The MT-07 Forum

ACCIDENT!!

fz07fanboy

• Premium Member

Well the subject says it all. I think i was jinxed by @roadrunner but non the less. I got into an accident June 8th on the 101 freeway heading south in Los Angeles going to work. I was downtown just before the Melrose street bridge. I was in the left lane splitting traffic at approx 20-25 mph and a guy clearly cut me off. Thank goodness my Mobius action camera came in. I had just mounted it the night before and it caught everything on video. This guy never even looked. What you don't see and what i did see was this guy had just switched lanes from the lane I was in and decided to dart back over like a squirrel does when it runs out in front of you. I showed the video to CHP and he nodded his head and said "yup, no turn signal". Awaiting Geico adjuster to come Friday and hopefully get the bike fixed. Oh and by the way this wasn't on my FZ-07 but since I'm a member I wanted to post it here. I have a 2012 CBR250R that i commute 67 miles one way with. I've included a video link of the entire thing. What you can also here is a lady who was attempting to help me say to the medic how the guy was swerving in and out of traffic. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't the one swaying in the lanes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf6i5sec39r8qqn/Motorcycle%20Accident%208%20June%202015.mov?dl=0

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man are you OK...I have been in that spot, and sometimes you just need to lie there and do a self check

Dude did one of those 1 click jump over lane changes like a big noob

Gotta get me a camera now

Are you okay? Did your riding gear do its job? There is no lane splitting in Arizona, however no helmet law either. People still drive like jackasses though! Hope you're alright. Did the bike take a beating?

• Global Moderator

No no no no NO !! I hate these threads!

I'm glad you okay and have recorded everything. It will turn out okay but this really sucks.  How's the leg?

• Premium Member

I'm doing ok. My right leg is a little sore because that's the side I got hit on. It wasn't even a one click. He hit is brakes. Play and pause it in slow motion and you can see he didn't use his turn signal at all. The gear did exactly what is was suppose to. A little bruising on my leg. Small pimp walk right now. This is the jacket I was wearing http://www.cyclegear.com/SEDICI-Alexi-3-Season-Mesh-Motorcycle-Jacket not a scratch. It made rolling a lot more comfortable than it could have been. I had a SHOEI RF1200 helmet. I don't think a nor does it look like i hit my head but i was a little out of it for a minute after the initial hit. I was trying to brake and hope he would of seen me and swerved back over but he kept coming over. I didn't want to run into the barrier and go over the barrier. As far as the bike condition, to me its not terribly bad but I will see what the adjuster says.

• Premium Member

Man, just glad you got away with minor injuries. Wishing you (and your bike) an expeditious and complete recovery.

Everything went braap.

Thanks for the link to the gear. Interested in seeing how GEICO handles everything. Please keep us posted. Good luck!

• Premium Member

I can't watch your vid right now, but I had a close call on Monday similar to yours. Prius in the carpool lane coming from a 57N ramp that merges into the 60E carpool lane. Before the line even went from solid to dotted, he already merged into my lane 60E carpool lane, I honked. And he continued to merge, cross the double yellow, in order to catch the merge onto the 57N (Carpool lane doesn't open to allow you to make the 57N merge, but people cross is ALL the TIME). I swerved into the 1 lane opening and THAT was when he realized he cut me off. Then looked at me like.. "HUH"

Investing in a camera is essential for situations like this. Glad you got it on camera and that you're alright. Go CBR250R!! Too bad the horn on that thing sounds like a mouse.

Instagram: @meekmade | You don't need to flat foot a bike to ride it.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Man I'm sorry this happened to you. Even though it doesn't look like your helmet took an impact I would try to get it replaced. They are only rated for one impact. At least auto helmets are that way. Hope all comes out well with the insurance company.

Thanks for the link to the gear. Interested in seeing how GEICO handles everything. Please keep us posted. Good luck!
Geico has top notch adjusters, and they will take care of him and the bike. I had them for about 15 years and would never have swapped to State farm if they did not want to charge me as much for full coverage for the bike, as they do for my truck

Geico has top notch adjusters, and they will take care of him and the bike. I had them for about 15 years and would never have swapped to State farm if they did not want to charge me as much for full coverage for the bike, as they do for my truck
That's definitely good to know, as I'm still shopping around. 

• Premium Member

I'm glad to hear you're ok! keep us updated on what how everything turns out with insurance.

• Premium Member

Glad you are ok. The video is really sharp.
Can you share details of that camera in comparison to a gopro.

Glad you are ok you are rite very clear the cage didn't look at all just blitzed over with no regard

Glad your overall ok, could have been worse. What's with the douche bag in the red truck not even getting out to check on you or provide witness information. Everybody's in a damn hurry anymore. No consideration for others.

• Premium Member

In SoCal there are several cars we look out for as they are notorious for bad drivers. Freaking Prius drivers at the top of the list. Glad you are okay.

• Premium Member
Glad you are ok. The video is really sharp. Can you share details of that camera in comparison to a gopro.
This is a youtube video that compares the video quality between the 2 cameras. I have a gopro Hero 3+ as well that I use as a dash cam in my car. IMHO the mobius is just as good if not a little better quality. Especially for the size. It only as big as a keychain remote. That makes it easy to mount anywhere.  

• Premium Member
Glad your overall ok, could have been worse. What's with the douche bag in the red truck not even getting out to check on you or provide witness information. Everybody's in a damn hurry anymore. No consideration for others.
Now that i look at it, i wonder the same thing. How stupid because it happened right in front of him. It seemed like he was more concerned with getting around my bike laying on the ground then helping. I could of been laying there dead.

Damn, that's some scary shet! I'm glad you're ok. That one blink from their car in the video just wasn't enough. Even though it's legal to do, I hope you chose not to lane split any more now that you see how dangerous it is.

Beemer

• Premium Member
Now that i look at it, i wonder the same thing. How stupid because it happened right in front of him. It seemed like he was more concerned with getting around my bike laying on the ground then helping. I could of been laying there dead.
Finally got to see the vid! That's what I saw saying when I saw that! People are ridiculous.  
Well here's a vid of my close call I mentioned earlier... didn't know you could view videos on dropbox. VIDEO HERE
Excuse the poor quality, I recorded it off a computer screen since I didn't have time to use editing software. I also didn't think I'd be sharing it.  ;-| 

• Premium Member
Finally got to see the vid! That's what I saw saying when I saw that! People are ridiculous.  
Well here's a vid of my close call I mentioned earlier... didn't know you could view videos on dropbox. VIDEO HERE
Excuse the poor quality, I recorded it off a computer screen since I didn't have time to use editing software. I also didn't think I'd be sharing it.  ;-| 
Another Prius!  Apparently these drivers are too busy feeling smug about "saving the planet" to pay attention to what the hell they are doing.  SMH 

• Premium Member
wickedtwister
Damn, that's some scary shet! I'm glad you're ok. That one blink from their car in the video just wasn't enough. Even though it's legal to do, I hope you chose not to lane split any more now that you see how dangerous it is.
I dont even think they gave one blink i think that was the brakes.  I think i can see the other brake light on the other side.  

• Premium Member

Glad you are okay, I need to get my gopro back on my helmet

• Premium Member
I'd beg to differ. Watch this video from

[video src=""]

thomascrown

Splitting lanes is safe, provided that it's done intelligently. That means 10mph max speed difference between the cars and you, and a cautious eye for "hot spots", empty areas of adjacent lane where a car can physically fit, and may attempt to do so.

Needless to say, most people (los angeles motorcyclists) who lanesplit don't do it cautiously or safely.

There are areas where cars scramble and jockey for position (when 2 highways merge for example), sometimes it's best to tuck into a lane and ride out the storm in those scenarios. Good judgement, and discretion go a long way.

Archived