The MT-07 Forum

New Naked bike to the market 2016 Kawasaki Z800

belleau1977

• Premium Member
belleau1977

As if it wasn't hard enough making the decision on which first new bike I wanted to buy for a naked bike Kawasaki finally brings this to the states! I've seen this bike very time I go to the dealer in Seville Spain but don't pay much attention to it due to I know we don't have it in the states. I just found out a couple days ago it's coming in August or September for $8,300 price range. This bike is mean looking in person but the one thing that really makes me not like it is the 500+ lb weight it's caring. The Suzuki GSX-S750 I thought was heavy at 470 lbs weight. The FZ-09 is 416 lbs and the light FZ-07 is 396 lbs. this is a sweet looking bike but dang the weight puts me off. I've never worried about weight before but seeing the weight of all these bikes makes me realize maybe it's important to me after all. Better gas mileage at least. Thoughts? I like it but it's only offered in this color so far but in Europe they have several options for colors. The matte white with green is the best.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/2016-kawasaki-z800-abs-naked-motorcycle-review-first-look-photos-specifications/

[attachment id=459" thumbnail="1]

I like the look, but it is way too heavy. I will say that the suspension on it seems to be pretty solid from what I've read. It's apparently adjustable for preload and rebound damping front and rear.

EDIT: After reading the article, I think the 509 lbs. might be a typo. It says 357 dry weight which is actually less than the FZ-07's dry weight of 362 lbs.

I have no clue why this thing is as heavy as the Z1000...or almost as heavy.

Ridiculous.

Ridiculous.
I don't think it is, look at the dry weight value. Unless there is 150 lbs. worth of liquid somewhere on the bike, I'm pretty sure it is a mistake.

• Premium Member
snowdriftless
I like the look, but it is way too heavy. I will say that the suspension on it seems to be pretty solid from what I've read. It's apparently adjustable for preload and rebound damping front and rear. 
EDIT: After reading the article, I think the 509 lbs. might be a typo. It says 357 dry weight which is actually less than the FZ-07's dry weight of 362 lbs.

I believe it will be somewhere in the range of the European model. That's listed 229 kg or (504 lbs.). That's a hefty bike! where are they putting on all those extra pounds? Other than the price why not get a Triumph Speed Triple instead?

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

It has some nice features and looks similar to the FZ 07 but for $1,400 less I'd still rather have my FZ 07, mainly because it's a parallel twin that makes better low end torque. (personal preference) I would bet money mine sounds better also with the Akrapovic carbon that's installed.

Question: why do they keep putting those big, old school fenders on modern bikes that have a lot of sharp angles? They don't match IMO and everyone just seems to chuck them and get fender eliminators anyway. Oh, well.

Beemer

2wheeldynoworks

It was awesome 4 years ago but the new bikes in the class outperform it. Good stunting bike is what i've heard though

I test rode one a few weeks ago. A few impressions after 30 minutes ride:

It's heavy and it FEELS heavy. I've ridden 1000cc bikes that were way more nimble than the Z800.
The seating position is sort of aggressive. The lack of wind protection means the wind will hold you up at +80kmh though, but city riding is a pain.
If you like the transformer look, then it looks great. Personally I don't think the design will age well.
It sounds great even with standard exhaust, with aftermarket it might sound insane.
It's expensive. So expensive.
MT09 is cheaper and a better bike in almost every aspect.

Since it's your first bike I wouldn't fork out more than a MT07. It's plenty fast for a new rider.

• Premium Member

According to what I read (on Revzilla, I think) it will weigh 510 wet

• Premium Member
Ridiculous.
It's actually heavier, and that is because its frame is steel whereas the Z1000 is aluminium

• Global Moderator

If you live in California you do not have to worry about this bike. It is a 49 state bike. I am glad I already made my decision. It is getting harder to decide, although I think the weight would end up ruling this one out.

• Premium Member
belleau1977
I test rode one a few weeks ago. A few impressions after 30 minutes ride: 
It's heavy and it FEELS heavy. I've ridden 1000cc bikes that were way more nimble than the Z800.
The seating position is sort of aggressive. The lack of wind protection means the wind will hold you up at +80kmh though, but city riding is a pain.
If you like the transformer look, then it looks great. Personally I don't think the design will age well.
It sounds great even with standard exhaust, with aftermarket it might sound insane.
It's expensive. So expensive.
MT09 is cheaper and a better bike in almost every aspect.

Since it's your first bike I wouldn't fork out more than a MT07. It's plenty fast for a new rider.
Thanks for the short review. I personally love the look but like everyone else says the weight is what's killing owning this bike. I've actually owned 18 bikes but this will make my first NEW bike so right now I've got these four naked bikes leaning hard on me. I have seven weeks till I get home from Spain so plenty of time to drool and do my research. FZ-07 is still the top contender the only thing the other bikes have on it is at 6' tall 220 lbs I feel like they fit me better due to the tank design. I don't like how the FZ-09 looks but if it can look like the pictures I've found of custom bikes I'm all for it and $1,000 more I won't sweat.[attachment id=470" thumbnail="1][attachment id=469" thumbnail="1][attachment id=471" thumbnail="1]

• Premium Member
yamahappy74

The extra weight is likely in the engine and the exhaust, mainly. An inline 4? Why? If it's not a sport bike, I don't see the point. Besides, the FZ-07 looks better, it's lighter, and quick as hell, it's nimble, gets me compliments on the regular, and I'm biased because I already own one, lol. I see no reason to even consider this bigger, heavier beast.

• Premium Member
belleau1977

For me I'm all about looks and not so much about performance as pretty much every sport bike out there does 100mph in like no time at all. I'd like the Augusta looks just like I like the Ducati Monster 696 but one thing those bikes will never have over a Japanese bike is the 25,000 mile valve inspection which is why I don't look at exotics. Also there is a Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki dealer every two or three towns not so much for Augusta, Triumph, or Ducati. My body size is the only thing keeping me looking at these inline four naked bikes since at six foot 220 lbs I just feel like I'm sitting on the tank of the FZ-07. It still fits me but the tank design of the FZ-09, GSX-S750, and Z800 fit me perfectly. Also I only get one shot to buy my first new bike so I have to make sure I get it right the first time. Honestly I like all four bikes and I'd buy them all if I could. The FZ forums are huge though so I'm aiming more for the FZ models really. Here's a picture of me sitting on the FZ-07 and the GSx750. It's where my knees are at is why I feel like I'm sitting on the tank. In the end I know whatever I get I'm going to be stoked riding from there on. Let me know if I look like an elephant on a monkey in the FZ picture.
[attachment id=473" thumbnail="1][attachment id=472" thumbnail="1]

I'm the same size as you and I'm very comfortable on my FZ-07. Do it, you won't regret it!

Also twins will always sound better than triples or fours no matter what :D

• Premium Member
belleau1977
I'm the same size as you and I'm very comfortable on my FZ-07. Do it, you won't regret it!  
Also twins will always sound better than triples or fours no matter what :D
Thank you for the helpful mention. The FZ-07 really is my top pick. One thing that draws me most to the FZ-07 is how huge this forum has got and there are already so many after market options for it now. Also if I get it I plan on being the first member to get the 50/50 wheel design in red/white with FZ-07 and Yamaha lettering on the insides. I do love the sound!

Being 5 "5" I can't know how comfortable you feel on the FZ but you look fine- not at all like an elephant on a monkey.

• Premium Member
belleau1977

[attachment id=478" thumbnail="1][attachment id=480" thumbnail="1][attachment id=479" thumbnail="1]

So today i day I went to the Kawsaki, KTM, and Yamaha shop after work. Finally sat on the Kawasaki Z800 and it fits me great! Love the look but also I previously had two other Z1000's so I guess that's why I like this bike too. I hate the 509 curb weight it says it weighs but in person and sitting on it I was quickly setting that to the side as I looks good. White is the best color. Cool thing I found out just like the FZ-07 the z800 has panels on the tank that come off also so it's not all metal tank. I love the KTM Duke 690 the shop had but 7,500 valve inspection suck since the jap bikes are 25,000 intervals. Sucks KTM is my favorite brand too. The FZ-09 to me is ugly but in person it's a tad better. This model has blue forks which look great on it. I have 7 weeks to think it all over but when I get back From Spain I'm going to walk into Big St Charles Motorsports in St. Louis with a few thousand dollars on me and let them know how serious I am. Westfield Powersports in Indianapolis is $1,000 cheaper on all their bikes so if the local shop won't come down much I'm getting a $200 plane ticket to Indy and riding the bike back 220 miles.

pantheraleo

So today i day I went to the Kawsaki, KTM, and Yamaha shop after work. Finally sat on the Kawasaki Z800 and it fits me great! Love the look but also I previously had two other Z1000's so I guess that's why I like this bike too. I hate the 509 curb weight it says it weighs but in person and sitting on it I was quickly setting that to the side as I looks good. White is the best color. Cool thing I found out just like the FZ-07 the z800 has panels on the tank that come off also so it's not all metal tank. I love the KTM Duke 690 the shop had but 7,500 valve inspection suck since the jap bikes are 25,000 intervals. Sucks KTM is my favorite brand too. The FZ-09 to me is ugly but in person it's a tad better. This model has blue forks which look great on it. I have 7 weeks to think it all over but when I get back From Spain I'm going to walk into Big St Charles Motorsports in St. Louis with a few thousand dollars on me and let them know how serious I am. Westfield Powersports in Indianapolis is $1,000 cheaper on all their bikes so if the local shop won't come down much I'm getting a $200 plane ticket to Indy and riding the bike back 220 miles.
I am not sure about that 25k for all of the Japanese manufacturers.  I believe only Yamaha is that high.  I know the GSXR has an adjustment interval of 15k, and I am pretty sure that the Honda inline 4 interval is 16k, since my buddy has a CBR 600 RR and he keeps up with such things. 
I bet the Kawi is about the same, 15 or 16k.  That's not a deal breaker either way, but you COULD use it as a negotiating chip, eh?  Good luck haggling with the dealer.  They are tough in June.

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

Archived