The MT-07 Forum

ACCIDENT!!

fz07fanboy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

Glad you were not seriously hurt and hope the insurance company treats you right!  

• Premium Member

As far as Lane splitting goes I'll continue to ride and split lanes. It's the only way you're going to get around LA. I was riding completely legal. I've been riding in this California traffic 14yrs. We all take chances riding motorcycles and things can happen. I can only be as cautious as possible in hopes that other drivers are cautious of us. Of course there are an accepted few that aren't.

Lane splitting is always safe as long as car drivers know about it.

Look at Europe, where lane splitting is very common, and very safe.
Drivers in Europe have learned to use their turned signals and use their mirrors before swishing lanes (cell phone use is also very prohibited in a moving vehicle).
In Europe, cagers are very well aware of a possible scooter or motorcycle splitting lanes. So they are looking out for them.

In the USA, drivers are not tough to look out for motorcycle riders, as they are barely tough how to drive a car in the first place. Its mainly a self tough story. Some drivers develop better skills than others and some are more aware of their surroundings (like bikers), and some other drivers don't care, as they rather be on their cell phones, or just don't care about driving challenges.

motomeek

I looked at the Hurt Report and watched the video and found that the guys in the video are fudging the statistics (Hurt Report: more accidents are caused by cars turning left in front of cyclists, not by getting rear ended as the video boys claimed) to justify what they say and voicing personal opinions that seem to make sense, if you agree with their logic but I don't agree with them on everything. I agree that if traffic is at a standstill then lane splitting should be fairly safe (depending on the rider) and prevent you from getting rear ended while sitting still but for them to say you are safer to lane split than not when traffic is moving is ridiculous. The more space you have between you and other vehicles the safer you are and your reaction time is greatly reduced when a car can move left or right and either bump you or cut in front of you that much quicker and there you are, between two cars and nowhere to go. All you can do is hope to see them in time and brake well which didn't happen for our unfortunate friend, not that lane splitting was illegal. You take your chances as mentioned in the video (I agree with that) and reducing your buffer to react and maneuver doesn't make you safer and no three fools on a video will ever convince me otherwise. They may be gifted riders but they weren't gifted with common sense. Sorry this was so long but it had to be said to help protect new or average riders on this forum that think it looks cool but will freeze up (and they do) instead of react when there's eminent danger and don't posses the skill to react correctly if they do react. All being said, do what pleases you.

"Lane splitting is always safe as long as car drivers know about it.
" Really? So why is it when I am legally in the center of my own lane and people know about it, the jerks keep cutting into my lane when I'm right beside them? Riding closer to them makes you safer???
Good luck fellow riders and may god keep you safe.

Also, I watched 'your' video and there's no excuse for them but you could've avoided having to swerve over a lane and then go between cars had you been watching the traffic better and noticed their signal. You easily could've got on the brakes to match their speed when they first started coming over too early. I don't say that to criticize or belittle you but you have to contemplate what the other guy might do, especially when they turn their blinker on and you have to react instantly. You waited almost till you were up on them before you reacted. Don't want to hear you got hurt, be safe.

Beemer

I can't watch your vid right now, but I had a close call on Monday similar to yours. Prius in the carpool lane coming from a 57N ramp that merges into the 60E carpool lane. Before the line even went from solid to dotted, he already merged into my lane 60E carpool lane, I honked. And he continued to merge, cross the double yellow, in order to catch the merge onto the 57N (Carpool lane doesn't open to allow you to make the 57N merge, but people cross is ALL the TIME). I swerved into the 1 lane opening and THAT was when he realized he cut me off. Then looked at me like.. "HUH" 
Investing in a camera is essential for situations like this. Glad you got it on camera and that you're alright. Go CBR250R!! Too bad the horn on that thing sounds like a mouse.
Hey motomeek, that's a close call for sure! I know that interchange quite well I grew up in Walnut, would suck to get taken out by any car especially a minivan!  

Actually your correct it was a Prius! Both you and fz07fanboy had incidents that involved a Prius!!!

wickedtwister

You're right, it looked yellow as if it were a blinker but it was up high like the other brake light.

Beemer

• Premium Member

I read somewhere a while back that surveyed Californians. The majority knew that lane splitting was legal, but I think somewhere around 60-70% said that they didn't care and would not yield the right of way to passing motorcyclists. I guess they consider it an unfair advantage to traffic.

I wish I could find the article.. I'll search around but I found it randomly a couple years ago. It could be complete hogwash, but knowing the mindstates of Cali drivers, and the world at large, I wouldn't doubt it.

Everything went braap.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

I only do it under certain safe conditions, all the while lmao at the frustrated cagers stuck in traffic. If other lane splitting bikes come up behind me, I pull over to let them continue in front of me. Only rarely is there a true jerk who tries not to let you go by.

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

@motomeek what a tool indeed. That prius driver thought that just because he had his blinker on, it was ok to just sweep across the lines and cut someone off without paying attention. That would of made me want to put a foot in the door.

@fz07fanboy ah man dont say that! I just logged kiln and just saw all this. Very very happy your okay. Personally I dont think I would have kept lane splitting under that situation, or I would've slowed down very much, especially around a squirrelly Prius, but thank goodness you weren't going any faster. Not at all blaming you, its clearly the Prius fault, you can even see in the video how it swerved into the right lane turn again into the left when it hit you. So clearly their fault. All I'm pointing is if there's anything everybody can learn from this, and I think maybe its to slow down a lot more giving the increased risk by that driver, maybe slow down to the point you can flash lights or honk, somehow confirm they've seen you then pass. Of course sometimes there's nothing we can do, but I think its better to learn as much as possible and pass on the experience, because blame means nothing when it comes to whether we live or die, it only matters with the insurance lol. But even with what did happen, I think you did pretty good, not going toooo fast, gave you time to react at least a little, reduced the impact. And of course wearing all gear. Just wondering, were you wearing knee guards too? Or some type of motorcycle pants with armor or padding?

In my accident I didn't have any leg gear, I also ended up bruised. This time around I got the icon knee guards(even protects a portion of the shins), and will probably get pants later. But I'm just wondering how much the knee guards helped out(if you wore them).

Overall I'm just really happy your okay. Thats what really matters. Hopefully some day we can ride, I have my bike now! I'll be the guy that looks like a yellow highlighter(I got ALL hi-viz gear)

• Premium Member

I wasn't wearing any type of knee guards or pants. I do have the pants that go with my jacket. I'm sure after this lesson I will be wearing them from here on. As far as speed, I was only going approx 25mph. If you go to slow that can pose a issue as well. I don't like staying between cars anymore then i have to. I'd rather get past as quickly as possible. What you may not have seen or you may have pointed it out was this prius was just int he far left lane that i was in. I had just seen him move over to the right and figured I was good. As soon as i seen him move I attempted to accelerate a little to get past but he surprised me by darting right back over again. No turn signal or anything. We can surely meet up and go for a ride. I surely plan on going to Angeles Crest HWY again. It was some of the best riding I've ever done. So much to ride and see there. It was worth the trip to me and I had to ride 68 miles before I got there and then did 118 mile ride and then back again.

@fz07fanboy oh ok no knee guards. Yeah I learned the same lesson after my accident, in fact I'm also packing to get some type of hip protection too. I think most pants come with it, but for now I preferred the knee armor cause of the convenience in putting them on any pants. You're right, there's also a danger in slowing down. What I was used to was if I saw someone switch lanes, immediately I would take extreme precaution in passing that person to soon. If I couldn't establish them viewing me, I'd avoid passing them till it was safe or at least clear they were staying in that lane. It was kind scary in your case though cause I think I saw like 2 other cars switch lanes front of you too. Seems like the person was not paying attention at all, they should have at least seen you from a distance when they first switched lanes.I get a feeling if not you, they were gonna hit another car. Probably that red truck.

You can see the Prius switch lanes the first time in your video. Just keep looking at the top. Its kinda hard to get depth perception in the video, so idk how far you were at the first switch, but to me that would've thrown a red flag. I always assumed the drivers were careless, never trusted them, that way I never expect them to do the right thing and then I end up paying for it. You have a point though, it is safer to get away from those situations as soon as you can.

Sounds good man! I dont live far from the crest, so I can go whenever. There's another guy to with an fz-07 on YouTube, he goes up there a lot. I haven't been there in more than 2 years! Would be awesome

• Premium Member

Geico REP just came out @ 0800 sharp this morning to look at the bike. He told me he doesn't want to take the bike from me and gave me other options for salvage title if it came down to it. I told him I just want to get majority of the cosmetic stuff fixed and I'll work with the other stuff. Point I wanted to make is that I wanted to keep the bike, get it fixed and continue to ride. He said he understood and he would get back to me later this evening or by Monday. Now I await.

Geico REP just came out @ 0800 sharp this morning to look at the bike. He told me he doesn't want to take the bike from me and gave me other options for salvage title if it came down to it. I told him I just want to get majority of the cosmetic stuff fixed and I'll work with the other stuff. Point I wanted to make is that I wanted to keep the bike, get it fixed and continue to ride. He said he understood and he would get back to me later this evening or by Monday. Now I await.

Good to hear! How are you doing? Pain going away?

• Premium Member
Good to hear! How are you doing? Pain going away?
I'm doing great. I don't really have any pain anymore. I'm just happy to be around still and ready to get riding again. I could just on the FZ right now and take off =) I'm ready for some ACH

Glad to hear that you're ok. Lane splitting over here would be suicidal even if it would be legal. A lot of cagers here, (north of Montreal) seem to not know the purpose of mirrors, flashers and looking to their blind spot.

past bikes: WR250X, KLR650, V-Strom 1000, DR650, FZ-6, SV650S, Seca II, GS400S, Seca 750, YZ80.

I hope you're doing ok now but I have to say the main reason lane splitting is not safe is very apparent in this video. At the point where it was obvious the guy in the Prius turned his tires (red flag!) and started coming back into the passing lane you were right between that red truck and black car and had nowhere to go (no Escape Route) until you passed either one which was valuable avoidance time wasted. I'm truly glad you're alright and sorry you had to go through all that crap but I would like to give you a tip if you are going to keep lane splitting. Just slow down a little bit and give yourself more time to react to anything. I'm guilty of panicking in situations when I was younger and freezing up and I suggest you ride with your fingers over the brakes and get on your brakes hard if anyone cuts in front of you again and don't speed up into the path of the vehicle. At least if you still collide with them you won't be going as fast and it may minimize your injuries. Also, we all know that there are lot's of dumb dad's in the world that are proud of their son's no matter what they do and the dummy sons are always manufacturing ways to show off on the road for dear old dad just to get a cookie and a pat on the head, so never assume someone won't do anything stupid until you've met their dad first. Be safe out there and have fun riding.

Beemer

@beemer met their dad!?! Wth?!?  (rofl)
I think I kinda get what your saying with the dad thing but it just sounds so random and hilarious lol

@fz07fanboy I replied to your message, I'll let you know once I'm ready to go

• Premium Member

Geico update....I just got the completed repair estimate and everything is a go to take it to the shop for repairs. Estimate is approx $1900. I will probably take it to the shop tomorrow morning so they can get started on it. I even had a brand new Delkavic exhaust for it that arrived the day the incident happened. I also have a brand new set of tires for it as well.

So glad you're ok! This driver is clearly not watching for other cars let alone motorcyclists.
My heart goes out to you, and I hope your leg is doing better. So sad to see your bike laying on the ground like that too. :(

• Premium Member

Thank you Ladyfz. My leg is doing fine now. As for the bike I took it this morning to the local cycle dealership for repair. They said they go through it completely and anything that looks damaged they replace. The bike will be like brand new when I get it back. It only has 2600 miles on it now. I still have the FZ to ride but I won't be commuting on it.

Archived