The MT-07 Forum

New member switching from R6

ducttapewd40

ducttapewd40

So I haven't actually bought an FZ-07 yet, but I've pretty much made up my mind I'm going to trade in my R6 for one. I've been riding supersports for 11 years and it's getting rough on a bad back and a 6 year old wrist injury. I test drove one and loved it. It seems like it will be much better suited to my usual drive across town to work and an occasional long highway trip. Looking forward to hearing what people who've owned one for a while think.

I used to ride a ninja 300, which has a less aggressive rider position then compared to the R6. The fz-07 is way more comfortable and better balanced, "flickable"

'15 FZ-09 Cadmium Yellow
'15 White Fz-07 - Sold

ducttapewd40

I got the idea to switch after driving my fiance's fz6r a few times. I like the riding position, but her bike is way too tame. I started searching for something along the same line but more nimble and powerful and ended up with the fz07.

I love the look of supersports  but just sitting on one at the dealership is uncomfortable for my back. I love that the FZ feels so light and pulls hard in every gear. When I first got it, I wanted a windscreen. I don't have one yet and usually it's okay till you get to about 70. Then it gets tiring if you're going to be on the highway for a while. The seat starts to hurt after an hour or so. Despite this, I took a 7 hour ride today with a lot of highway. I'm kind of sore but I loved it. On twisty country roads the bike shines.

• Premium Member

@Jetgirl. I have a barely used PUIG dark smoke 40cm touring screen if you want to get it off me. $80 shipped. I'm 6' 1" and it causes too much helmet buffeting for me. I prefer to ride without it and have since taken it off. Let me know. Here is a link to my gallery with the screen on.

http://fz07.org/thread/2389/fz07fanboys-gallery?page=1&scrollTo=33648

Compared to a YZF-R6, the FZ-07 makes much more sense on the street.
The FZ-07 power delivery starts from the bottom and pulls strongly into the midrange.
When the FZ-07 power starts to taper off, that's when the YZF-R6 power starts to wake up.
Having the engine spinning @9,000-plus RPM to get into the powerband is just fine and dandy...until you get over it and want something more useable for where you are riding the bike.

And then, there's the dirt-bike-like (natural and giving good control on the street) ergonomics, combined with the small size and light weight.
The great sound and tone the engine makes seals the deal, especially with an aftermarket exhaust fitted.

Myself, I wouldn't want an R6 for free in exchange for my FZ-07.

• Premium Member

You can keep them both that is the other option. I purchased the FZ first and bought the thunderbolt for 2,500 after and I'm glad I have 2 I'd like a few more lol.

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

@jetgirl. I have a barely used PUIG dark smoke 40cm touring screen if you want to get it off me. $80 shipped. I'm 6' 1" and it causes too much helmet buffeting for me. I prefer to ride without it and have since taken it off. Let me know. Here is a link to my gallery with the screen on. 
http://fz07.org/thread/2389/fz07fanboys-gallery?page=1&scrollTo=33648
Thanks fz07fanboy. I appreciate the offer but I'm going to hold off for a while on the windscreen. I'm also leaning towards the Givi but haven't decided yet. 

The 07 is a sweet transition from a sport bike. The lack of pain and discomfort after a couple hours in the saddle is sooooo nice.

Sure, you don't get the hair raising acceleration or handling of a sport bike but most of us never get competent enough to ride sports to even near their full potential. The 07 is a bike you can ride hard and have fun doing it.
Don't get me wrong, the 07 is no slouch.

To me, sport bikes always seemed light on the rear and I never had full confidence in the twisties whereas the 07 does not give me that feeling and twisties are much more fun.

• 6 months later...

Hey it's been a while. I haven't been on here in a long time due to some lost password sign in issues.

Anyway, I ended up going through with it and trading in the R6 for a new FZ-07. I think I put a good 300 miles on it the first day and started enjoying pain free riding again. I'm looking forward to this riding season and putting a bunch of miles in more than I have in years.

For now it's sitting in a cold garage for the winter and I'm planning my upgrades to finish by spring. I've got my shorty levers on already, a windscreen ordered, and planning on led turn signals, fender eliminator, a USB charging port, R6 throttle tube, exhaust system, and sending the rearsets and nearby silvery bits off to be powder coated black.

Welcome to the party. I had two r6's a year ago, and then sold one to get the fz07. Now I'm thinking about selling the other one too, as it had been sitting for 6 months and I doubt that it will get much usage anytime soon.. It's amazing how capable this little budge bike is.

• 1 month later...

I've had a bad back since I was 14. Fz07 smooth and no pain whatsoever, longest ride I've been on was about 8 hours, all smooth

A set on Renthal ultra lows will drop your body a bit without putting too much more load on your wrists. The only thing is for some people the pegs then end up a bit too far forward.
That screen looks really good. Which one is it. Does it actually un-windload you at highway speeds? I have one I make myself, but keep getting asked by other people about available screens that work.

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

AlbatrossCafe
  Having trouble figuring out how to post pictures...
http://i.imgur.com/Lzn3Adf.jpg

Go to imgur, find the picture, and find the link under "direct link". It should end in .jpg. You can copy & paste the link directly which will give a thumbnail like above or use the "insert image" feature of this forum (uses the image's full resolution which is usually way too big).

That being said, I like the black kickplate/side cover. Did you remove your passenger footpeg but leave the mounts for them on...? lol

Having trouble figuring out how to post pictures...
http://i.imgur.com/Lzn3Adf.jpg 
Go to imgur, find the picture, and find the link under "direct link". It should end in .jpg. You can copy & paste the link directly which will give a thumbnail like above or use the "insert image" feature of this forum (uses the image's full resolution which is usually way too big).

That being said, I like the black kickplate/side cover. Did you remove your passenger footpeg but leave the mounts for them on...? lol

Thanks for the assist.  I'll see if I can get it right next time. I ordered an M4 exhaust today so I'll try again once I get that on 
Now that you mention the passenger pegs.... I removed them and painted them also, but it looks like I forgot to put them back on.  They must still be in the basement lol.  I should probably get them back on there too.

• 2 weeks later...
cookfreeordie89

Welcome! I had a gsxr600 before the Fz-07 and the ride is much better. even with proper posture and leg grip, gsxr's aren't the best for long trips and feel so heavy compared to the fz

Archived