The MT-07 Forum

Front Brake stiff

zesty

Hello all,

Hoping someone had a quick answer to my problem.  When the bike is in the sun for a bit the front brake lever pull stiffens up significantly.  From what I've read on various forums, it could be that I have air in the brake lines.  The air heats up, expands and causes the lever to stiffen. 

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what it might be?  I am at 400 miles on the bike.

crappy bleeding job at the factory.
easiest way to get rid of all bubbles (aside from pushing new fluid from the caliper upward is to pump the lever hard, keep it squeezed (employ a helper) and move from lowest point to highest point cracking and quickly closing each banjo. the culprit is mostly likely at the master cylinder though.

Keep a towel handy and wrapped close to the banjo being manipulated.

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update this in case anyone else is having this issue because my solution was different.

I bled the brakes myself, didn't fix the problem. I took it in for the first service, had them bleed the brakes as well,(just to make sure I wasn't failing at the bleeding) didn't fix the problem. Decided to put my stock brake lever back on, problem solved. Seems my eBay brake lever was the issue here. No matter how I adjusted the aftermarket lever, loosen the bolt, tighten the bolt, use the adjuster on the lever, the stiffness never changed. It was getting so stiff that it wouldn't actuate the brake light until I was pretty firm on the brakes.

TL;DR eBay brake lever was causing the stiffness. Stock lever works perfect.

> eBay brake lever was causing the stiffness

Correction. Cheap-ass, piece of shet, Chinese made knock off levers was causing the stiffness.
There's a very long thread on GSXR forums (I think) amounts to: Do NOT buy Chinese knock-off levers under no condition or for any reason. Ever!

bannerfans_1095431.jpg

• Premium Member

Or any Chinese knock off part for that matter. Not that they are incapable of making quality stuff, they just make what the consumer wants.. aka, cheap as shet.

Everything went braap.

> eBay brake lever was causing the stiffness 
Correction. Cheap-ass, piece of shet, Chinese made knock off levers was causing the stiffness.
There's a very long thread on GSXR forums (I think) amounts to: Do NOT buy Chinese knock-off levers under no condition or for any reason. Ever!

Makes sense now.  I just went off the reviews on this forum and people were having good experiences with them.

Archived