The MT-07 Forum

Post your 600 mile service COST

DFDFF

I'm having the 600 mile service done today at a dealer and want to know what it's costing everyone. Thanks

riotcontrol

I was quoted $167 or something like that. Ended up doing the oil change and chain adjustment myself (kept receipts) and have to do the throttle body adjustment this weekend.

Indianapolis, IN

• Premium Member
I was quoted $167 or something like that. Ended up doing the oil change and chain adjustment myself (kept receipts) and have to do the throttle body adjustment this weekend. 
Indianapolis, IN
Same here, I will do the TB when I hit 2k probably

Guest Ralph

Here in the UK the service is free but you have to pay for the oil n filter,
about $32 all in but 6000 miler coming up soon bet they know how to charge
for that.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

Mine was right under $100, I did the oil change myself.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

I paid $18 for a gallon of Yamalube, the cost of a new filter (forget what that was but cheap). I will buy a washable K&N next oil change. Just way cheaper and easier to do it all yourself, it's not hard to do, take your time and you'll be ok. Hit a snag, you'll get help here. Tip: When adjusting the chain just do it in small increments and check it each time you make an adjustment. When you put oil in it don't rush that either. When you get the level between the two marks in the window (preferably closer to the top mark) you'll be ok.

Beemer

pantheraleo

150 bucks, 200 minus 50 because I got some coupon from Yamaha when I bought the bike. Last money of mine the dealer will ever see...I just wanted to document the first service. I know it is not mandatory to do so.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

$30 for oil, $10 or $12 for the K&N oil filter and that's it since I did the oil change and chain adjustment myself. Still need to do the TB though.

$130 for throttle body synchronization and general checkover/ chain adjustment.

I do my own own oil changes

Less than $20.00 for Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic and less than $10.00 for a HiFlo-Filtro Oil Filter HF 303. Also did the chain myself. No hurry to do the throttle bodies. What am I missing if it's a bit out of synch? Mileage? Power? Not a big concern. If there's more to worry about, let me know and I'll get to it.

In the meantime, could someone tell me what the thinking is behind having an oil plug on there with no gasket? Something to do with vibration concerns? I added a magnetic one and a seal. Tightened it as much as I dare. Don't want to strip the damn thing! I could put lock-tite on next time around, if that's a good idea, but I would think the temperature would render that useless.

“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

bmwpowere36m3
Less than $20.00 for Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic and less than $10.00 for a HiFlo-Filtro Oil Filter HF 303. Also did the chain myself. No hurry to do the throttle bodies. What am I missing if it's a bit out of synch? Mileage? Power? Not a big concern. If there's more to worry about, let me know and I'll get to it. 
In the meantime, could someone tell me what the thinking is behind having an oil plug on there with no gasket? Something to do with vibration concerns? I added a magnetic one and a seal. Tightened it as much as I dare. Don't want to strip the damn thing! I could put lock-tite on next time around, if that's a good idea, but I would think the temperature would render that useless.

Oil drain bolt? It uses a crush washer under the head to do the sealing. The factory one is steel, like a spark plug crush washer... but you can use any M14 copper or aluminum flat sealing washer.

Remember, for the most part they are a one-time use kind of thing.

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Serviced at Yamaha dealer for $238, this covered oil change, TB sync, clean-lubricate-adjust chain, check bike out based on 600 mile service specs.

Oil drain bolt? It uses a crush washer under the head to do the sealing. The factory one is steel, like a spark plug crush washer... but you can use any M14 copper or aluminum flat sealing washer.

Hmmm, I'll check when I get home, but I'd swear there was no washer, seal or gasket of any kind on there.  I used the gasket that came with my magnetic oil drain plug.  Is that shaky? 

— Robert M. Pirsig (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values)

thomascrown

I'd do the throttle body alignment as it's likely not correct from the factory. After that, you can do tiny adjustments once in a blue moon. After accumulating the miles, and doing my own maintenance, my sweet spot is doing a tb sync every spark plug change.  My very first tb sync required a fairly large adjustment.  Every subsequent tb sync has needed very tiny corrections.  Most people will think that you can do more than 8k on the sparkplugs, but that's probably not a great idea. The bike runs lean, and puts some heat to the electrode, and the plug specified by yamaha is gapped at max tolerance out of box. I'd stick to every 8k on the plugs.

bmwpowere36m3
Hmmm, I'll check when I get home, but I'd swear there was no washer, seal or gasket of any kind on there.  I used the gasket that came with my magnetic oil drain plug.  Is that shaky?
Sometimes it sticks to the oil pan and doesn't come off with the drain bolt. Trust me, it was there... Otherwise you'd have had a leak. 
drainplugwasher.jpg

Almost embarrassed to say, but I paid $300. Would have been fine doing the oil change myself but the chain tension and evaluating valve condition had me a little nervous. Not to mention had to take the bike in for the battery cable recall anyway, so I bit the bullet and had them perform the whole service.

I will certainly be buying the gear/tools ahead of time to be performing all future oil change and basic service tasks. Dealership is such a ripoff.

Sometimes it sticks to the oil pan and doesn't come off with the drain bolt. Trust me, it was there... Otherwise you'd have had a leak.
I figured it must have fallen off in the waste oil or ground somewhere, but when I checked the bolt, sure enough it was there.  I'll just leave it as is till fall, then use a crush washer at that oil change.  It will be a first for me.  Been changing oil in my cars for over 40 years and never used one. 
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the picture!

bmwpowere36m3
I figured it must have fallen off in the waste oil or ground somewhere, but when I checked the bolt, sure enough it was there.  I'll just leave it as is till fall, then use a crush washer at that oil change.  It will be a first for me.  Been changing oil in my cars for over 40 years and never used one. 
Thanks for taking the trouble to post the picture!

Most of my wrenching experience comes from Mercedes, BMW, VW, etc.... so those crush washers are used everywhere. I know some domestic and Japanese cars use a rubber/metal or plastic sealing washer instead.

• 8 months later...
Serviced at Yamaha dealer for $238, this covered oil change, TB sync, clean-lubricate-adjust chain, check bike out based on 600 mile service specs.
OUCH ! did you get that done at a big city dealership here in Texas? While they don't ask for an arm or a leg (that would make it difficult for you to come back), TX dealers will use a fiream if needs be to get the rider to pay up. Plus the rider should always check his Moto's drain plug and oil filter to see if they are leaking after a service from the dealership.  That's the kindof crap the dealerships get away with down here. I blame that on the fact of more-money-than-sense by too many riders these days.... 

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker
OUCH ! did you get that done at a big city dealership here in Texas? While they don't ask for an arm or a leg (that would make it difficult for you to come back), TX dealers will use a fiream if needs be to get the rider to pay up. Plus the rider should always check his Moto's drain plug and oil filter to see if they are leaking after a service from the dealership.  That's the kindof crap the dealerships get away with down here. I blame that on the fact of more-money-than-sense by too many riders these days.... 

Judging by your last sentence, did somebody get up on the wrong side of their cage today. May I suggest you wear your riding gloves while walking to protect your knuckles when touching the ground. This will cause you less pain when typing. 

Archived