Sign in to follow this  
ornery

Messenger Bag Questions w/ Bonus Tiny Video!

ornery
Are messenger bags out of vogue?  Were they ever in?  Does anyone here bother with them, or are backpacks the only way to go?

I was on my way to Walmart in search of one, and had this genius motorist following me:

[video src=https://youtu.be/ABzxxFL32T8]

Walmart had zero messenger bags, so I went to Dick's Sporting Goods.  The 20 year old gal I asked for directions to their messenger bags, didn't even know what I was talking about!  I've never used a backpack, but I'm used to lugging a camera bag around.  Is a messenger bag too much like a "men's purse"?

131455.jpg

tino206
hobbs
The kriega bag looks nice. If you aren't opposed to online shopping, check out Maxpedition. They make some really awesome, extremely durable packs and have a lot of messenger bags.

I personally was never a fan of single strap bags, but nothing against 'em.

jetgirl
I just use a bag with draw strings and I hold it down with a cargo net that I attach to the straps under the passenger seat. If it rains I put everything in a plastic bag.  It's a very cheap solution as I can't stand wearing backpacks. And yeah the messenger bag kind of does look like a man purse. ;)

ornery
At the moment, I bungee my lunch to the tail inside plastic shopping bags. I'm curious what there is to bungee to, when the Fender Eliminator Kit is added? I also do tooling pickup runs at work, and can only stuff so much in my pockets. A tail bag would be OK until the bike has to be left unattended. When I run into a store, I already have to lug my helmet around, so whatever bag or backpack I get, can't be too cumbersome.

snowdriftless
I remember messenger bags were popular with the bicycling crowd, and still are.

I have used both a messenger bag and backpack. A messenger bag is good for when you need to access your bag without taking it off. If you don't need to access the stuff you are holding until you are off the bike a backpack works find.

I think a backpack in general is more useful and easier to carry.

Kwaipuak
I have a nice leather messenger bag for work, backpack for when I ride. After moving to Thailand I have fully adopted a satchel/man purse. So fucking handy.

rowdy
I have a Kriega 20 and a messenger bag, and a backpack. When I'm commuting I mainly use the messenger bag. It's much easier on/off than a backpack, and easier to get stuff in and out too. I've got one that has a stabilizer strap across the bottom so it doesn't swing around freely once buckled up.
It is definitely the most convenient of the 3. I use the backpack when I need to haul more stuff. I use the Kriega for longer rides when I don't want anything strapped to me, but I never use it as a messenger bag or backpack.

so1102
I've always thought a messenger bag was just a murse, but that's just me -- and I am in my mid/late 40's, so what do I know? :) When I need to carry stuff I ride with an Ogio Mach 5 backpack.

ornery
I have a nice leather messenger bag for work, backpack for when I ride. After moving to Thailand I have fully adopted a satchel/man purse. So f@#%ing handy.
Honestly, men need "purses" more than women, maybe I should just use my tool belt!  Picture that, walking through a store carrying a helmet (w/ GoPro no less) and a tool belt full of every day carry knives, flashlights, Leatherman, sunglasses, microfiber towels, detailing spray and room for everything you'll be buying from the store at that time.  I guess the pouches better be the size of saddle bags! ;-| 

hippiebikerchick
I see messenger bags frequently in the metro SF area. Mostly on bicycles but sometimes on motorcycles and scooters.

ornery
I see messenger bags frequently in the metro SF area...
OK, that tears it.  I'll get a backpack! :P 

motomeek
Haha @wingnutted beat me to the Chrome reference. They have some pretty cool backpacks too.

+1 for Kriega

I currently just use hiking backpacks I've found at sporting good stores. The one I use now is from Columbia. Has a vent in the back so I don't get so hot, chest strap (has a waist one too but I don't use it), and multiple compartments to hold all my art stuff and lunches upright. I just sewed on a bit more reflective strips onto it for night riding.
  • Like 1

ornery
Thanks for the Kriega recommendations. It does sound like I can make it work. Could someone fill me in on living with the US-20? If I take my bag full of lunch etc. out to the bike, I merely snap four latches, right? But, what if the bag was empty when I removed it? That means I need to loosen the four straps to accommodate the thicker bag? When I arrive, I release the four clips and cart the bag in using a carry strap. Where is that strap stored? Are the straps left on the bike able to be walked off with? If I want to ride without the bag, do those straps need to tucked away, under the rear seat for example?