The MT-07 Forum

JIS Screwdriver

mjh937

• Global Moderator

My wife is getting me JIS screwdrivers for Father's day. What size or sizes do I need?  It seems like they come in at least five different sizes and I do not want to get ones I will not need, or worst yet not get one I do need. Thanks for the help guys (or gals). 

bmwpowere36m3

I thought their sized the same as "US"... I would get a #1, #2 and #3. That should cover you for almost everything, even beyond the FZ-07.

fooschnickens

I picked up this set a while ago (but not from this vendor): http://www.themechanicstoolbox.com/vessel-megadora-900-series-6-piece-cross-point-screwdriver-set-fits-jis-phillips/?page_context=search&faceted_search=0

So far all I've only found myself using the [HASH]1 and [HASH]2 on the bike, but I haven't gotten into things all that much so the [HASH]3 may get some use as well. It's nice having the variety of lengths, though, and for ~$60 that's a really good deal for 6 drivers, especially of this quality. They're all made in Japan and feel completely solid with good grip in the hand.

Vessel also makes a neat impact driver of sorts in JIS sizes as well. Every hammer hit on the end transfers a 12° counter-clockwise motion to the screw. Pretty nifty stuff and decently priced at ~$20 a pop. I'll probably pick one up eventually.

• Global Moderator

Thanks for the input. I just ordered the Vessel set.

• 1 year later...
My wife is getting me JIS screwdrivers for Father's day. What size or sizes do I need?  It seems like they come in at least five different sizes and I do not want to get ones I will not need, or worst yet not get one I do need. Thanks for the help guys (or gals). 
Have you looked at the Vessel brand? Awfully nice! 
https://www.amazon.com/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490188739&sr=8-1&keywords=vessel+screwdrivers

Beemer

For those not in the know....There are NO Phillips screws on any Japanesse item. Do not use a phillips screwdriver on your bike.

Get JIS drivers. They lock in, do not strip the head out, and can literally snap the screw without slipping.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Global Moderator
Have you looked at the Vessel brand? Awfully nice! 
https://www.amazon.com/Bessel-Vessel-Difference-Screwdrivers-No-220w-3/dp/B00E55DL4I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490188739&sr=8-1&keywords=vessel+screwdrivers

Yes, I got the Vessel ones.  They are very good quality and have been a great addition to my toolbox. 

Vessels here also, didn't bother with standard just went for impact because the only visual difference is the metal end cap for striking, great product and I use the [HASH]3 on the DRZ so 1,2 & 3 are all good.

For those not in the know....There are NO Phillips screws on any Japanesse item. Do not use a phillips screwdriver on your bike. 
Get JIS drivers. They lock in, do not strip the head out, and can literally snap the screw without slipping.
Hmm, I can think of at least 6 Phillips headed screws on this bike - and on most every bike. On the FZ, the screws holding the clamshell switch gear(both sides) and the screws holding the cap tor the brake master cylinder all are Phillips heads.  My Aprilia and all my previous BMWs had these and a few others. 
You'll want a nicely fitting driver in those flat headed Phillips in the master. They tend to get corroded down in the threads and can be a real pita to get out if they were made stupid tight from the factory - or some go -  rilla along the way.  

For those who might not know, what looks like a Phillips head screw on Japanese bikes etc. is actually JIS (Japanese Industrial Std. I think) slightly different and easily rounded out with Phillips type screw drivers. When I was younger we blamed the cheap Japanese cheese head screws when it was actually us using Phillips head drivers...who knew?

Archived