The MT-07 Forum

Loss of power under acceleration

mwelacha

So I installed the PC5 with my DNA filter and Akrapovic exhaust and the thing was a monster but there was still some engine popping under deceleration so I ordered the Autotune. It was taking me forever to get the thing wired up correctly and up and running but I eventually did and within the first 24 hours, I had accepted about 4 trims from my rides and on the 5th ride, the bike started bogging down in 6th gear in the cruise range. I stopped and accepted trims again and then when I took off everything was fine until a couple of miles down the road it started bogging down in the middle RPMs in both 5th and 6th. I stopped again and when I took off quickly everything was going fine and then it started bogging down again in 5th and 6th gears. I rode the bike into town and I noticed that the bike would sometimes cut off when I would coast to a stop light. I noticed while sitting at the stop light and revving the motor, that the bike is only running on one cylinder for a while but with more revs in neutral, the bike eventually fires on both cylinders. Now the bike is bogging down in all gears and I am smelling unburnt gasoline. The bike will seem fine in neutral or with the clutch engaged, but as soon as I try to take off, the bike will revert to just one cylinder and intermittently return to both cylinders with appropriate power only to immediately return to one cylinder with lack of power. I returned the PC5 to the base map so it is not running based on the trims I had sent it from the Autotune and I have unplugged the Autotune from the power commander but I am still having the problem that the bike seems fine in neutral or with the clutch engaged, but when I try to accelerate the bike loses a cylinder and I smell unburnt gas at stop lights and when I park it. There is white smoke coming out of the exhaust when the bike is only running on one cylinder and there is moisture in the exhaust pipe but I wiped and smelled the condensation and it is not gasoline. I'm really confused and I've had the bike for less than a year so any help would be appreciated! Thank you.

Guest Ralph

I would return it to standard and see if it runs right, if not I would check the plugs,
maybe you have over or under fueled it so much it's overheated or fouled a plug.

Sorry about your luck! I'm no pro so I can only tell you what I would do. I would check your spark plug connections first since that's simple to do and then I would check for water in the oil. The only reason I say that is white smoke is typical of a cracked head in a car and water getting in the oil but hopefully (and probably not that) it's not that. Maybe its just that the settings are giving it too much gas. 

Beemer

Sounds like your O2 sensor is not connector or installed correctly. The Powercommander relies 100% on the O2 sensor below 5 grand and it sounds like that is where all your problems are. Once you above 5 grand, you will be within your map and it will run fine (in theory).

Best of luck,

Dustin

Thank you guys for your help! I don't have access to the bike right now but I will check all the PCV connections and specifically the ones around the plugs. It doesn't seem like a plug would foul with less than 3500 on the bike but I don't know I guess. Would the bike intermittently fire back up and run normally for a few seconds at a time if a plug was fouled? Thanks again, I appreciate it.

What should I check for the O2 sensor? I installed the one that came with the autotune (wideband) and removed the stock one. So the O2 sensor optimizer that came with the PCV is just unplugged and sitting under my seat. It was running fine until I got the autotune up and running, so I think you might be right but what exactly should I do? I'm so f&$%#*@ confused and pissed that I put all this money into the thing and I'm afraid that it's ruining my bike. Thank you for any help.

You will need to install both to have it work. You will need to weld a bung into your stock exhaust for it to work. The stock O2 will be controlling the tune below 5k and not the powercomander map. I would remove your autotune for right now and install your stock O2 sensor with MAP off their website. It will be really close until your have time to weld a bung into your exhaust.

My mind is blown if you don't know what you are doing and still wanted to keep going once you realized you were having problems...
I guess live and learn.
If I was in your shoes I would take it to my motorcycle shop and chalk it up as lesson learned before you ruin it if you haven't already.

Thanks all. I doubt that I've ruined the motor given that here and there it will accelerate as normal and revert back to just the one cylinder. I think there is a good chance that the moisture (I still don't know where moisture would come from, though) fouled my wideband o2 sensor because the AFR reading on the PCV with autotune enabled is 9.99 again. I am going to go with the suggestion made by gcsrt to go back to the stock sensor and not use the Autotune for now. Is it possible to have an o2 sensor refurbished? I understand there is no warranty on them? That makes sense I guess given my situation where I probably ruined it. I had to ride the bike the 30 miles back to town with the bike on the one cylinder. I may have to chalk it up to a few hundred dollars loss on the Autotune if I can't find another solution because I really really don't want to weld on my exhaust for just a couple extra horses. I see now that I should have taken it to a Dyno. I wouldn't have invested the money in the thing if I knew I had to WELD a TEMPORARY bung into my $900 titanium exhaust. I should have done more homework before I invested in it. It was running fairly well with just the MAP from dynojet based on my settings.

It appears wickedtwister is having very good results with his wideband only. I assume it is just a matter of doing more research and trying again next weekend. It's a setback but you will get it figured out in the future.

Thanks gcsrt. I am back on the stock o2 sensor and running okay for now so thanks for that suggestion. I would really like if I knew what I was doing though so I could make EDUCATED guesses about what to do when I have a problem come up. I do really want the autotune working. If my wide band o2 isn't ruined I need to figure out a way to bypass or trick the stock computer system. If it is ruined I'm going to chalk it up to a loss and enjoy the bike as-is.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm pretty confident I killed it. Maybe just one spark plug out but it has been back on stock o2 sensor and was great for a couple weeks until it started bogging down again in mid to low RPMs. Then it started bogging down and missing all over the place. But I was 100 miles from home so I thought I'd give it a try. I thought at first the PCV was just working too hard and the unit was faulty because it was heating up and if I just kept the throttle at one position, say 30% it seemed to work fine. Normal power and everything pretty much with just a miss here and there but if I pulled in the clutch and let off the gas to give the PCV a break for a minute then it would work okay again. But then I parked for a few minutes and started it up again and I was missing a cylinder. I had it on the temp gauge because I figured if it was lean it would be hot but it never got too hot. The gas mileage was crazy good though so maybe it WAS lean? I don't know. I'm hoping I just killed a spark plug or maybe the o2 sensor? I'm getting it towed the last 50 miles home either way and I can work on it later. Is this a faulty PCV since it did this exact same thing with my Autotune o2 sensor? What do you guys think? Thank you so much for any help.

Archived