? Trails? Harescramble races?

I'm thinking about starting a Dirtbike forum, I know there are already alot of dirtbike forums but, I'm think about starting a dirtbike forum for us, the members of this and my other forums.

Anyone else like to rip, wheelie, jump in the dirt?

• Premium Member

I ride a wr250f for mx and trails...I'm just a weekend rider with decent C class skills...I don't ride a dirt bike to jump 100' like everyone thinks a dirt biker does...I ride for fun and the rush only a dirt bike can offer when it comes to cornering...next year I plan to enter a few races in the 30+ class...Gotta love how they let the old farts get first crack on a freshly groomed tracked compared to running in 250 C class later in the day when the track is pounded down...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Thats the thing, the guys I know who raced motocross at an A or B level, or who jumped like wildman, they mostly all sold their bikes and quit riding by age 30. But the trailriders? I know guys in their 70's who are still riding trails.

A few log hops still count as a jump though, right?

I wanna build a scrambler for a winter project. But work and where I will be living in up in the air at the moment.

However, I would probably just find an established forum for that.

The forums you have started have the benefit of catering to brand new models.

I have 08' Husqvarna 450, the thing is stupid fast offroad. It's been quite reliable so far with 300 hours, but a lot of bike when it gets really tight.
Suspension has been reworked twice, once locally which was a bad mistake. Once by Works Enduro Rider. The WER suspension is great, coupled with a scotts steering damper, fast flowing trails the bike works phenomenal.
I've really been toying with the idea of selling the husky, and the FZ. Replacing them with a 2 stoke 300, and big dual sport bike like a ktm 690 or 950se.

I'm definitely switching back to 2 stroke. I'm selling my CRF-450R, just pulled and sold the Rekluse from it. While I am looking hard at the Beta 300RR, I hate the local Beta dealer here, who is basically an auto dealer who bought an beta dealership and is ruining it.

So, I'm kind of looking at the Beta 300 XCW.

Also, the new Yamaha YZ-250FX has my attention. But has no headlight or estart, and estart comes in handy on some of the steep trails that I ride on and headlights get ya back to the truck when the sun goes down.

@kwaipuak Ouch! GuOyWyY.gif I guess I'm lucky you even visit this forum. Note, there are two other FZ-07 Forums out there who even launched before I launched this forum, and we are much larger and more popular than those other forums for some reason..

Thanks for your input though. ;)

I'm definitely switching back to 2 stroke. I'm selling my CRF-450R, just pulled and sold the Rekluse from it. While I am looking hard at the Beta 300RR, I hate the local Beta dealer here, who is basically an auto dealer who bought an beta dealership and is ruining it.  
So, I'm kind of looking at the Beta 300 XCW.

Also, the new Yamaha YZ-250FX has my attention. But has no headlight or estart, and estart comes in handy on some of the steep trails that I ride on and headlights get ya back to the truck when the sun goes down.

@kwaipuak Ouch! GuOyWyY.gif I guess I'm lucky you even visit this forum. Note, there are two other FZ-07 Forums out there who even launched before I launched this forum, and we are much larger and more popular than those other forums for some reason..

Thanks for your input though. ;)
I know right, and I even post without you giving me free premium access, as someone like me deserves! :D

Cruzin, the YZ250FX does, indeed, have electric start.
The soon-to-be-released 2-stroke YZ250X is the one with kickstart-only.
If the lack of lights on the YZ250FX stops you, just get the 2015 WR250F and derestrict it, something that is, so I have read, even easier than with the older carbureted versions (I owned a 2009 model in the past and still ride a 2002 model).Once uncorked, it rips like a YZ.

I have ridden dirt bikes, and still do, for 34 years, now.
I've had tons of them over the years, mostly Yamahas (like 98% of them), and had fun on them all.They were as small as a 1983 YZ60K to as large as a 1983 TT600K Thumper, a bunch of full-size YZs (100, 125, 250, 490), many dual-purpose bikes (including a cool Canadian market 1990 DT200RA), several ITs (an IT175H and IT175J (my favorite), an IT200N, an IT250K, and an IT465J).
These days, I ride a 2002 WR250F that's street registered so I can legally ride my local state forest trail loop, a place I've ridden a million times.
I also have a 2013 TT-R125L for the woods around my residence.

Depends on the trail and the rider.

I trail rode my YZs many times over the years.
For trails you can keep some kind of reasonable speed up, I think it would be a blast.
For trails that are some kind of superhero torture run that make you slow down, not so much.

Up here, we ride some really scary trails and the KTM 300 XCW, Beta 300 and 250 RR and even the Gas gas 300, all two strokes rule those trails. I have ridden em on 4 strokes but it really wears you out fast because you are constantly picking your bike up and and alot of the switchbacks u have to wheelie your front up and pivot it over to get over to the next section, all the while trying not to fall off the damn cliff or get into a death slide, lol. But, the places we get to are amazingly beautiful and some of those remote alpine lakes are just full of fish cause nobody else makes it up there.

With the KTM and Betea and Gas Gas two stokes doing so well it intrigues me to see how a YZ-250 with heavier fly wheel weight might do and if they could provide the awesome low end grunt that the KTM provides.

• Premium Member

The trails in Michigan where we ride are not " single track" they are wide enough to squeeze a quad thru but them side x sides really annoy ppl on the trails that are made for quads and bikes..the side x sides belong on the truck trails...I never understood why someone would plunk down 25k for a cage??? The riding community kinda cleans the fallen tree limbs off the trails and that helps keeps the trails safe around here...I would love a 450 only if It's a carb...the fuel injected 450 are too much for me...I love the play in the throttle movement of a carb bike dirt bike because it's more forgiving and gives you a split sec more to correct something like body position before the power really kicks in...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

I got my start on dirt bikes my friend who has a KTM EXC 300 wants me to get a dirt bike will be getting a YZ250 as soon as i can

I recently bought dirt wheels/tires for my DR-Z400SM. Looking forward to learning how to play in the dirt!

fooschnickens

Used to. After learning to ride on a friends streetbike in college, dirtbikes became a big thing I would do in my free time. I've thought about getting one of my own, but I may be moving soon, so I don't wanna have too much baggage to carry around. I rode a new WR250 a month or so ago, was super fun and reminded me why I loved those things so much. Once I get settled I may look into getting a WR or XT as a fun bike.

I recently bought dirt wheels/tires for my DR-Z400SM. Looking forward to learning how to play in the dirt!

I spent a long time riding DRZ's off road. Do yourself a favor and get a set of these or you will dump all your oil on a trail and push your bike for miles. Seen it happen so many times!

CFC OFFROAD ENGINE ARMOR DRZ400 / KLX400 Case guards All Years

2015 ktm 500 xcw street legal, the best/most fun bike I have ever owned! The bike is an absolute beast and I love TRYING to control it! but usually it controls me! and even though it often loves to toss me off or run me into the bushes I still love it lol.
8krndx3.jpg
A little supermoto too
Fxh7OX8.jpg

2015 fz-07 akrapovic exhaust
2015 ktm 500 xc-w dirt/supermoto tire and wheels

In a few months I should have my FZ paid off. At that point I'm going to start shopping for a gently used WR250R (most likely, though I'm considering other dualsport type options as well...)

I got to ride a dirt bike long before my first street bike ride and it definitely is the reason I caught the motorcycle bug to begin with. It seems only natural to have one of my own, eventually.

• Premium Member

Don't have one, never have -- but I do want one. Perhaps next year I will pick up a dual sport so I don't have to also get a trailer that I have no place to store.

I don't have a dirt bike now, I learned to ride on them and I've had a few in the past but all street/trail bikes like the Yamaha DT 100, Honda XL 500, and a Yamaha XT 350. If I can find some nice trails around here I may get a full on dirt bike. I wouldn't need anything with a lot of power or to be crazy fast, just something that handles decent, can wheelie, handle small jumps, log hopping and sweeeet power slides. Something that's good for trail riding. Maybe an older YZ 125 for cheap. I think it's a good idea, Cruizin, if it promotes new riders to learn to ride off road then I'm 100% for it. I cringe when I see 1st time riders on the street wobbling around and looking awkward in almost everything they do. 

"A few log hops still count as a jump though, right?" - lol! Yes, they do! Us old dogs need to be thrown a bone once in awhile.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I wish ppl would learn how to ride 2 wheels via dirt bikes before they even hit the black top with 2 wheels...i think dirt bikes teach you so much stuff that it makes the rider a better rider when it comes to riding on the black top...

Don't have one, never have -- but I do want one. Perhaps next year I will pick up a dual sport so I don't have to also get a trailer that I have no place to store.
I've owned dual sports for the same reason but something to consider is this, they generally don't handle in the dirt as well as a full off road bike. It's not to say they aren't fun and that's what it's about so get one, you'll love it. Sometimes I wish I had a nice trials bike just for putting around on trails with logs, rocks, streams. 

Beemer

Archived