The MT-07 Forum

FZ-07 compared to my old bike

rexfire

Hello, I am new here and will put an intro in the new member section as well.  I used to have a 2003 R6 which i sold awhile ago and have gotten the bike bug once again.  Should have never sold my bike.  Anyways now that I am looking at a new bike I dont know if I necesarilly need a sport bike.  I would use the bike for a 70mile round trip commute when I am able to and just some cruisng around fun when I can also.  I am not going to a track or anything, but I like semi-agressive riding at times.  My question is how does the FZ-07 compare in performance to the R6?  I will try to go test ride one.  I dont want a dog. 

• Premium Member
snowdriftless

FZ-07 is a good bike. Depending on your experience the FZ-09 would be good too. As long as you don't mind 35 miles of no windscreen (Or you can always get one added). The FZs are more street and city friendly than your r6. It makes about the same torque but much lower in the rev range.

P1: Vice? I have no vice, I'm as pure as the driven snow!
P2: Yeah but you've been drifting

All the gear all the time!

The commute isnt all highway it is country roads/county highway mix 60mph and under for the commute.

The fact that there is torque everywhere, at any speed and in any gear will blow your mind coming from an old R6.

I also came from an R6 street bike. The FZ-07 is not aggressive like the R6 in any way. I sometimes miss the acceleration, sharp handling, focused body position and shear badassery of the R6. It was exciting and challenging to ride well. I chose the FZ-07 because I wanted to slow down and sight see. It is perfect for that, not much else. I would not be happy with this bike if I didn't have my dedicated track R6 to rip around on. Don't get me wrong, the FZ-07 is a fun bike to ride and has it's own endearing qualities. You might like it if you can step away from riding an angry machine.

insert code here

I am by no means a track rider.  Have you been on the FZ-09?  Would that fit the bill better.  I will only have one bike.  The handling is what I really liked about the R6.  Does the FZ-09 handle well or should I look at just dealing with commuting on an R6.

"I am by no means a track rider. Have you been on the FZ-09? Would that fit the bill better. I will only have one bike. The handling is what I really liked about the R6. Does the FZ-09 handle well or should I look at just dealing with commuting on an R6"

I have not ridden an FZ-09. I only got opinions from people who have ridden the FZ-09 on the track. It has more horsepower, but out of the box the suspension is really bad, much worse than the FZ-07.
Some Traxxion cartridges, or emulators and a 8983 Penske or a re-valve of the stock shock, depending on your budget would transform either bike.

All I know is that these days, you couldn't give me an R6 (or R1) in exchange for my FZ-07.
The FZ-07 is smaller-feeling and lighter than a YZF-R6, and the powerband and power delivery are excellent for street riding, be it commuting or sport riding.

• Premium Member

I'm happy I sold my ninja 600 years ago...the fz-07 is like riding a dirt bike to me... I'm glad I dont ride rocket anymore for many reasons... Next bike will be the fz-09 and that will fit the bill for everything I need...if you like riding 450f dirt bikes the fz will suit you well...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

kakusaizou

The FZ-07 is what you want. I have a GSXR600 and as much as I like the performance and styling, the seat position just kills your lower back. Half the time I'm bitching and moving around on the bike to relieve the ache.

Although the FZ07 lacks top end power, ripping the bike around with its torquiness is just as fun...and doesn't kill your back.

I have ridden an FZ09 and it was quite a bit more jam although the suspension does need some work. I think it would be better choice although you would need to do the front and rear suspension to make yourself happy.

I dont have 15 minutes to spare to watch that again but did C2W hit the freeway on his 07?

Id suggest something else if you're going to be taking the bike on the freeway more often than not. The 07 is probably THE best around town bike currently offered. The price, features and styling set it above all the rest but its...not really very fun on the freeway for extended trips. The bike sits at about 6500 rpm in sixth gear at 75 and while its not exactly a vibratory mess, it isnt a super pleasurable ride especially down here in Florida where EVERYONE does 85 and you have to start pushing the bike.

• Premium Member

I cant compare it to a R6 but I have a Buell thunderbolt and as much as I like the Buell to tool around on the FZ-07 is my first choice hands down.

I commute 130 miles a day and the FZ-07 has plenty of power to pass. The seating position is very comfortable and with a small wind screen 70 mph upright is no problem 80 plus and I have to tuck it in . I fill up once a day 6 bucks or so, I get 47 mpg but its known to get over 50 with the right rider. The FZ-09 I would have to fill up twice a day because the tank is the same and the mpg is worse. Also the 09 would be more on insurance for me.

MPG, price and looks is what sold me

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member
I dont have 15 minutes to spare to watch that again but did C2W hit the freeway on his 07? 
Id suggest something else if you're going to be taking the bike on the freeway more often than not. The 07 is probably THE best around town bike currently offered. The price, features and styling set it above all the rest but its...not really very fun on the freeway for extended trips. The bike sits at about 6500 rpm in sixth gear at 75 and while its not exactly a vibratory mess, it isnt a super pleasurable ride especially down here in Florida where EVERYONE does 85 and you have to start pushing the bike.
FYI I ride 75- 80mph no problem, its still in ECO mode at 74 mph lol

4500 at 65 mph? Um...maybe my chain is too tight...lol.

Im nowhere near that.

FYI I ride 75- 80mph no problem, its still in ECO mode at 74 mph lol

Who actually rides at 74 mph? :P

• Premium Member

Well I guess I'm getting to old or don't like paying tickets.

Well I guess I'm getting to old or don't like paying tickets.
Id say you're a reasonable driver. 
Traffic here in Florida is anything but reasonable. :(

4500 at 65 mph? Um...maybe my chain is too tight...lol. 
Im nowhere near that.
I'm midway through 4k rpm at 65mph on my bike, 5k is well into the 70's

• Premium Member

FWIW & the value of differing opines, I ride about 80% freeway Mo-Fri.

I don't have any real complaints at 70, 75 & sometimes 80 mph for extended bouts. For me, it's about 45 minutes of riding in these conditions and 15 minutes prior being back and low speed roads.

The vibes and wind don't really wear me down too much. When I'm doing freeway speeds and riding into a 15 mph headwind or greater, it's a little bit more of a burden but not enough for me to wish I had a different bike.

Now for rider vitals; I'm a 26 year old who's in "athletic" shape, sort of small framed at 5'7" & 150 lbs and used to ride a 39 year old 4 cylinder Honda. I haven't been spoiled by anything more technologically advanced or fully faired.

Not saying anything to detract from others point of view, just giving my experiences for consideration.

Everything went braap.

Archived