The MT-07 Forum

2WheelDynoWorks ECU Reflash Review

phicurious86

2wheeldynoworks
[span style=font-size:12pt]Didn't say $300+ was out of line, just my opinion that comes from riding a Honda 919 for the last 4-5 years. That bike just works, right out of the box.[/span]
Nowadays bikes rarely do that anymore. Software restrictions have been horrific on almost anything from 06+. On the Gen4 ZX-10R, we pick up 30+hp to the rear wheel at redline. yup. 30. Prior to about ten years ago, it was hardware limitations that kept a bike back but today that isn't generally the case.  

I first went with the PCV route and soon hit the limit of what i could do. It cant do things like bump the idle speed. While it can adjust timing without a dyno tune its hard to know what direction to go without the experience that Nels has. After spending 650 or so on my Powercommander set up i decided to get the 2WDW tune. I have just completed pulling the PCV off of my bike completely, and plan to sell it at a loss. I wish i would have waited on this tuning option in the first place.  
My biggest complaint about this bike is/was the on off throttle transitions it just made the bike feel overlay cheap and cobbled together. The 2WDW tune is so much smoother it feels like a different, more expensive, bike. If Yamaha could have put in a tune like 2WDW can I bet it would add more than 300 to the overall cost of the bike. I never noticed how bad it was until I rode back to back with a 08 Z1000. While the cost of a tune is not for everyone i don't think anyone will be unhappy with the results, even with a bike in the stock format.
Thanks for the feedback wickedtwister!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nowadays bikes rarely do that anymore. Software restrictions have been horrific on almost anything from 06+. On the Gen4 ZX-10R, we pick up 30+hp to the rear wheel at redline. yup. 30. Prior to about ten years ago, it was hardware limitations that kept a bike back but today that isn't generally the case.  

I first went with the PCV route and soon hit the limit of what i could do. It cant do things like bump the idle speed. While it can adjust timing without a dyno tune its hard to know what direction to go without the experience that Nels has. After spending 650 or so on my Powercommander set up i decided to get the 2WDW tune. I have just completed pulling the PCV off of my bike completely, and plan to sell it at a loss. I wish i would have waited on this tuning option in the first place.  
My biggest complaint about this bike is/was the on off throttle transitions it just made the bike feel overlay cheap and cobbled together. The 2WDW tune is so much smoother it feels like a different, more expensive, bike. If Yamaha could have put in a tune like 2WDW can I bet it would add more than 300 to the overall cost of the bike. I never noticed how bad it was until I rode back to back with a 08 Z1000. While the cost of a tune is not for everyone i don't think anyone will be unhappy with the results, even with a bike in the stock format.
Thanks for the feedback wickedtwister!
30 HORSE! Heck, that's another bike! LOL

Do you have a tune for Akra Ti no cat, with baffle and snorkel removed? 

2wheeldynoworks
Do you have a tune for Akra Ti no cat, with baffle and snorkel removed? 

We have Akra Carbon no cat baffle and snorkel removed. The fuel differences are within 5%, running with the other map will not harm the bike, and once we do get a custom flash for it, updates are free for life. 

scordiaboy515

I'm pleased with the results also, I sent it back to Nels a second time for the Gen 2 reflash......I have a track day on Sunday so will see if there's a difference between the two.

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

Nels at 2WDW offers lifetime re-flashes if you do more mods to your bike or want him to tweak some things. I bet this is what @scordiaboy515 was talking about.

• Premium Member
phicurious86

Just a quick update on the mileage. I rode 135.4 miles on 2.67 gallons of gas = 50.7 mpg. Now that single ride is about 1mpg better than what the bike's mpg average indicator indicates at 49.3 mpg. Most of those 135 miles consisted of free way riding around 80mph.

scordiaboy515
Nels at 2WDW offers lifetime re-flashes if you do more mods to your bike or want him to tweak some things. I bet this is what @scordiaboy515 was talking about.
  The Gen 2 is more or less a refinement of the Gen 1....Nels can explain it better.....I've run 2 track days and I'm more than satisfied with the results. 

Last tank calculated MPG was 54.1. Not sure what it was stock, but that is acceptable to me knowing how I rode on the last tank.

Also, how would we know which flash we have, gen 1 or gen 2?

• Premium Member
wickedtwister

I just checked and I average 42 its a motorcycle not a Prius don't pay attention to the mpg counter and enjoy the bike. When I have one bar showing it costs me 7 bucks to fill up with 93. I don't care to get into the what octane and why discussion so lets just leave that there.

I just checked and I average 42 its a motorcycle not a Prius don't pay attention to the mpg counter and enjoy the bike. When I have one bar showing it costs me 7 bucks to fill up with 93. I don't care to get into the what octane and why discussion so lets just leave that there.
I love it, NOT A PRIUS! Point taken....haha

Archived