The MT-07 Forum

Shorty levers vs. OEM for beginners

pH

• Premium Member

+1 for the Pazzo Levers.

I have ASV levers on my other bike, though they allow more concise adjustments, their customer service is what led me to go Pazzo for this bike. Oh, and I purchased "red" ones from them. They were more magenta and have faded quite considerably within it's first year.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

That guy sorta described what happened incorrectly. He said those aftermarket levers held the brakes on ever so slightly. You don't have to have the brakes activated even slightly to cause this.  
What he meant to say was that with the lever out, the piston inside the master was pushed in far enough to close off the return of fluid from the lines.

And yeah, this can cause serious problems when the fliud gets heated up and starts to expand.

To know this won't happen, just giving the wheel a spin is not enough as it'll only happen after the brakes get good and heated. So what you must do to be sure, is remove the lid to the master and look down inside to where the piston pushes into the cylinder. If you squeeze gently, you should see some fluid flow out of the hole. If you can't see the hole in front of the piston or there's no little wave of fluid in the reservoir, you might be in trouble on a hot day after some hard braking.

I don't think the brakes will instantly lock up. You should feel them drag noticeably at 1st. But it will get worse and they will stop you cold w/o you touching the lever until they cool back down.

So yeah, by all means, check this if you swap out the levers for non-OE, even if they are expensive. .

BTW, a hydraulic clutch will suffer the same issue with a generic lever that's not exactly right - only this situation will cause the clutch to slip as the motor gets hot - end result is the same - you park and wait.
This happened to me with the ebay levers I purchased.  Brakes would stiffen up a few miles into riding.  Switch back to the stock lever and everything was good again.
I've seen ruined rear calipers when guys adjusted the brake lever down by turning out the stop bolt. Same effect, just less brake force cause it's on the back and then things get way too hot.  
The other way to test is to pull a caliper and push the pads apart with a something that can reach in between and pry. If the pads can be pried apart and the fluid rises in the master, all's well. If the pads won't budge, time to find another lever or modify the new one somehow.

Sometimes some material can be removed from the lever to allow it to swing open a bit further. Won't take much.  

Was thinking about removing some material, just didn't have the tools to try it out so I threw the stocker back on.

• 2 weeks later...
shaneallen23

Wanted to gather some thoughts on this. I'm going to switch out my levers soon (likely for CRG's) but I can't decide whether I want to go shorty's or full length. Here's the dilemma: I started using just 2 fingers on the clutch recently and leaving the other 2 on the bar which effectively act as a stop so I don't do any unnecessary pulling. I really like the shortened throw hence why I wan't the adjustable levers.

The indecision comes from my belief that I can shift faster and more controlled using all 4 fingers, which would lend itself to getting standard length and using a setting close to the grip. On the other hand I've gotten pretty controlled shifting with 2 fingers, and if I could get my speed up that would allow me to leave 2 fingers on the bars at all times, therefor shorty's set close to the grips might be the better option.

Anyone else deal with the same kind of thing?

• Premium Member
Wanted to gather some thoughts on this. I'm going to switch out my levers soon (likely for CRG's) but I can't decide whether I want to go shorty's or full length. Here's the dilemma: I started using just 2 fingers on the clutch recently and leaving the other 2 on the bar which effectively act as a stop so I don't do any unnecessary pulling. I really like the shortened throw hence why I wan't the adjustable levers. 
The indecision comes from my belief that I can shift faster and more controlled using all 4 fingers, which would lend itself to getting standard length and using a setting close to the grip. On the other hand I've gotten pretty controlled shifting with 2 fingers, and if I could get my speed up that would allow me to leave 2 fingers on the bars at all times, therefor shorty's set close to the grips might be the better option.

Not dealing with the similar issue, but I've gone to shorties primarily because I do have small hands and shorties lend more towards clearing any drops in the likelihood that it does happen. Unless you're willing to get foldable levers as well. I can also use all 4 fingers on the shortys if I wanted... in the end it's just a preference. 

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

Guest Ralph

Shorty or after market levers look good and allow riders to better adjust the
position to their own preference, only down side I can see as long as they are built
strong enough so they don't break is that if they are adjusted to close to the bars
you wont get enough movement to fully apply the brakes or lift the clutch enough for
it to fully clear the plates so you will get a bigger clunk going into gear, my MT
like some others goes in gear with quit a clunk if the clutch is not correctly adjusted
and fully pulled in, I don't have any problem with a long reach to the lever so if
these levers allow when adjusted the other way allow more movement than the standard ones
then I would give them a go.

I have short hands/fingers so I gave these from amazon a try: US-260 Short Motorcycle Brake and Clutch Levers for YAMAHA MT-07,FZ-07 2014 2015-Black.

They come in different colors (red making your bike faster 8-)) and seem to be of good quality. Like others, it was a stretch to get all my fingers around the clutch lever to pull it in and yes, shorties do look better and they do function better if you know how to adjust them right. On my stock clutch lever, when letting the clutch out, it used to engage way out, just millimeters before it was all the way out. I didn't like that, it took too long to find the engagement point and didn't feel natural. With my shorties I adjusted my my clutch lever to where when it is pulled all the way in (up to my two fingers around the hand grip) it only has to go a few millimeters out before it engages which feels more natural, it engages much quicker, is less straining because I can relax my hand/fingers that much sooner. As far as my front brake lever it's true if it's adjusted too far in you won't have as much braking power so does that make shorties a bad thing?  Gee, if they're adjustable like most are and you know how to flick a tiny lever for adjustment you set it to where it's still closer to the grip, not as close but has full power with a two finger pull. Mine work perfectly fine, no Mikey come lately gonna tell me my shorties are dangerous or are just for looks.

Beemer

shaneallen23

Not dealing with the similar issue, but I've gone to shorties primarily because I do have small hands and shorties lend more towards clearing any drops in the likelihood that it does happen. Unless you're willing to get foldable levers as well. I can also use all 4 fingers on the shortys if I wanted... in the end it's just a preference.
Yeah I guess I'll just have to try them out and see what I prefer. I don't have catchers mitts but I typically wear a Large glove so the reach isn't much of an issue. It's more-so the functionality of 2 vs. 4 fingers on the stock lever which adjustables would mitigate. I think when the time comes I'll try the shorties since I'm getting more and more used to using 2 fingers.  

amycyclenut

My adjustable levers are straight from China too and I LOVE them.

2015 FZ-07
1986 FZ600
1974 CB450
1973 RD350
sold: 1970 CB350, 1972 CB175, 2009 Vespa S 150

Yup, I got a set of shorties from rideitmoto on eBay. Great quality from what I can tell, put about 100 miles on the bike with them so far and no problems. The clutch adjustment is really nice compared to factory.

ratherbebiking

I have small hands and have a set of China-made adjustable shortys. 5000km (3000 miles) so far and they still look nee and havent missed a beat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

For me, one of the things I found was that as the bike was delivered the levers were both positioned down too far making for me an uncomfortably long reach to them--I've smaller hands, as well. I've another bike and noticed what was wrong with the 07 as soon as I got it home and compared. Yes, adjustability is a separate issue from how long the levers are. I, for one, prefer the longer levers and the added leverage that come with the added length. If the fulcrum is different on shorties vis a vis the stock this might be mitigated, but otherwise a longer lever will afford more force, hence, easier application farther out.

• 3 years later...

Hello there, Advice needed please - Adjustable levers will take 3 months to arrive South-African time lol. - can anyone tell me how to  adjust the stock brake lever in the meantime? I could only find tutorials on replacing the stock with adjustable ones but nothing on how to adjust the stock lever for the 07 - I would like it closer to the bar so that I don't have to stretch my fingers that far out.

Just now, Christine said:

Hello there, Advice needed please - Adjustable levers will take 3 months to arrive South-African time lol. - can anyone tell me how to  adjust the stock brake lever in the meantime? I could only find tutorials on replacing the stock with adjustable ones but nothing on how to adjust the stock lever for the 07 - I would like it closer to the bar so that I don't have to stretch my fingers that far out.

Unless they have changed the levers or your spec is different over there, the stock levers are already 'adjustable'. Just push the lever away from the bar with your fingers and rotate the adjustment wheel at the fulcrum. It should be numbered 1-5 or 6, it will move closer/further from bar. See part #9 in pic below,

Studio_20181219_065039.png.5eaf4a9cfa4d8e2b3fb23e9a40fd522c.png

10 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Unless they have changed the levers or your spec is different over there, the stock levers are already 'adjustable'. Just push the lever away from the bar with your fingers and rotate the adjustment wheel at the fulcrum. It should be numbered 1-5 or 6, it will move closer/further from bar. See part #9 in pic below,

Thanks it has the adjustment wheel but couldnt figure out how to get it to turn...I will push it and turn it as you suggest, it will save me a lot of money if I could adjust it, my clutch for some reason doesnt bother me at all

• Global Moderator
12 hours ago, Christine said:

There is an adjuster on the brake lever side only.  It is not as adjustable as most after market levers though, but it is better then nothing. 

73EF8E78-39A8-4A31-A98C-615CCE12A74E.png

• Global Moderator

Oops, looks like I did not notice the next page of posts.  Oh well, I will leave my post as it has the owners manual reference. 

4 hours ago, mjh937 said:

Oops, looks like I did not notice the next page of posts.  Oh well, I will leave my post as it has the owners manual reference. 

Thank you for that too, I did the adjustment it is helping a bit, but I suspect it would be much better with shorties, I have other wider handle bars on it, the stock bars wasnt that great.

16 hours ago, mossrider said:

Thank you, I did the adjustment it is helping a bit, but I suspect it would be much better with shorties, I have other wider handle bars on it, the stock bars wasnt that great.

Archived