The MT-07 Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway Ride

pantheraleo

pantheraleo

Here is my bike and my girl's bike.  It was a great deal of fun chasing each other on the BRP.  We ran into these three guys who had traveled down from Indiana and rode with them for a bit.  They were on a CBR 1000 RR, an R6, and an FZ-08.  We ended up riding about 50 miles together before splitting up.

BRP%20Girls_zpspyvzpt8g.jpgBRP%20Girls%202_zpsbfmnjvra.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the views we enjoyed.

The BRP is a truly amazing road, check it out if you are ever in the Mid-Atlantic.  The speed limit on 95% of the road is 45, and we got stopped by the Rangers.  They let us off with a warning since we were only speeding a bit (56 in a 45).  So stay close to the speed limits.  In many places, the road forces you to do so!  

We have now explored all of it in Virginia.  Sometime in June, we are going to North Carolina to finish it.

BRP%20valley_zpsohcsdgoc.jpgBRP%20Purg%20Mt_zps7u3uq88o.jpg

O judgment! Thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me.
My heart is in the coffin there with Caesar,
And I must pause...till it come back to me.

bmwpowere36m3

Was on the BRP two years ago... awesome, awesome ride. The rangers also waived at me to slow down ;p

pantheraleo
Was on the BRP two years ago... awesome, awesome ride. The rangers also waived at me to slow down ;p
They kinda blew nasty at my girl, saying she was "going well over 60", and " this ain't your racetrack". Uh, yeah...

When I challenged that assertion of her speed, the guy showed me the radar: 56 mph. He actually apologized and said he had dyslexia (I think), saying he reversed the numbers in his head. The Truth? Who knows? To be fair, she had on a racing suit, riding on a supersport, so she looks like she is flying, even at moderate speed, to the uninitiated.

I accepted his apology and we moved on. It was too pretty of a day to spend arguing.

bmwpowere36m3
They kinda blew nasty at my girl, saying she was "going well over 60", and " this ain't your racetrack". Uh, yeah... 
When I challenged that assertion of her speed, the guy showed me the radar: 56 mph. He actually apologized and said he had dyslexia (I think), saying he reversed the numbers in his head. The Truth? Who knows? To be fair, she had on a racing suit, riding on a supersport, so she looks like she is flying, even at moderate speed, to the uninitiated.

I accepted his apology and we moved on. It was too pretty of a day to spend arguing.
From what I heard from others before taking the trip and afterwards, my own experience...  I'd say they are pretty tough on enforcement.  Saw quite a few people pulled over.  It was getting really late in the day, nobody left on the road, when the rangers drove by and waived for me to slow down.  I bet if it was earlier in the day they'd pull me over.
Having a 40 MPH speed limit doesn't help the matter, but I can also understand that reasoning.  It's just too easy to blast along most of the BRP at 55+ mph.

• Premium Member

I love it out there. I try to get there at least one time a year but I'm normally in the Z06 ( brother lives in SC so I make a stop to see him also). Love to take the bike but its way to far from MI :(

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

• Premium Member

By the way some of the best roads are off the blue ridge 55 mph ....

2015 FZ-07 2003 2014 GSXR 1000

pantheraleo
By the way some of the best roads are off the blue ridge 55 mph ....
56 (east and west) very good roads!

60 (east and west) sweet roads

Rt 6 from Scottsville all the way up to Afton Mountain is spirited.

I'm sure there are many more. Frankly, nearly every road around the City of Roanoke proved to be fun. Roanoke was our base of operations for Saturday and Sunday night.

Archived